Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Supercharger - Australian Index

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed the list of Superchargers on the Tesla website is missing 8 Superchargers. There's seemingly no pattern to the ones that are missing. For example, it has Campbelltown, the most recently opened Supercharger, but it doesn't list Hollydene (Jerrys Plains) which has been open for years. It also incorrectly lists one destination charger in this list (Centennial Vineyards):

The map though shows them all. Which is probably more important 😄

My count says Tesla has 58 operational superchargers. The ones missing from the list are:
  • Box Hill VIC
  • Cann River VIC
  • Hollydene NSW
  • Moonee Ponds VIC
  • Rochedale QLD
  • Shepparton VIC
  • Toowoomba QLD
  • Yea VIC

Are there any signs of progress on Superchargers in Childers, Rockhampton, Mackay or anywhere in between?
As much as I’d like to see Tesla catch up with Superchargers installs across the whole of Australia including my home state of WA I doubt there’s any long section of highway more behind schedule than Brisbane to Cairns. I drove this section in September 2019 partly using the QLD govt 50kw DC chargers, since then the charging infrastructure has improved slightly but the reliability of each site has fallen rapidly, against that the number of EVs on the road would have increased 10x at least.

Are there any signs of progress on Superchargers in Childers, Rockhampton, Mackay or anywhere in between?
As much as I’d like to see Tesla catch up with Superchargers installs across the whole of Australia including my home state of WA I doubt there’s any long section of highway more behind schedule than Brisbane to Cairns. I drove this section in September 2019 partly using the QLD govt 50kw DC chargers, since then the charging infrastructure has improved slightly but the reliability of each site has fallen rapidly, against that the number of EVs on the road would have increased 10x at least.
Well, they removed some from that area from their website map...
Then it was announced that Tesla was one of the successful recipients of Qld Govt funding for sites in Queensland (similar to NSW; however unlike NSW the specific sites were not named) ...
Then the sites were re-added to Tesla's website map.

So we don't know, but we can join the dots.

These two in particular have their markers in a more precise location, both of which match the leaked addresses from late 2022:
  • Bundaberg - Hinkler Central (note - marker used to be Childers)
  • Mackay - Ooralea Shopping Centre

Looks as though the next round of voting for superchargers is up on the Tesla website. Suggest that we don’t vote for sites that already have funding committed.

or for metropolitan sites.............brisbane doesnt need a million superchargers for apartment dwellers. tesla should rather commit to putting more AC chargers out there. How many AC chargers can they provide for the cost of one supercharger site..... maybe 1000?

i do get superchargers make for better propaganda. I met (clearly very affluent) people who drive P100Ds who dont know what an AC charger is or that you can get a i.e. 11kw charger at home. or what their umc is for.

That's because they probably have lifetime free supercharging.

nope. they just have no clue. They also complained to me before than when they finally used an AC charger they didn get why it took so long and that the "charger must be broken".

I dont think many people here understand that theres many people who just want to "drive".

or for metropolitan sites.............brisbane doesnt need a million superchargers for apartment dwellers. tesla should rather commit to putting more AC chargers out there. How many AC chargers can they provide for the cost of one supercharger site..... maybe 1000?

i do get superchargers make for better propaganda. I met (clearly very affluent) people who drive P100Ds who dont know what an AC charger is or that you can get a i.e. 11kw charger at home. or what their umc is for.
7kw to 11kw Workplace chargers, tens of thousands of them across each capital city set to around 20-25 cents per unit and only switching on during daytime solar excess.

Reactions: johnchidgey
I'm surprised this site: supercharge.info hasn't been linked in this thread. If it's inappropriate to do so, please accept my apologies, and delete this post!

I find this incredibly handy for research (I'm a paid-up member of the Model Y Waiting group).

You can "Manage Filters" with the blue icon top left, setting Country and State to always be displayed as a filter. You can then filter to Australia, and potentially your state. The site tracks changes in staus (approved, construction, open, closed), and you can plot them on a map by using icons at top right.

Again, apologies if this is stepping on anyone's toes or inappropriate!

I'm surprised this site: supercharge.info hasn't been linked in this thread.
@Chuq is one of the people that updates supercharge.info.

I believe the threshold for inclusion is somewhat higher there - sites will appear here at the "discussed in the press/council minutes" stage. This thread also functions as an index to the individual discussion threads on each Supercharger, where you can keep up with the latest RUMINT.

I'm surprised this site: supercharge.info hasn't been linked in this thread.

The data quality and design there looks… poor. Filter on Australia and Sites under Construction and it provides a list of 59 sites most of which are in actually in service. Now maybe this just shows the date those sites first started construction as some kind of historical record, but if so that’s really confusing and terrible database design. Same with filtering on “Permit”.

A normal person would expect that selecting “Sites under Construction” would only list… sites that are actually under construction. And once that site is open, it would no longer listed as Under Construction, but instead only be listed as Open. Radical, I know.

It also does not tell you who the network operator is for each site. Maybe I’m doing it wrong 🤷‍♂️

The data quality and design there looks… poor. Filter on Australia and Sites under Construction and it provides a list of 59 sites most of which are in actually in service. Now maybe this just shows the date those sites first started construction as some kind of historical record, but if so that’s really confusing and terrible database design. Same with filtering on “Permit”.

A normal person would expect that selecting “Sites under Construction” would only list… sites that are actually under construction. And once that site is open, it would no longer listed as Under Construction, but instead only be listed as Open. Radical, I know.

It also does not tell you who the network operator is for each site. Maybe I’m doing it wrong 🤷‍♂️
What are you looking at? “Map” shows exactly that, sites presently under construction. “Changes” show recent changes, which tells you when sites are added or change status.

Are you looking for the “data” tab if you just want a table of all sites?

What would you expect to see for “network operator”? This is only Tesla sites.

New build at the Quality Hotel 188 Fernleigh Rd, Wagga Wagga NSW 2650
IMG_6141.jpeg