Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop the Press! Tesla announces REAL HP numbers for P85D and P90L

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a train wreck. More like a very minor fender bender. That's not to say I don't appreciate the concerns of people who bought based mainly, or solely, on hp numbers. But I highly doubt this issue is having any measurable effect on Tesla's sales, nor will it in the future.

Agreed.

It has, or more accurately, "had" the potential to become a real powder keg issue.

But because some of those who are griping, are the very ones providing the ammunition to dispute their position in the form of presenting prior advertisements, it should peter out.

Indeed, it really already has petered out. Now it's on life support.

How many P90D owners do you see, with or without Ludicrous, in here complaining about not having "762 horsepower"?

How many people in here have you seen saying that they won't be buying a P90D because it doesn't have 762 horsepower?

Their only complaint, if they have one, is based on the actual "performance" of their vehicles, i.e. the 10.9 issue as opposed to any "horsepower numbers".

Imagine that.

They don't seem to care as much about "horsepower" as they do about achieving that 10.9 that they were promised.

This P85D horsepower issue is as dead as a New Years Eve party on January 2nd. There are few revelers left. And of the ones who are left, they all seem to have passed out. The ones who are still "awake", well some of them have even made rumblings about sending Tesla more of their money for the P85D Ludicrous upgrade.

Let that sink in for a minute. That's hard to imagine if they feel that they've been duped to begin with. Why would you send a con artist more of your money if he duped you in the first place?

More holes in the argument.

They've petered out indeed this whole "horsepower" dispute here has already started to peter out. And to that I can only say; Good riddance.

Last edited:
For that price Audi gives many exterior styling differences with carbon front spoiler and rear diffuser. A much better engine, gearbox, drive train, suspension parts, bigger brakes, another interior with more expensive material and better seats +++

Tesla. Red color brake calipers and larger old type engine in the back that cost almost the same to produce, if you did order earlier you did get some stiffer dampers they stopped using in April because of issues? And allowed to pay extra for a carbon spoiler and next gen seats in the beginning.

According to Audi suspension parts in S7 and RS7 are the same, the difference is in tuning only (read - settings). Based on Audi brochure there is no difference in seats except diamond vs honeycomb stitching. Carbon front spoiler and rear diffuser are part of the optional Carbon Optic package, at additional price. All of the exterior differences are cosmetic and superficial, i.e. cost the same to produce, just included so that RS7 can be distinguished from S7 by a trained eye (things like "oval exhaust outlets" vs. S model "quad exhaust outlets", "RS exclusive Singleframe grille" vs. S "platinum Gray Singleframe grille"...).

All of the powertrain components that you listed are integral to achieving the 0.8s improvement in 0 to 60mph, which is matched by Tesla.

To sum all of the above, the only meaningful in terms of cost impact differences that are not matched by Tesla are wheels/tires (20" in RS7 vs 19" in RS), front brakes (RS7 15.4" ventilated wave-design vs. 15.7" ventilated front for S), and carbon fiber interior inlays. A $6K in value for the above will make the price of the two performance upgrades - one from Audi, and another from Tesla identical.

Last edited:
Agreed.

It has, or more accurately, "had" the potential to become a real powder keg issue.

But because some of those who are griping, are the very ones providing the ammunition to dispute their position in the form of presenting prior advertisements, it should peter out.

How many P90D owners do you see, with or without Ludicrous, in here complaining about not having "762 horsepower"?

How many people in here have you seen saying that they won't be buying a P90D because it doesn't have 762 horsepower?

Their only complaint, if they have one, is based on the actual "performance" of their vehicles, i.e. the 10.9 issue as opposed to any "horsepower numbers".

Imagine that.

They don't seem to care as much about "horsepower" as they do about achieving that 10.9 that they were promised.

This P85D horsepower issue is as dead as a New Years Eve party on January 2nd. There are few revelers left. And of the ones who are left, they all seem to have passed out. The ones who are still "awake", well some of them have even made rumblings about sending Tesla more of their money for the P85D Ludicrous upgrade.

Let that sink in for a minute. That's hard to imagine if they feel that they've been duped to being with. Why would you send a con artist more of your money if he duped you in the first place?

They've, petered out and this whole "horsepower" dispute here has already started to peter out. Good riddance.

what a condescending, obnoxious and disrespectful post
to those who have reasonably, patiently and carefully explained their disatisfaction with supporting data to demonstrate their position.

Not only that, you are plainly saying they you support that Tesla advertised their product in a misleading manner in the expectation that complaints would eventually "peter out".
That is exactly the mentality that allows and encourages Corporate abuses of power in all walks of life to all of our detriment.

I don't think anything is "petering" out, I believe that people are just getting tired of demeaning rhetoric and of posts just selectively picking certain aspects of the unhappiness without appreciating how the entire situation unfolded.

what a condescending, obnoxious and disrespectful post
to those who have reasonably, patiently and carefully explained their disatisfaction with supporting data to demonstrate their position.

Not only that, you are plainly saying they you support that Tesla advertised their product in a misleading manner in the expectation that complaints would eventually "peter out".
That is exactly the mentality that allows and encourages Corporate abuses of power in all walks of life to all of our detriment.

Nothing condescending or disrespectful about it. You may not have liked some of what I said. But no, it was none of how you describe it.

Really it's nothing more than my own assessment of what is going on now, and survey of the landscape after this matter has come almost full circle. Thus the above is nothing more than my own observations.

Secondly, I'm not supporting that Tesla advertised their product in a misleading manner, because I don't feel that they did so in the first place. And no one here has demonstrated that they have.

The bottom line here, is that while this matter may at one time have had a head of steam, in large part due to it's sensationalistic and bombastic approach, it's day has come and gone.

Current, and potential future customers, see it as a pebble in the road, that's if they see it as all.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Imagine that.

Let that sink in for a minute. That's hard to imagine if they feel that they've been duped to being with. Why would you send a con artist more of your money if he duped you in the first place?

They've petered out indeed this whole "horsepower" dispute here has already started to peter out. And to that I can only say; Good riddance.

+1

It's funny - reading the original P85D thread actually made me change my mind from a 90D to a P90D. Funny how that works. The evidence presented made me even more confident in my purchase and the desire to get the L upgrade.

Last edited:
I don't think anything is "petering" out, I believe that people are just getting tired of demeaning rhetoric and of posts just selectively picking certain aspects of the unhappiness without appreciating how the entire situation unfolded.

Believe it. It's petered out.

Like I said earlier, you don't see a single P90D owner in here, Ludicrous or Insane, bellyaching in here about "horsepower."

Look at the poster above me.

You even see people in here talking about skipping the P85D Ludicrous Upgrade, and simply going to P90Ds, even though P90Ds are stated at 762 horsepower motor power or 71 horsepower motor power more than P85Ds.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure the above agrees with the ongoing actions by multiple owners in Denmark and Norway. It is just likely those owners are not participating in this discussion (any more).

Well, as a point of reference, how many P85Ds and P90Ds are sold in Norway, vs elsewhere?

+1

It's funny - reading the original P85D thread actually made me change my mind from a 90D to a P90D. Funny how that works. The evidence presented made me even more confident in my purchase and the desired to get the L upgrade.

Nothing funny about it at all.

You were lucky enough to be able to benefit from all the in depth discussion on this forum to be able to make a qualified decision.
This discussion had not take place at the time early buyers of the P85D made their purchase.

Even more interesting is that the informed discussion here actually helped you amend your decision, when the multi billion dollar Tesla's marketing machine couldn't convince you.
Enjoy.

You were lucky enough to be able to benefit from all the in depth discussion on this forum to be able to make a qualified decision.
This discussion had not take place at the time early buyers of the P85D made their purchase.

Even more interesting is that the informed discussion here actually helped you amend your decision, when the multi billion dollar Tesla's marketing machine couldn't convince you.
Enjoy.

And for the next P90D owner, all of the rhetoric may not mean a hill of beans, he's still going to get his P90D that he read about in Motor Trend, because it is the top dog Tesla right now, and that's what he wants and he has the money to cover it.

All of the back and forth going on in here, he's not going to dig that out. Won't even look for it. Won't even know to look for it.

He want's Ludicrous, and that Motor Trend time that he saw, ..........with rollout.... and by jove, he's going to get Ludicrous. He is going to get that underline beneath his P90D, and all the "respect" and track cred that goes along with that.

As long as he's able flat out to dust just about anything that runs up on him from stoplight to stoplight, he's good. 762hp or 762 horsepower motor power. If it does what he wants it to do then it's all good.

No, the whole matter, is on life support, with people trying to use "rollout" in an effort to keep it out of the morgue.

Last edited:

Enjoy.

How many billions has Tesla spent on marketing? I must have missed the ads.

How many billions has Tesla spent on marketing? I must have missed the ads.

Well, he said it was "multi billion dollar", so to me that means a lot. At least more than $1 billion and probably more than $2 billion.

When you find these ads, please direct me to them as I've had great success in rebutting some of the arguments about this issue by using information found in Tesla's advertisements.

I've read close to 300 pages of this across both threads - I see a lot of anger/disappointment, but not a clear set of remediations that owners are asking of Tesla.

Some want a full refund, some want a cash amount, some want a free ludicrous upgrade, and some just want an acknowledgment of wrongdoing and an apology. The majority want nothing (of P85D owners, that is - not of those on this thread).

Some want a full refund, some want a cash amount, some want a free ludicrous upgrade, and some just want an acknowledgment of wrongdoing and an apology. The majority want nothing (of P85D owners, that is - not of those on this thread).

You're an attorney, right?

To your comment of "The majority want nothing" I would object, and say, "assuming facts not in evidence."

Neither you nor I know what the majority of P85D owners want.