Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stranded - new Tesla 10 days old

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you say the fobs weren't working, does that mean you double clicked on the top of the fob to unlock the car as well? I had a problem where the handles wouldn't extend automatically or by touching them but it would unlock by physically pressing the unlock button twice. If this is the same thing that happened to you, then there's a song and dance to do to fix it that involves a reset, another step, another reset, and then another step.

Nothing was working on the fobs. They are working great now though :)

I know you are trying very hard to give this a positive spin, but I'd rather not see things break down on a new and very expensive car. The only silver lining so far is that their service is responsive. Don't have a solution yet, but they are trying and are attentive.

I hate to say this, but you bought a Tesla. Expect to need far more service than any other car you've owned. I hope you knew this up front. Those who have not needed to visit the service center are the exception. Just look around this or any other Tesla forum. Problems galore. The situation is definitely improving, but still far too many problems for comfort.

Consumer Reports almost removed Model S from it's recommended list due to the service survey responses from owners.

It's interesting that a re-boot of the 17" screen wouldn't have reset this "locked up" security module. I've been surprised at just what a re-boot will fix. Once my car wouldn't go in to Park. The door handles would extend, and the indicator said "P", but the car was free rolling. A re-boot fixed that.

I'm guessing it involves pulling some fuse for a few seconds. Of course you have to be able to get into the trunk to do that.

I hate to say this, but you bought a Tesla. Expect to need far more service than any other car you've owned.

There is no doubt they have had their teething problems but that's excessive. We've had our S85 for over a year and its only needed service attention once - to force a software update that didn't complete in our marginal cell coverage area. Waaayyy lower maintenance than the 1976 Fiat Spider I had in college!!!!

There is no doubt they have had their teething problems but that's excessive. We've had our S85 for over a year and its only needed service attention once - to force a software update that didn't complete in our marginal cell coverage area. Waaayyy lower maintenance than the 1976 Fiat Spider I had in college!!!!

My take is:

1. There are probably less physical issues, but they seem exaggerated since we all write/read about them in the community more than others. You don't see a lot of Chevy Avalanche forums where people are so involved for example, hehehe...

2. The car is so software based, it makes sense. I think most of us (being a lot of engineers) know software is always more buggy than hardware - causing many of the issues it seems at times. Do hope this improves because its hard enough telling my parents to reboot everything they own when they call for their "hey whats up, by the way..." tech support calls.

-T

When you say the fobs weren't working, does that mean you double clicked on the top of the fob to unlock the car as well? I had a problem where the handles wouldn't extend automatically or by touching them but it would unlock by physically pressing the unlock button twice. If this is the same thing that happened to you, then there's a song and dance to do to fix it that involves a reset, another step, another reset, and then another step.

Are you aware that the auto-extend feature (and unlock on approach) disables after 24 hours without use? In other words, if you've been away from your car for over 24 hours, you have to double-click the fob roof to unlock doors and extend the handle. This is by design.

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP, I bet that if you had opened up the fuse box and removed the right fuses for about 10 seconds, then replacing them would have reset the security module and got you going. Not that anyone should have expected to think of that, but...now we know to try it, right?

Are you aware that the auto-extend feature (and unlock on approach) disables after 24 hours without use? In other words, if you've been away from your car for over 24 hours, you have to double-click the fob roof to unlock doors and extend the handle. This is by design.

Hmmm, I was out of town for a week ending last weds. Car was in a locked garage and I had the only key. My handles auto-presented when I approached the car on the tursday morning.

Consumer Reports almost removed Model S from it's recommended list due to the service survey responses from owners.

Just like my baseball team almost lost its last game, because we only won by one point. The Model S is definitely not flaw-free, but then no car is, and the Model S is in the average range - so Consumer Reports still recommends them. Many comparable cars (of course nothing is really comparable, but I mean something like a BMW 5-series - try hanging out on a BMW forum) are rated worse, so buying something else may bring you MORE problems. I guess a Prius can be considered comparable in some ways and it is pretty reliable, so I don't want to try to make the Model S sound more reliable than it is. But I think this makes it sound worse than it is.

I hate to say this, but you bought a Tesla. Expect to need far more service than any other car you've owned. I hope you knew this up front. Those who have not needed to visit the service center are the exception. Just look around this or any other Tesla forum. Problems galore. The situation is definitely improving, but still far too many problems for comfort.

My 2 year old Tesla has required much less service than the two Mercedes I previously owned. Reading the forums gives a very skewed view-- people post when they have problems, they don't post to say they don't have any problems. They may not even join forums if they don't have any problems.

My 2 year old Tesla has required much less service than the two Mercedes I previously owned. Reading the forums gives a very skewed view-- people post when they have problems, they don't post to say they don't have any problems. They may not even join forums if they don't have any problems.

Good points.

Except the keyfob issue, the car is working fine for me so far. I know, not enough time yet. I am going to be very forgiving on issues as long as their service is top notch and doesn't cost me. When I got a tesla, I had my expectations in check. Of course it would be best if the issues didn't happen :).

I find that people that say they expect nothing to happen are actually fibbing. If one really believes nothing will go wrong, why buy a warranty.

I think the issue is "how much will happen".
My first car (college) - was extremely unreliable and cheap. And I learnt a lot working on it myself.
Second car - mostly reliable until I got brakes changed, and the guy who did the brakes did a bad job. The car's rotors always made noise after that, and I never bothered fixing it (eventually sold it for cheap).
Third car - no issues in 8 years except oil changes/service/gas and 2 tires.
Fourth - Tesla.

So you see, my fourth car has already had more issues than the third :).

Still, I say - things can happen. Its a complex machinery, and software is even more complex.
I am more than forgiving IF -
- It doesn't cost me (as long as it isn't clearly my fault)
- The service isn't extremely inconvenient and it is prompt.
- And I am given a comparable loaner.

As long those 3 conditions are met, I'm good.
And for all you know, this might be the last issue for the next 8 years .. we shall see :)

I think the issue is "how much will happen".
My first car (college) - was extremely unreliable and cheap. And I learnt a lot working on it myself.
Second car - mostly reliable until I got brakes changed, and the guy who did the brakes did a bad job. The car's rotors always made noise after that, and I never bothered fixing it (eventually sold it for cheap).
Third car - no issues in 8 years except oil changes/service/gas and 2 tires.
Fourth - Tesla.

So you see, my fourth car has already had more issues than the third :).

Still, I say - things can happen. Its a complex machinery, and software is even more complex.
I am more than forgiving IF -
- It doesn't cost me (as long as it isn't clearly my fault)
- The service isn't extremely inconvenient and it is prompt.
- And I am given a comparable loaner.

As long those 3 conditions are met, I'm good.
And for all you know, this might be the last issue for the next 8 years .. we shall see :)

I like that optimism, and I certainly hope it's the last issue for you for the next 8 years! :)

I like that optimism, and I certainly hope it's the last issue for you for the next 8 years! :)

I've been reading the issues everyone else here has been running into. Orange goop from the frunk, leaking roof, etc. etc.
These are all new D models mind you. I've been lucky so far, close to 500mi and no such issues.
In the meanwhile, I went ahead and bought the service plan. So no matter what, I have no car costs (besides tires and insurance) for the next 4 years.
I sorta like that peace of mind :)

Oh also custom license plate, and registration .. :p

sh!t cars are expensive! Still, my calculated 8 year TCO on this car will be apprx 400-500$/month, which is pretty damned good.
As a comparison, if I got myself a Prius C, the TCO would still be around 300ish/month.

In the meanwhile, I went ahead and bought the service plan. So no matter what, I have no car costs (besides tires and insurance) for the next 4 years.
I sorta like that peace of mind :)

Oh also custom license plate, and registration .. :p

sh!t cars are expensive! Still, my calculated 8 year TCO on this car will be apprx 400-500$/month, which is pretty damned good.
As a comparison, if I got myself a Prius C, the TCO would still be around 300ish/month.

Don't forget electricity, unless you are only using Superchargers.

Don't forget electricity, unless you are only using Superchargers.

Yep, but I pay 8c/kwh - so a full tank for me is about 5 bucks.
And I am adding a 5kw solar panel array next month :) (10K cost - what I saved by NOT getting an 85D)

Interestingly, I have single charger, and right now charging at 243v, 40Amps, .. its charging at 31mi/hr.
I thought home charging with single charging maxed out at 28mi/hr.

Interestingly, I have single charger, and right now charging at 243v, 40Amps, .. its charging at 31mi/hr.
I thought home charging with single charging maxed out at 28mi/hr.
You're fortunate to have 243 V at home. Many people find their voltage drops into the high 230's when charging. It's the difference of a fraction of a kW that is giving you 31 miles rather than 29 which is the usual at 240V, or 28 if it's a little less than 240. The charger has a 10 kW limit-- the limit is kW, not miles of range.