Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - Denton, Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we are talking 2 , then Wichita Falls and Childress would make sense, but can Tesla afford that much granularity on secondary routes over the whole USA?

They will have to be if they want to achieve ICE equivalence. In general if you can't get to where you're going by using your favourite route, for the majority of people it will be a fail. I'm not particularly happy I have to use the Interstates to drive to Nebraska. It adds 60 miles each way to the trip and is rather unpleasant compared to the state highways.

If we are talking 2 , then Wichita Falls and Childress would make sense, but can Tesla afford that much granularity on secondary routes over the whole USA?

They will have to be if they want to achieve ICE equivalence. In general if you can't get to where you're going by using your favourite route, for the majority of people it will be a fail. I'm not particularly happy I have to use the Interstates to drive to Nebraska. It adds 60 miles each way to the trip and is rather unpleasant compared to the state highways.

Can't disagree.
Put another way, "Reddy, your post needs more of a Californian accent"

But you know, Wichita Falls and Childress might be easier than (getting power to, and finding amenities at) some of the remote I-10 West connecting sites though.

Rick

Last edited:
I agree that Tesla may not be able to afford that much granularity on secondary routes over the whole USA. But some states are geographically challenging as far as vast open spaces and Texas is surely one of them.

Any updates on the Denton supercharger ?

Just this in the project from 6/25:

WA101. As a condition of approval, applicants conducting land disturbing activities will complete the online construction site survey. This survey can found at http://www.cityofdenton.com/watershed , select the ‘construction stormwater regulations’ button.

WA102. Site is part of a larger common plan of development greater than five (5) acres and requires compliance with state stormwater permit (TXR150000). Notice of Intent (NOI) to discharge stormwater must be submitted to the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). Submit a copy of NOI to Watershed Protection Department (DDC §3.18.5.A).

WA103. Provide a copy of the SWPPP (stormwater pollution prevention plan) to the Watershed Protection Department for review. (If this is going to be covered under RED Development’s SWPPP, please let us know;

WA104. Submit an Erosion Control plan for review.

WA105. Site Notice must be posted at construction site prior to initial inspection.

WA106. Project site operator must contact Watershed Protection for initial inspection prior to beginning project to ensure compliance with stormwater regulations and proper installation of appropriate BMPs.

I am assuming this means the ball is back in Tesla's (or Black & Veatch's) court?

It sounds so simple:

Powering the Charge for Electric Cars - YouTube

Last edited:
Can't disagree.
Put another way, "Reddy, your post needs more of a Californian accent"

But you know, Wichita Falls and Childress might be easier than (getting power to, and finding amenities at) some of the remote I-10 West connecting sites though.

Rick

Everyone, and I mean everyone in Houston and Dallas EAST Texas ETC, who travels to Denver (or Colorado for that matter) takes route 287 through Wichita Falls and Childress. So those locations are really high on my list.

Does anyone know where we can submit our "requests". :)

Everyone, and I mean everyone in Houston and Dallas EAST Texas ETC, who travels to Denver (or Colorado for that matter) takes route 287 through Wichita Falls and Childress. So those locations are really high on my list.

Does anyone know where we can submit our "requests". :)
This route was actually in the 2014 plan -- but it disappeared in the 2015 plan when I-20 between Dallas and Atlanta was added (and I-49 between Shreveport and Baton Rouge). Personally I think I-20 is a higher priority, but look forward to seeing 287 added in the next couple of years.

This route was actually in the 2014 plan -- but it disappeared in the 2015 plan when I-20 between Dallas and Atlanta was added (and I-49 between Shreveport and Baton Rouge). Personally I think I-20 is a higher priority, but look forward to seeing 287 added in the next couple of years.

Yes I20 is needed BUT more of a crisis is I10 between Columbus, TX and El Paso, TX? For that matter I10 all the Way from Houston to Casa Grande/Phoenix, AZ is WAY behind? Living in Houston , I can only go North or East.

Yes I20 is needed BUT more of a crisis is I10 between Columbus, TX and El Paso, TX? For that matter I10 all the Way from Houston to Casa Grande/Phoenix, AZ is WAY behind? Living in Houston , I can only go North or East.
I hear you, but I-10 is one of the least traveled roads in the state (about 5K vehicles a day). The most troubling thing about that I-10 installation in 2017 is that there's no dot at Van Horn. I don't think there's any way we could make it between whatever dot that is at the I-10 / I-20 interchange and El Paso (Fort Stockton to El Paso is ~240 miles and that would be "fun" trying to complete when the speed limit on I-10 is 80 mph).

It's hardly a "crisis" that we can't drive I-10 through west Texas in a Tesla. As bollar said, that's one of the least traveled interstates in the country. Sure I would like to be able to go everywhere, but realistically Tesla has to prioritize building out the most used routes and where superchargers will encourage the most sales.

Living in Houston you don't just go north and east now.You can also go south (to Galveston, which doesn't require supercharging to get there) and if the 2015 map is correct you'll be able to travel to south Texas by the end of the year. You can go west to Austin and San Antonio, just not further west than that, and I'll wager that the majority of westbound travel out of Houston has one of those two cities as the destination.

Actually, if you are traveling from FL to AZ, the preferred route would be I10 all the way, not I10 from FL to TX and then heading north to catch I40 to AZ. Doing that adds time and mileage.dds mileage.
For sure. That route adds 266 miles onto that trip -- 2519 vs 2785 miles (starting in Key West). But compare that to Dallas / Atlanta -- down to I-10 and back up via I-65 adds 368 miles (781 vs 1149 miles). TxDOT says that I-20 has ~32,000 vehicles a day at the Louisiana border, versus ~ 10,000 around Van Horn.

IMO, Tesla has made the right call in this case by prioritizing regional high(er) density supercharger routes. But don't get me wrong -- I'm excited to be able to get to Big Bend, Carlsbad Caverns and beyond as some point as well.

That is my experience too.

I wish they would rethink this for the one or two superchargers it would take to bridge DFW with Amarillo direct. Last thing I read about 287 traffic was 35K/day.

TxDOT says 11K/ day around Childress. Check out this map and select the AADT overlay for the most recent annual average daily traffic count data: Statewide Planning Map

It does highlight that maybe I-40 east of Amarillo should have been deferred in exchange for US-287.

TxDOT says 11K/ day around Childress. Check out this map and select the AADT overlay for the most recent annual average daily traffic count data: Statewide Planning Map

It does highlight that maybe I-40 east of Amarillo should have been deferred in exchange for US-287.

Nice site and yes it does highlight that I-40 east might have been deferred. The 35K/day 287 traffic peters out around Decatur, and drops to 20K by WF. Still 2x of I40 E of Amarillo.

Permit is approved!!! Let's hope the bid has already been submitted, and the installer has been chosen. I was told it takes 21 days after permit is approved before construction begins. I was also told that ALL equipment is shipped to locations, and held at the trucking terminals until the installer arrives. No shipping delays, just need the installer now.
DentonApproved.jpg