Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Evening Everyone!

So when I open the app and select summon I am able to remotely move the car forward or backward. But...that is not helpful. I need it to be able to turn and drive haha. Is this a MCU1 issue? An AP1 issue? A glitch (I have reset MCU)? How do I get it to back out and come to me. The in car screen does say I have Summon. I have an August 2016 Model S P100D.

AP1 cannot do Smart Summon, but really Smart Summon doesn't work well on any HW. It's not really something to fret about. There are tons of post of people's cars wrecking while testing it. Elon even said it's a "fun trick"...it's hasn't really been developed to be useful, yet.
Ahhh thank you! It is weird to have the option and it pop up but only give ne forward and backward as an option haha. I appreciate the response!

FWIW, with a HW 3.0-equipped 2018 M3 LR RWD, I tried out the Summon in an empty parking lot three or so years ago when it was first available. Parked it at what seemed to be the limit at the time, some 150 yards away, and hit the "come to me" button. Backed out, lined up in the right direction, and parked in front of me, negotiating a few turns in the process.

The SO and I watched this performance. It took quite a while. I mean, not that the car wasn't moving, but, compared to Just Walking Out There and Getting Into The Car, somewhat slower than walking over.

We discussed our favorite use case: Four hot, sweaty people, two of whom where small children, sitting under inadequate shelter at the turnstiles at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg while the skies opened up with thunder, lightning, and torrential rain. The car was out there, some 300 yards away. I got to be the lucky one to go out and get the thing and got thoroughly soaked. The 50 yards from the shelters to the curb was just far enough to soak everybody else, just not quite as dripping.

The restaurant we went to to get something hot to eat had the air conditioning on high. To this day, I have no idea why we all didn't catch pneumonia.

Problems with the use case: 300 yards is too far for Summon. And we all would have gotten wet anyway.

Next use case: Heavy rain at a Supermarket. Given all the pedestrian traffic... Are you feeling lucky, punk?

When FSD-b moves out of Beta status, well, then maybe.

Reactions: MdlSP100D'16
FWIW, with a HW 3.0-equipped 2018 M3 LR RWD, I tried out the Summon in an empty parking lot three or so years ago when it was first available. Parked it at what seemed to be the limit at the time, some 150 yards away, and hit the "come to me" button. Backed out, lined up in the right direction, and parked in front of me, negotiating a few turns in the process.

The SO and I watched this performance. It took quite a while. I mean, not that the car wasn't moving, but, compared to Just Walking Out There and Getting Into The Car, somewhat slower than walking over.

We discussed our favorite use case: Four hot, sweaty people, two of whom where small children, sitting under inadequate shelter at the turnstiles at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg while the skies opened up with thunder, lightning, and torrential rain. The car was out there, some 300 yards away. I got to be the lucky one to go out and get the thing and got thoroughly soaked. The 50 yards from the shelters to the curb was just far enough to soak everybody else, just not quite as dripping.

The restaurant we went to to get something hot to eat had the air conditioning on high. To this day, I have no idea why we all didn't catch pneumonia.

Problems with the use case: 300 yards is too far for Summon. And we all would have gotten wet anyway.

Next use case: Heavy rain at a Supermarket. Given all the pedestrian traffic... Are you feeling lucky, punk?

When FSD-b moves out of Beta status, well, then maybe.
I envision basically that scenario as EXACTLY the benefit of it. Eating at a restaurant or something, torrential storm rolls in, and I can have it come to me at the front of the restaurant. Unfortunately, I am AP1. I suppose I'll never have that with mine haha. It is too bad! I doubt I'll ever trade mine in though haha.

I envision basically that scenario as EXACTLY the benefit of it. Eating at a restaurant or something, torrential storm rolls in, and I can have it come to me at the front of the restaurant. Unfortunately, I am AP1. I suppose I'll never have that with mine haha. It is too bad! I doubt I'll ever trade mine in though haha.
Yeah, and, as mentioned previously, there's Issues with the car running into things. Tesla says pointedly that one should one's eyeballs on the car when it's doing this and be prepared to stop it when it does something stupid. The problem with the Rain and Restaurant scenario is that means that the car has to be visible from the restaurant's front door. In a mall or something, maybe. A lot of the places we frequent may have some parking across from the door, but a lot of the time it's on the side, out back, or (at one memorable place) out the side of the restaurant, uphill a bit, up some stairs, and into the Upper Parking Lot, some 15' above the eatery. Getting to the eatery from that parking lot means going 75 yards sideways, down a relatively steep ramp, around the restaurant, and to the door. Yah. Not going to happen with Summon as currently engineered.

FSD, non-Beta, maybe.

I found an empty parking lot and tried out this "party trick". Summoned the car to me from 100 feet away and it just kept backing up into an parking lot intersection. Of course, a pickup truck came into the lot at that point. The truck was nice enough to flash it's brights at the car to allow it to keep moving, but it just kept reversing. I had to stop it and do the walk of shame to the driver's seat. Truck driver looked thoroughly confused. I gave him an apologetic wave and went on my way, promising never to do that again.

Ahhh thank you! It is weird to have the option and it pop up but only give ne forward and backward as an option haha. I appreciate the response!
You can actually turn the AP1 summon IF you are standing by the car (preferably next to the front tire) during summon and frequently disturb that side front US sensor. The car will turn away from that “appeared object” but it’s not like turning on a street. I used this to get that corner clear from my gate in tight situation when summon first wanted to go straight. Bit I don’t know how long does it allows to do so?

I use the AP1 Summon/autopark daily to get in and out of my garage. When I had the original MCU in my 2015 S the app integration didn't work, but the stalk and fob methods always did. Upgrading to MCU2 meant getting out of the garage in the morning via the app was a lot easier- I just wish they'd make a Summon step available for the scheduled departure routine. I don't really need to use it to get in and out of my space, it's just easier and more accurate to use autopark.

I'll also use a three-foot Summon via the fob when I egregiously screw up a simple parking job and there's nobody around to see me correct it.