Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burlington, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we go tomorrow at noon for a love-in. Thursday is the ribbon cutting i see, anyone know WHEN?

Here is the invite.

Join us to Celebrate our Newest Supercharger!

We are excited to announce our first Supercharger location in Washington. This newest addition to the Tesla Supercharger network will open Thursday, July 18th in Burlington, WA. To commemorate this important milestone for Tesla and our Pacific Northwest community, we would like to invite you, your family and your friends to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony and celebrate with us.

When:
Thursday, July 18th at 10:00am

Where:
Burlington Supercharger
9384 Old Highway 99 North
Burlington, WA 98233
(Located in the Fairfield Inn parking lot)

Please reply to this email if you plan to attend. Help us plan by letting us know the approximate number of guests you plan to bring.

Thank you for your continued support. We look forward to seeing you on Thursday.

Best,
Troy Jones
Senior Regional Sales Manager

Tesla Motors | 3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
Unsubscribe
%7ba8fd9262-d4f1-4fb2-b1ca-f3c354d8b498%7d_wmark_213_29.png

I didn't get an invite. I feel like Cinderella.

I was wondering if they are going to do a ribbon cutting in Centralia too.
Nor did I get invited.

As to Centralia, as I understand it the Burlington gala is supposed to cover Centralia as well. An ADK worker was changing signs today and said the plan was to open Centralia tomorrow, Thursday. He didn't seem to know anything about Woodburn, OR.

The new signs, plus the green striping, appear to meet the requirements of Washington's recently passed legislation imposing fines for parking while not charging.

I charged today at 190 MPH. After lunch at Bob's (good burgers), Jeff from Tesla was there and didn't say anything about not charging until the opening. But, then again, he was busy showing his car to three WA State Policemen who were quite impressed.

Attachments

• burlington3.jpg
    burlington3.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 2,397
  • burlington4.jpg
    burlington4.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 2,413
Not quite.

As a quick background for those reading, DC power in Watts can be calculated by multiplying the voltage times the current flowing. For example if you are charging at 350V and 255A, you are charging at 89250 Watts (or ~90KW). If you want to convert that into a Rated miles per hour number, you take the 89,250 Watts and divide it by 307 Rated Watts per mile, which yields 290 miles per hour of charge. I've always found the car display to average over some amount of time that doesn't make sense for the Supercharger so those numbers almost never look quite right on the display if you do the math.

Because when charging the batteries you are following the voltage of the pack you will be charging at around 300V (316Vish) when you have 0 miles or range and about 400V (404Vish) when you are nearly full. To keep charging at the same level of power, as the voltage increases (the pack filling up) the current will decrease.

I'll use even numbers to make the math simple here.

Battery Level Voltage Current(90KW) Current(120KW)
0% 300V 300A 400A
25% 325V 277A 370A
50% 350V 257A 342A
75% 375V 240A 320A

Now the above does not take into account the tapering down that happens near 0, or above 50%, but it should give a clearer idea of whats going on and what to expect with the bump to 120KW charging.

Peter

Just to add a real example as life is always a little complicated, at 1 mile range left, the pack voltage reads 316V, and when the charger starts the current flow and charge voltage are 339V and 233A (79KW).

Right, so current only has to get up to 292A to charge at 120kW, no?

<Unfortunately because you are directly charging the batteries (rather than just trying to move power) you can't arbitrarily raise the voltage and current together. The Voltage you are seeing during charging is just a bit above the pack voltage, which is why as the car charges from empty to full you will see the voltage go up from the low 300s to the low 400s.>

<When they raise the charge rate, you will see the current make a substantial jump, and the voltage stay nearly the same. >

This is the part that doesn't seem right. They have to raise the current, but not to 350-400A.

Last edited:
Battery Level Voltage Current(90KW) Current(120KW)
0% 300V 300A 400A
25% 325V 277A 370A
50% 350V 257A 342A
75% 375V 240A 320A

But can they just force more current into the battery, like that? I thought to increase the current, they need to increase the voltage, so that the battery draws more current.

In my admittedly rudimentary understanding of charging lithium ion batteries, there are two phases. In the first phase, the constant current phase, you adjust the charging voltage to keep the current at the target value. In the second phase, the constant voltage phase, once the voltage reaches the target voltage, you hold the voltage constant, and the current naturally declines as the SOC goes up.

The only thing the charger can control directly is the voltage it supplies.

You have the right idea going. The delta V that will be applied to charge at the 120KW currents will be in the 11% range (above pack voltage) rather than the ~7% we see now, so there will be an increase in voltage, but it won't be very large.

Peter

But can they just force more current into the battery, like that? I thought to increase the current, they need to increase the voltage, so that the battery draws more current.

In my admittedly rudimentary understanding of charging lithium ion batteries, there are two phases. In the first phase, the constant current phase, you adjust the charging voltage to keep the current at the target value. In the second phase, the constant voltage phase, once the voltage reaches the target voltage, you hold the voltage constant, and the current naturally declines as the SOC goes up.

The only thing the charger can control directly is the voltage it supplies.

Last edited:
Great puppy face Chad!

I look forward to the pictures as well.

I got an email from Tesla about 10 minutes ago to say they were open. I see them listed in the addresses on the Supercharger page at Teslamotors.com but no red dots for us yet! ;)

Super excited for them to be open for you all!

Cheers!

A few more pictures from Burlington. I suspect there are better ones around. There was very good turn out and great show of support from Tesla owners. There were several Tesla employees with Troy Jones, the regional sales manager, speaking. And some press, from memory, Komo 4 TV and print press.

First couple of pictures to just try and give an impression of crowd and Teslas lined up, including a Model S BC2BC Rally veteran. :rolleyes:

Last picture is the ribbon cutting (v2) with (maybe) a state representative cutting the ribbon. I missed the detail in the introductions so if someone knows who did the ribbon cutting please post.

bursuper.jpeg

bursuper2.jpeg

bursuper3.jpeg

Last edited:
It was great to meet a number of people from here. There were about 40 model Ss and 2 roadsters - both yellow, double Chads?

It's true; I really am everywhere. I used a Tardis to attend this event twice.

Actually the other yellow Roadster was my evil twin, DaveD. He's pure evil except for his exceptional taste in cars. My yellow Roadster is the one that is far better-looking.

It was a perfect event - the "blah blah blah" portion was very short, and they had donuts (I got twice as many, since I attended twice) in addition to free power. Sorry I didn't meet more people, but I had to clear out for a meeting.

By the way, the puppy eyes didn't work - still no charging for Roadsters at Supercharger stations. Fortunately we're reasonably well set for Roadster HPCs around here, so I'm not too worried - and with the Superchargers in now, the HPCs shouldn't be overrun with Model Ses.