Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stripped down P over fully-loaded AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got a fully-loaded AWD with upgraded tires, EAP, and FSD with delivery date Sept-Nov.

That comes out to $63,500.

I am debating about changing my order to AWD P, white interior, without the performance package and just EAP without FSD. That comes out to $71,500.

With that, I may be able to get delivery in August. And with it, a possibility I'll get the full tax credit and not half with the AWD. But I know none of us are really sure about when the 200k mark was passed just yet.

Are any of you guys thinking of these two options?

I'm so annoyed that the AWP P only offers the nasty aeros and the $5k performance package with 20" wheels. I wish they offered just the 19"s. But I'm thinking I can get a new set $2-3k and either use the Aeros for long trips or just sell them.

I wish they offered just the 19"s. But I'm thinking I can get a new set $2-3k and either use the Aeros for long trips or just sell them.

Probably not as many as the 18" but there will probably be plenty of Tesla 19" rims and/or full wheels coming on the market as people decide to upgrade to aftermarket (including Tesla's 20").

TESLA MODEL 3 OEM Silver Turbine 19" Rims Wheels SET of 4 | eBay

Then there is a huge number of aftermarket choices with a wide range of prices.

I'm so annoyed that the AWP P only offers the nasty aeros and the $5k performance package with 20" wheels. I wish they offered just the 19"s.

Yeah. It's what pushed me to the 20" wheel package, even though I don't need upgraded brakes. Hope that doesn't lock me into 20" wheels for the life of the vehicle (like if 19's can't fit over the bigger brakes). I wish I could flip a switch in my brain and just enjoy the look of the aeros, but that hasn't happened yet.

So I got a fully-loaded AWD with upgraded tires, EAP, and FSD with delivery date Sept-Nov.

That comes out to $63,500.

I am debating about changing my order to AWD P, white interior, without the performance package and just EAP without FSD. That comes out to $71,500.

With that, I may be able to get delivery in August. And with it, a possibility I'll get the full tax credit and not half with the AWD. But I know none of us are really sure about when the 200k mark was passed just yet.

Are any of you guys thinking of these two options?

I'm so annoyed that the AWP P only offers the nasty aeros and the $5k performance package with 20" wheels. I wish they offered just the 19"s. But I'm thinking I can get a new set $2-3k and either use the Aeros for long trips or just sell them.
For what it's worth, I am skipping FSD (but I would never skip EAP), as I don't see the "full" part of FSD being legalized in all states for many more years. So, I'll keep that money and invest it/use it instead of loaning it to Tesla at 0% for an unknown length of time.

Personally 4.5 is plenty fast already (current car does 5.5) , so I am going with fully loaded AWD.

It is fast enough. I've been driving a Nissan Leaf for the last 4 years.

But I REALLY want the white seats.

And I don't see those deliveries happening for the rear wheel nor AWD until next year. =(

Yes. I could get the Tsportsline white seats for about $2k extra. But I thought, why not just use that money to put towards the P?

Have you looked at the Aeros with aero covers removed?

We’ve had our LR for seven months and have appreciated the versatility of being able to throw on the covers for max range on road trips.

Yeah- the aeros without the covers and with the little kit from Tesla looks better than the 19s or 20s IMHO

Personally even if I didn't like the aeros at all I still wouldn't drop $1500 on the 19s since they still come with crap all seasons on em- I'd take the "free" 18s, sell em, and put the $ from that plus the saved $1500 toward a set of wheels in whatever size I preferred that I genuinely liked the look of, plus a set of 4S summer tires.

As to the OPs main question... are you planning to track the car?

If not, and Tesla didn't hit 200k in June (and I don't think they did) then you're gaining basically nothing from the P other than:

Option for white interior earlier than other configs
1 second quicker 0-60

is that worth $11,000 to you?

Personally? I didn't think it was. I don't like the white interior anyway- and I've had cars that ran 0-60 in the 3s and in the 4s...outside of a track you can usually count on one hand the # of times that difference matters at all in a given year (the rare stoplight race against a car actually quicker than the 4s), so that sure didn't seem worth 11k.

If the P had offered a significantly more advanced suspension and performance tires on the aeros for that 11k I'd have been a lot more inclined to spend it- but there's no solid indication of either coming with the car.

Reactions: davidc18
Personally 4.5 is plenty fast already (current car does 5.5) , so I am going with fully loaded AWD.

This is what made the decision for me. "Does the car I drive really need the acceleration level of a legit cafe racer motorcycle?" 4.5sec and a 13sec 1/4 mile (the LR-D will almost certainly do the quarter under that since the LR is sub-14sec) is the range of [not quite legit] Kawasaki Ninja 500. The Performance will be more in line with something like a Kawasaki Ninja 650, and not much short of ZX-6R and such.

In my mind the acceleration is better listed as "0-trouble right ***ing now", but of course what you're looking for matters.

I was in a similar position.

AWD @ $59k vs PAWD at $71.5. I was also debating a S75D @ $92ish.

I decided on the 3 vs S because interior space is similar, cash is less, tech is newer, and the 3 will just be my commuter car. Different car for road trips so I couldn't justify the cost of the S for the storage space. Also I'm in an S now and ready for a change into something smaller and different. I hope I don't regret the ride of the 3 - the S is a pretty nice cruiser but you also definitely feel the weight in the curves.

I also am largely getting the P for the earlier delivery and the white interior, but am coming from a P90DL, so didn't want the car to "feel" too much slower :).

I initially had FSD, but decided that seemed sort of like a waste of money at the present time. I don't need the car to drive me around the neighborhood. If it turns out they get level 3 reliability on the interstate with FSD but not EAP, I might bite the bullet later and upgrade. But for now I don't see the point.

I think the performance package in the P options is a complete waste for 99% of people. There is a small group that tracks their car, but even if I was in that group, I would save the money for aftermarket brakes, wheels etc that are sure to come. The spoiler and aluminum pedals are insulting at that price.

Reactions: wallet.dat
It is fast enough. I've been driving a Nissan Leaf for the last 4 years.

But I REALLY want the white seats.

And I don't see those deliveries happening for the rear wheel nor AWD until next year. =(

Yes. I could get the Tsportsline white seats for about $2k extra. But I thought, why not just use that money to put towards the P?
Ya, I would love the white seat too but I want to get the full tax credit and rather use that 12.5K (P+White) to get a base SR end of this year or next year for my parent to switch to full EV.

Yeah I've been wrestling with this too. I keep looking at my loaded awd config and thinking "for a little more I could have a base performance" but it's really hard to mentally justify it when all you're getting for your 11k is faster delivery and better quality control on your motors. To me it seems like you're really spending 11k on an awd with a software performance limiter removed, which to me is just frustrating.
If they offered other mechanical differences/improvements it would be easier to justify.
I can see how the performance models are much higher margin for them. Costs them nothing to flip a software switch (that 11k is pure profit) but it makes me feel more like a sucker for paying it.

Reactions: davidc18
If they offered other mechanical differences/improvements it would be easier to justify.
I can see how the performance models are much higher margin for them. Costs them nothing to flip a software switch (that 11k is pure profit) but it makes me feel more like a sucker for paying it.
You're also paying for a bit extra testing up front and the warranty coverage, because uncorking is more wear thus risking damage within that first 120,000mi drive-train/battery warranty window.

I still get what you're talking about, though. Almost certainly a very large amount of margin in there for Tesla.

Last edited:
I'm maybe a little salty about this because despite the rashional side of my brain saying this is a terrible idea, there is a juvenile part of me that wants to pay it anyway and get pressed into the back of my seat when I mash the pedal.

Hahahaha! Yes. Exactly!

Our rational side vs. our emotional side.

I'm trying to find a way to rationalize a way to change my order to a P.

But I know when I rationalize too much, all I get are rational lies!

I think if you switch to AWD P now, your ETA will still be Sept-Nov.

That’s what happened to me.

Oh! So you originally ordered AWD with a Sept-Nov timeframe and at the time, could've gotten a P with an Aug-Oct timeframe? Then you switched your order from AWD to P and that original Aug-Oct was no longer valid and instead, it shows Sept-Nov for you?

In my configuration, when I edit, it doesn't give months, it just says 2-4 months.

Oh! So you originally ordered AWD with a Sept-Nov timeframe and at the time, could've gotten a P with an Aug-Oct timeframe? Then you switched your order from AWD to P and that original Aug-Oct was no longer valid and instead, it shows Sept-Nov for you?

In my configuration, when I edit, it doesn't give months, it just says 2-4 months.

Here is what I did:
Ordered AWD w/ 19" wheels on 6/30. ETA was Sept-Nov. Was seriously considering AWD P which had an ETA of Aug-Oct, but I didn't bite.
Changed to AWD w/ 18" wheels on 7/4. ETA was changed to Oct-Dec. I said oh sh*t what did I do.
Changed to AWD P w/ 18" wheels 10 minutes later. ETA is now Sept-Nov.