Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storage recommendations and battery charging while away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Date on the video was January and he was gone for a month. Guessing that he was running 5.0 to 5.2 firmware vintage 11/13. That was when everyone was complaining about vampire drain the loudest. We have come a long way since then.
The firmware wiki shows sleep restored with v5.0 (I went from 4.5 to 5.6 and got 5.6 in mid Nov). Prior to that I had the S unplugged for 5 days in August '13 while my solar panels were installed and power to the garage was off. Went from 166 miles to "charge now" (30 miles left). I could never have left the car unplugged for an entire month until my Nov update, which brought me sleep for the first time.

Since then I've left the S unplugged for two weeks several times and the vampire loss is minimal, so a month is possible without much sweat (provided your 12V stays healthy). If your 12V is on it's last legs, then all bets are off since a bad 12V can bleed the charge off the main pack fairly rapidly.

Last edited:
Maybe a silly question, leave it at 50% after a 90% charge or bring the battery below 50% and then set to 50%. My guess is that it doesn't really matter but I just wanted clarification if it made any difference of the pre-vacation charge level.

It's better to run it down to 50% and leave it at 50%. You'll be spending more time at a lower SOC, which is easier on the battery.

I would worry. My UMC failed while I was gone and if I had not checked I would have come home to a bricked battery.

How long would you be gone? Tesla has said the car should last a year at 50% charge and that would be covered under warranty. If that scenario was still a major concern just charge to 90% before you leave and keep it plugged in.