Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA - Expansion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a more detailed look at the Megacharger in Baker:
Nothing on you for posting this but I’m extra cranky today.

This guy makes these videos usually talking like he’s somebody on the internet because ‘fill in the blank’ important person follows him on Twitter. Some of these videos have significant technical inaccuracies and I cringe that we (collectively), a.k.a. the internet, have elevated him to the god of all things EV and electrical. I’m sure at the rate we’re going he’ll have his honorary electrical engineering degree in no time.

I’m going off on a tangent now but don’t get me started on the devaluation of the word ‘engineer’. What with ‘customer service engineer’ or ’sales engineer’ being actual titles now.

Anyway, carry on. I’m done ranting now so I guess I’ll go tell some kids to get off my lawn.

Still rather charge elsewhere, until bathroom upgrade. Yes, V2, V3 or V4 means less to me than clean bathroom. Hopefully this location“s expansion will draw more crowd away from Yermo.
I’ve been here once before, the Shell station that this is based on, around had reasonably large and clean bathrooms… buying a coke is always nice too. Or a Jersey mikes sub with a Blizzard from DQ!. gotta eat it before charging is finished though, nobody eats in the car!

As stated above, it is obviously temporary, it connects to the main electrical of the V2 system. It is on a pallet a placed in front of new V3 PSU stalls. It uses a proprietary Tesla Semi connector, one Tesla hopes might become a standard but for now it is their stations for their trucks. They obviously have a reason to put some of these temporary stalls in, maybe to set up a Reno to Fremont to Texas charging highway so they can use their own Semis to move things between factories.

The only thing Tesla confirmed was that V4 was MW capable, not that Semi and CT would use the same systems (please don't confuse megawatt-capable and MegaCharger). In fact, the latest CT prototypes only have NACS receptacles for charging so for now, CT will only be 250kw on V3 and maybe 350kw on V4 once they can up the voltage.

It will be interesting to see if any other sites on the way to Texas can handle these MegaCharger units (MCU). They would need enough headroom on a V2 system (transformer limited capacity) for a V3 cabinet or they may have to turn the system down to create the headroom needed for this. Or they may just be adding them at new sites along the way.

As stated above, it is obviously temporary, it connects to the main electrical of the V2 system. It is on a pallet a placed in front of new V3 PSU stalls. It uses a proprietary Tesla Semi connector, one Tesla hopes might become a standard but for now it is their stations for their trucks. They obviously have a reason to put some of these temporary stalls in, maybe to set up a Reno to Fremont to Texas charging highway so they can use their own Semis to move things between factories.

The only thing Tesla confirmed was that V4 was MW capable, not that Semi and CT would use the same systems (please don't confuse megawatt-capable and MegaCharger). In fact, the latest CT prototypes only have NACS receptacles for charging so for now, CT will only be 250kw on V3 and maybe 350kw on V4 once they can up the voltage.

It will be interesting to see if any other sites on the way to Texas can handle these MegaCharger units (MCU). They would need enough headroom on a V2 system (transformer limited capacity) for a V3 cabinet or they may have to turn the system down to create the headroom needed for this. Or they may just be adding them at new sites along the way.
I believe this is for testing purposes only and not meant for any type of public consumption at all. Med/Heavy duty charging is still in its infancy and I don't personally see it growing too much too soon. If anything some other company would come and build a charging depot before Tesla does unless they change their priority and start selling their Semi's to more customers.

I would be hesitant to believe that Interstate 15 is the preferred route for truckers to head from Reno or Fremont to Austin.

From the Gigafactory it would be a straight shot down US95 to Vegas, then onto US93 to Kingman. I am not sure whether it is faster from Kingman to Austin via Interstate 40 to Amarillo thence SE on US287/US380 to Dallas/Fort Worth or if it is better to continue to Phoenix then onto Interstate 10.

maybe to set up a Reno to Fremont to Texas charging highway so they can use their own Semis to move things between factories.oa

Similarly, from the Bay Area to Austin it seems like either one of the routes described above would be better than driving an hour out of one's way to Baker and then taking Nipton Road to back door Kingman via Laughlin. That road is not in the best of condition until you cross into Nevada.

I would be hesitant to believe that Interstate 15 is the preferred route for truckers to head from Reno or Fremont to Austin.

From the Gigafactory it would be a straight shot down US95 to Vegas, then onto US93 to Kingman. I am not sure whether it is faster from Kingman to Austin via Interstate 40 to Amarillo thence SE on US287/US380 to Dallas/Fort Worth or if it is better to continue to Phoenix then onto Interstate 10.

Similarly, from the Bay Area to Austin it seems like either one of the routes described above would be better than driving an hour out of one's way to Baker and then taking Nipton Road to back door Kingman via Laughlin. That road is not in the best of condition until you cross into Nevada.
Looking at a map, completely agree that Baker shouldn’t be on a potential Semi route. 80-580-5-10 would make more sense if they were doing Reno to Fremont to Austin. Having not driven that route, I wonder if there’s benefits in terms of geography and range that might have them looking at alternatives. There’s no avoiding the grade on 80 but maybe they are trying to avoid the grapevine? Still quite odd.

Reactions: 1100MCM

And answers appear…Looks like i5 south to Compton then east on 91 to 10? Must be something in Compton area they need to offload (big delivery center?) because something closer to the 5/10 interchange would be more direct to head east.
1690935530206.png

Status
Not open for further replies.