Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup 12 miles, its a bit far off from normal battery degrade over the time.
I'm gonna try to drive the car down to 10% then home charge to 100% for 3 times to see if any increasing as the tech support told.
For the fan running, I just realize after going home from work and tried to power off the car for atleast 3 minutes while i'm on phone with the tech, i dont know what he did, but the noise/fan running is gone(for now). I will keep it update. The car seem not loosing mile after call tech support.
I was told this too. Didn't change anything.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Do we know that the 3 issue is the same thing? I know our S hasn't been affected yet, but my 3 dropped from 324 at 100% down to 308 at 100% after one of the V10 releases. I am disappointed, but haven't really looked into it since when I bought the car it was sold to me as a 310 mile range car (I have a 2017 First Production version LR RWD). Figure I wouldn't have much of an argument to make with Tesla because of that.
Someone posted above Bjorn showing his P3D was capped under 4.2v @ 100% so it sounds like Model 3 is getting the same thing.

It's not that settled. I am not impacted by batterygate; my range at 100% has held at 254 miles for at least 20k miles/14 months. My resting voltage @ 100% is 4.17-4.19, not 4.2V

It's settled and you just confirmed it yourself. Tesla manages volts to more than the hundredths place, you may only see 4.19v but you're fully charging to 4.199 or whatever your BMS determines is safe in an uncapped state. That's the best you'll ever get - 4.2000000 volts is unrealistic to expect and 4.21v is not safe so you'll always be a few thousandths off, as were the EPA tested configurations making it perfectly legal, this is the BMS' job and yours is working as intended. Bjorns and everyone else that is affected here is not - or the intent has been manipulated to illegally take what we own without compensation or permission. The fact that you diverge from .1 - .2v from confirmed values is confirmation of capping 100% below. I was going to ask if everyone shares the same sub-4.v on the Model 3 because Tesla voluntarily requested a range reduction from the EPA. That voluntary range reduction also means Tesla can voluntarily cap volts to a slight amount to limit range to the derating that they requested. This is what Porsche and Audi have done selling cars limiting range below the pack's fully charged value, and what Tesla has done on the 3SR, 60D, S40, and any other factory-capped batteries they sold.

Thanks, now we know that the issue is voltage capping with confirmation that it is not universal. It's sounding like the Model 3 suffers the same randomly applied and unpredictable underlying defect our older cars have been drastically downgraded tin spite of what some experts have gone on the record as saying need to be replaced.
There are more questions regarding Model 3 however. We don't yet know what value below 4.2v becomes illegal for Tesla to cap. Unlike our 85 capacity cars that can't be capped below 4.2v, Model 3 can - a small amount.

Last edited:
Since the updates it doesn't seem to charge to 100% anymore, stops somewhere between 97% (SuC) and 99% (UMC).

"Typical range" is now around 365 kms and seems to be falling further. When I bought the car in April I clearly remember getting >375 kms consistently (usually extrapolated from 90% or 80%, but also took it to 100% a couple times for trips).

I have the impression I even saw it exceeding 380 kms but I'm not totally sure anymore. In any case the 375 kms was consistent.

Of course I realise a drop of 10 to 20 kms pales in comparison with what others are seeing and could be "just" degradation. But that'd be quite substantial in 6 (summer) months and 10k kms wouldn't it?
Your typical range does seem low.
For the 90s you should be seeing something over 400 kms.
When did you purchase the car?
Maybe it was already capped.

Last edited:
You're missing the part that he has a 70D which is 240 miles brand new. The claim is after an update, they lost 12 miles. So you're telling me that in ~4 yrs time, only 2 miles have degraded on that battery? The more likely scenario is the person got the car new with 238 miles when charging to 100% and now just notices it with this thread that people are losing miles fast.

How do I know? I have a 70D. My first charge at 90% was 215 miles which equates around 239 miles 100%. Degradation before this whole fiasco I was at 206 miles 90% so I've lost 9 miles degradation during that time. So the 12 miles is well within natural degradation. Sure a person can lose 12 miles after an update but that does not appear to be the likely scenario here.

edit: So I just checked my TeslaFi history and at ~37k miles, like the user claims in another post which is their current odometer, my 90% was at 210 miles which is ~6 miles degradation.
My S 70D a month or 2 month before the update battery fully charge is 238 miles, but after the update lately fully charge showing 226 miles. My S is 37k miles now.
I dont really know whats going on with the software.

• Informative
I haven't taken that route in a while but once you get passed Livermore, there's a significant portion where you're coasting downhill.

Sure, but how does that make the entire trip more efficient. In fact, it's just the opposite. You say "coast" but cossting down the backside of the Altamont Pass has a significant amount of regen braking. The entire trip from point A to point B would have been more efficient if I didn't have to go up a hill and then regen on the way down since regen only recaptures some of the energy and not all of it.

Reactions: Droschke and DJRas
I think this is the “new” normal behavior. If you charge to high SOC and don’t drive immediately, the coolant pumps and A/C run to protect the battery from being “stored” at a high SOC. Once you are down under 90% they should shut off.

I think you're right with respect to this being the new normal, at least for folks with the 85kW pack during and after Supercharging. I have never Supercharged belong 85% and my last two Supercharging sessions (Manhattan Beach and DT San Diego) experienced a much quicker taper than before 2019.16.x.x. I drove over 60 miles in 70F temps for both trips and arrived with ~50 range miles remaining. Both times happened to be Urban 72kW SuC and it took about 50 minutes to add 150 range miles in Manhattan Beach, but took 42 minutes to add 100 miles in San Diego. Both times the radiator fans started at around 30 minutes into charging and remained on for a good 10-15 minutes of moderate driving.

It seems to me that Tesla has changed the BMS and cooling system to not only lower the rate of Supercharging, lower the max voltage capacity, but has remapped the cooling system to deal with temperature. I miss the good ole days when I was able to go from 8% SOC to 80% in 40 minutes.

It's settled, thanks for the link! 4.2V is actual 100%, so we know his battery is capped under the actual 100%. His missing range is in the volts he is no longer allowed to use. It's a mild cap which is why he didn't lose 15% at once but it's still a cap.

If you watch the video expect you will find that number is the vMin. And of course the lowest brick isn't going to be at 4.2v, that would be the vMax brick.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: VT_EE and Droschke
Someone posted above Bjorn showing his P3D was capped under 4.2v @ 100% so it sounds like Model 3 is getting the same thing.

I am behind the curve on this thread, but now that I have a car that might be affected, I am willing to contribute if I am able. How hard is it to measure the v on the 3? My understanding is it is a different procedure from the S, does anyone have a step by step and what equipment I might need?

After 2019.32.12.8 (V10.0), in last 24 hours, and after multiple reboots, my browser is still blank. It does not even try to load anything.
Interestingly my browser seams to be working better. Not really good but it actually loads and reloads within 30 seconds. Update notes load too but they are just the generic v10 notes. 2014 S85 RWD no autopilot 86k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and DJRas
Sure, but how does that make the entire trip more efficient. In fact, it's just the opposite. You say "coast" but cossting down the backside of the Altamont Pass has a significant amount of regen braking. The entire trip from point A to point B would have been more efficient if I didn't have to go up a hill and then regen on the way down since regen only recaptures some of the energy and not all of it.
But you've already gone up the steep hill and charged I presume from Livermore so that's a whole new trip so you get the benefit of coasting down the hill on that trip. Anyway, when I was being routine trips out to the Bay Area, I always noticed the efficiency was much better going that direction. Don't know if it's a combination of tail wind and and hill but it was certainly more efficient going that route than I-80 when heading to Bay Area.

I am behind the curve on this thread, but now that I have a car that might be affected, I am willing to contribute if I am able. How hard is it to measure the v on the 3? My understanding is it is a different procedure from the S, does anyone have a step by step and what equipment I might need?

Bjorn recently did a video on his solution. (You need an adapter cable, BLE dongle, Android device, and ScanMyTesla.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Az_Rael
I believe the 70 is rated at 230 not 240 so are you sure that isn't a 70D and are you talking about ideal range or rated range? I do remember people getting over 240 range new.
No, I have the huge frunk. It's rated range - I just saw that setting when I was looking at the new V10 settings screen. My battery model printed on the sticker is for a 70. I've run it down to 8% and to 100% over the years - same numbers. The lowest 100% has ever been in 240. I got distracted at the Casey Jones Museum at the Jackson, TN and came out to 245 miles and a trickle charge. At no time have I ever had a sudden drop in range or anything else that indicates the numbers aren't real. I'm hoping I don't get a shock some day.
I'm going over all that because I do understand that it doesn't look right. Sort of hoping somebody could chime in and explain it.
Anyway... at least a couple of us 70 people are seeing that pattern. It exists.

I have a cable for a 2018 M3 and can read your car.
Your location says Palmdale. Where else do you go?

No, I have the huge frunk. It's rated range - I just saw that setting when I was looking at the new V10 settings screen. My battery model printed on the sticker is for a 70. I've run it down to 8% and to 100% over the years - same numbers. The lowest 100% has ever been in 240. I got distracted at the Casey Jones Museum at the Jackson, TN and came out to 245 miles and a trickle charge. At no time have I ever had a sudden drop in range or anything else that indicates the numbers aren't real. I'm hoping I don't get a shock some day.
I'm going over all that because I do understand that it doesn't look right. Sort of hoping somebody could chime in and explain it.
Anyway... at least a couple of us 70 people are seeing that pattern. It exists.
I don't know how you have 240 miles from a 70 as that was rated 230. At the time, Tesla was using their dual motor marketing to say it is more efficient with dual motors even though they have reversed course now. You can also verify by the badging on the trunk and also displays in your car. There was a brief time where they had 75 batteries and software locked it 70. The 70 batteries have always been affected in this thread, articles written just continue to say it's only 85 batteries.

I don't know how you have 240 miles from a 70 as that was rated 230. At the time, Tesla was using their dual motor marketing to say it is more efficient with dual motors even though they have reversed course now. You can also verify by the badging on the trunk and also displays in your car. There was a brief time where they had 75 batteries and software locked it 70. The 70 batteries have always been affected in this thread, articles written just continue to say it's only 85 batteries.
I know. It's always been higher than spec. o_O