Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suitable rear camera for 2016.5 Model S 1061269-00-D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My rear camera stopped working a few weeks ago. It was working when it was raining out, but stopped later in the day. Now its either black or says Camera Unavailable.

Tesla quoted over $500 for the 1061269-00-D rear camera part. I figured I could find it online for less, but it seems like this D part number is difficult to come by as is the C model. However, Plenty of E/F models for <$200. So I guess the question is are any of the other ones just as good? I've been looking at them on aliexpress so any advice or tips would be helpful.

My rear camera stopped working a few weeks ago. It was working when it was raining out, but stopped later in the day. Now its either black or says Camera Unavailable.

Tesla quoted over $500 for the 1061269-00-D rear camera part. I figured I could find it online for less, but it seems like this D part number is difficult to come by as is the C model. However, Plenty of E/F models for <$200. So I guess the question is are any of the other ones just as good? I've been looking at them on aliexpress so any advice or tips would be helpful.
Were you able to resolve this? I am also having rear camera problems on my 2014 - blank/black camera image, sometimes with "Camera unavailable", sometimes not. Other than that, MCU and everything else is OK.

@Ching38 My recommendation is not to at this point. It’s really not that much better. And is possibly problematic with mcu1
I will be doing the MCU2 upgrade this weekend if that makes any difference. I thought from a few YouTube videos, the newer camera is higher resolution and seems to show much more details. Is the 1061269-00-D better than the 1006773-00-F? Thank you for your recommendation.

I will be doing the MCU2 upgrade this weekend if that makes any difference. I thought from a few YouTube videos, the newer camera is higher resolution and seems to show much more details. Is the 1061269-00-D better than the 1006773-00-F? Thank you for your recommendation.
Ya the one that came with my car was the HD one, which is supposed to be higher quality. I didn't notice much of a difference to be honest...

Let me/us know how the MCU2 upgrade goes. Ultimately I don't think you have the camera issue many of us have had right?

Sure, any tips/advice would be helpful, thanks! That F part is pretty cheap. <$50. I'll order one from. @wk057 as soon as they confirm it will work with my 2014 P85+.
I finally got around to fixing the camera this weekend. I used the original 1006773-00-F. I think the 1061269-00-D part is the higher resolution camera used on newer cars.

This video has lots of helpful info, but I was able to do it without removing any interior bits except for the pull down handle to the left of the latch:

I don't have small hands, but I was easily able to get one hand in to disconnect the camera through the hole after removing the handle.

I needed a T-20 screwdriver and a couple of plastic spudger/prybar tools from iFixit, along with a headlamp. I used the blue "iFixit opening tool" and black spudger listed here: Prying and Opening Tools | iFixit

Steps -
  • Pop out the left grab handle with a plastic spudger/prybar. You may be able to just reach in and yank it out.
  • Remove the chrome applique by sawing through the tape with dental floss starting at either end, then gently pull off (no heat needed). The applique has tape at either end between it and the taillight assembly.
  • Remove 3 T-20 screws holding black plastic "bar" to car and 2 T-20's holding the camera to the bar.
  • Remove the bar by gentliy pulling each end away from the car to peel away/break the tape (again, no heat needed). It was hard to get dental floss under the end, so I didn't bother. There are three pieces of foam tape (each end and center). The foam tape goes over 2 tape discs that cover holes in the body. Make sure to re-apply the tape discs if they come off with the foam tape.
  • Note/take a picture of the camera wire routing in the bar, then remove it from the bar.
  • I was able to insert the pointed end of the black plastic spudger into one of the key slots in the body (exposed when removing the black bar) and into the camera connector to release the catch.
  • Pull out the old camera.
  • Thread the camera wire through the hole, connect the camera, and pull the grommet through from the back while working it in with a spudger.
  • Test the camera, install the camera in the black bar, route the cable, and reinstall the bar and chrome trim. Peel off as much of the old tape as possible and use new tape.
I used this 3M tape from the local big-box home improvement store: https://www.scotchbrand.com/3M/en_U.../catalog/?N=4335+3289430068+3294529207&rt=rud

Pictures:

I only removed this grab handle - I could get one hand in to reach the connector.
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 12.34.57 PM.png

Closeup of connector. The upper half goes to the camera, lower half (with the latch) attached to car harness:
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 12.36.04 PM.png

I inserted the pointed end of the black plastic spudger into the this slot, then into the camera end of the connector to release the catch and separate the two halves. Note the foam tape came off the bar and stuck to the car. When peeling it off, leave/reinstall the adhesive disk that covers a hole in the body:
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 12.36.34 PM.png

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Finally got round to doing mine (2017 S 100D, UK). The lens actually disintegrated on taking the camera off.

1061269-00-C to 1006773-00-F

I couldn't get the connector free using the hand hold, so had to partially take off the window surround to get a second hand in. Wasn't too bad as only removed the top three bits and a couple of screws and left the bottom bit (With speakers) partially attached.

New one is MUCH better quality of image, but a little more fish eye.

Did a camera calibration in the service menu after which completed before the end of my 20min drive home. Only been a weekend of short drives, but no issue.

Can you describe what calibration you did used in the service menu? Is yours MCU2?

MCU1 and it's in the service menu. NO idea really what it did and seems AP/Cruise (I have EAP) related rathe than rear camera as I don't think it altered the image.
Just the service manual mentioned it, though on second reading it does mention toolbox tool, and I didn't do that!

I do actually have a toolbox cable though at £33 an hour it's not a cheap box tick

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
Were you able to resolve this? I am also having rear camera problems on my 2014 - blank/black camera image, sometimes with "Camera unavailable", sometimes not. Other than that, MCU and everything else is OK.
I have the same problem on my 2014 Model S. After a software update, a black reverse camera came up. No other issues. I factory rebooted the car, manually reset it, and tested another camera. During the test of the other camera, once I unplugged the old camera, it showed on the screen, "Camera unavailable". I plug the new camera On and this message disappears but the screen is still black. No video at all. I searched with the Vin number online for a recall. No recall has been pending on this car. Does anyone have other ideas to test on this issue? I have no warranty at all on this car.

I have the same problem on my 2014 Model S. After a software update, a black reverse camera came up. No other issues. I factory rebooted the car, manually reset it, and tested another camera. During the test of the other camera, once I unplugged the old camera, it showed on the screen, "Camera unavailable". I plug the new camera On and this message disappears but the screen is still black. No video at all. I searched with the Vin number online for a recall. No recall has been pending on this car. Does anyone have other ideas to test on this issue? I have no warranty at all on this car.
My problem was intermittent - occasionally the camera would work. Otherwise I had a black screen, sometimes with the "Camera unavailable" message, sometimes not.

I was told that sometimes you need to reset/reboot the MCU for it to recognize the new camera. You might want to try that. Also, that sometimes the wires to the camera break. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.