Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7000th post on this topic!!!

Notwithstanding the current battery capping issue which I hope will get resolved to all owners satisfaction, I would really like to see Tesla communicating a battery refurb/upgrade service programme for existing customers.

If I knew I could replace my battery in the future at a reasonable cost I’d have a lot more confidence in my car/battery.

Same for the v1 MCU... offer me an upgrade to a faster version instead of paying $3.5k for a replacement with the same eMMC point of failure.

Come on Tesla, get your sh*t together!

Notwithstanding the current battery capping issue which I hope will get resolved to all owners satisfaction, I would really like to see Tesla communicating a battery refurb/upgrade service programme for existing customers.

If I knew I could replace my battery in the future at a reasonable cost I’d have a lot more confidence in my car/battery.

Same for the v1 MCU... offer me an upgrade to a faster version instead of paying $3.5k for a replacement with the same eMMC point of failure.

I totally agree!!
I gave Tesla some time to do the right thing or at least tell us something and they didn't. I reported my supercharging issue to NHTSA last night.

So I haven't seen that noted elsewhere (maybe (I missed it), when I charge my P85D over 90% (supercharger or not, doesn't matter) the coolant pump runs for hours (yes hours!) with the car otherwise sitting idle. It is a problem because it knocks off available kms just sitting there. I only charge over 90% before a long trip and now I can't delay between charging and driving or I just lose the kms again. Have raised with Tesla, they say car is behaving "normally".
I think this is the “new” normal behavior. If you charge to high SOC and don’t drive immediately, the coolant pumps and A/C run to protect the battery from being “stored” at a high SOC. Once you are down under 90% they should shut off.

Yes.
Fallen victim to both battery- and chargegate plus stuck on V9 (2019.32.2.1). In-car message states that firmware for the vehicle is up-to-date.
Installed (V10) 2019.32.12.8 today. Isn't great that my blank release note doesn't tell me what I've gotten? Rebooting, off/on the car doesn't bring the release notes to life either.

They need to email the release notes.
Same version without release notes, here.
2019.32.12.8 (e831d0e) installed last night.
No obvious changes in supercharging speed or battery capacity.
Switched to Joe Mode, that’s all.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
Interestingly TeslaBjorn just added a vid that shows 4.17/4.18 volts at 100%. Not sure if that is a settled post 100% value or even if that makes a difference.

It's settled, thanks for the link! 4.2V is actual 100%, so we know his battery is capped under the actual 100%. His missing range is in the volts he is no longer allowed to use. It's a mild cap which is why he didn't lose 15% at once but it's still a cap.

Thanks @DJRas. But honestly I'm in fact really looking for a YES/NO reply ;-)

Do you think the figures I posted for energy consumed while driving (1 trip, during the day with mild temperatures, no HVAC) are more likely to come from a capped 85 pack, or not capped? Or too inconclusive?

I should add that I have the feeling that I've lost range and power as well but not having the diagnostics cable I cannot be sure.

Thanks!
From the information you shared I would guess that you are not affected. What is your range at 100%?

I too got V10 (2019.32.12.8)
Initially got a garbled screen.
Then reloaded release notes with all available. 20191029_061207.jpg

Attachments

• 20191029_075324.jpg
    20191029_075324.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20191029_075318.jpg
    20191029_075318.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20191029_075309.jpg
    20191029_075309.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 78
From the information you shared I would guess that you are not affected. What is your range at 100%?

Since the updates it doesn't seem to charge to 100% anymore, stops somewhere between 97% (SuC) and 99% (UMC).

"Typical range" is now around 365 kms and seems to be falling further. When I bought the car in April I clearly remember getting >375 kms consistently (usually extrapolated from 90% or 80%, but also took it to 100% a couple times for trips).

I have the impression I even saw it exceeding 380 kms but I'm not totally sure anymore. In any case the 375 kms was consistent.

Of course I realise a drop of 10 to 20 kms pales in comparison with what others are seeing and could be "just" degradation. But that'd be quite substantial in 6 (summer) months and 10k kms wouldn't it?

So you're telling me that in ~4 yrs time, only 2 miles have degraded on that battery? The more likely scenario is the person got the car new with 238 miles when charging to 100% and now just notices it with this thread that people are losing miles fast.
All I know is what I see on my car's display, but yes, I'm showing virtually no degradation on a 2015 S70 that just rolled over 30,000 mile this weekend. My 90% is between 216 and 218 steady since day one. I keep a close eye on it, too.
I recently went from V8 to V10, and it is still holding pretty much the same numbers even after a few supercharging sessions. I did lose about 20% supercharging speed, though.

It's settled, thanks for the link! 4.2V is actual 100%, so we know his battery is capped under the actual 100%. His missing range is in the volts he is no longer allowed to use. It's a mild cap which is why he didn't lose 15% at once but it's still a cap.
It's not that settled. I am not impacted by batterygate; my range at 100% has held at 254 miles for at least 20k miles/14 months. My resting voltage @ 100% is 4.17-4.19, not 4.2V

I am not impacted by "batterygate" (100%=4.17-4.19V resting), but my Supercharging speeds have dropped 10-15kW throughout the curve.

I too got V10 (2019.32.12.8)
Initially got a garbled screen.
Then reloaded release notes with all available. View attachment 471097
Those are the same release notes I got with 32.12.3.

I'm new to all this battery gate/ charge gate talk. After reading through the last few pages of this thread I emailed Tesla customer support asking if I should recalibrate since my recent charge to 100% only gave me 266 mi. My normal 90% was 277 when I got the car six months ago (not shabby when 100% norm was 294 for this model, I even thought for a while that my battery has been swapped out for a 100 before I bought the car, but that's another story). I don't ever expect an answer when I email them but I often get one days later.
5/16 MS 90D

Last edited:
Sorry guys if this is answered somewhere in this long thread but I didn't go through the whole conversation...

I have Mid Range Model 3 which I bought in Dec 2018. Everything was great for the range (265) for about until April-May 2019 and then range suddenly dropped to just 250. In the beginning I used to charge 80% and it used to show 212 miles and after range drop, it only shows close to 200 or even lower (195+). Today the first time I charged to 100% due to power outage risk in Nor Cal, I only got 249. Stated range for Mid-Range is 265 so I am losing 15 miles and I only have under 5K miles on this car. Is this something other people have seen and taken to Tesla? Are they helping with this or just saying this is software related? I mean my car is now basically Standard Plus (240 miles range) and I am not happy with this range drop.

Sorry for your loss but I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE that this is now happening to 3's as well. Tesla will have an entire $hit$torm on their hands if they cap every car anyone has bought!!!!!

Sorry for your loss but I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE that this is now happening to 3's as well. Tesla will have an entire $hit$torm on their hands if they cap every car anyone has bought!!!!!

Do we know that the 3 issue is the same thing? I know our S hasn't been affected yet, but my 3 dropped from 324 at 100% down to 308 at 100% after one of the V10 releases. I am disappointed, but haven't really looked into it since when I bought the car it was sold to me as a 310 mile range car (I have a 2017 First Production version LR RWD). Figure I wouldn't have much of an argument to make with Tesla because of that.

• Informative

I think the replacement is now $2000-2200 last I heard. Ironically, my MCU1 died today 6wks after Tesla reflashed my working MCU because it wouldn't communicate with my car for over a month.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
All I know is what I see on my car's display, but yes, I'm showing virtually no degradation on a 2015 S70 that just rolled over 30,000 mile this weekend. My 90% is between 216 and 218 steady since day one. I keep a close eye on it, too.
I recently went from V8 to V10, and it is still holding pretty much the same numbers even after a few supercharging sessions. I did lose about 20% supercharging speed, though.
I believe the 70 is rated at 230 not 240 so are you sure that isn't a 70D and are you talking about ideal range or rated range? I do remember people getting over 240 range new.

Reactions: Nick70d