Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Model S crashes after police pursuit. 7/4/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stolen Tesla Crashes, Splits in Half in Fiery Multi-Car Wreck in West Hollywood | NBC Southern California

- - - Updated - - -

no no no. this is dangerous. what if your kid does it when you are driving on a highway or bridge or worse while trying to pass someone on a 1 lane rd or making left turn at a light. this is a big no no.

Yes,yes,yes. The remote disabling would not have to be instant or sudden. It could easily be implemented with a 30-second (or whatever time you deem fit) warning before it slowly starts to decrease the allowable top speed and acceleration.

While this is a tragedy, I for one do appreciate the levity! And yes good eye, it is impressive that the console is still active after such destruction.
Instrument cluster. I haven't seen a shot of the 17" yet.

- - - Updated - - -

You might be right. Loaners here have local or temp plates, the guy got into a car with mfg plates and maybe that's what they have in CA.
My loaner (in WA state) last week had MFG plates.

In the video shown on this page Six People Injured As Stolen Tesla Crashes Into Building - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV the reporter states that the police have announced one fatality resulting from the crash, but they have not said if it was one of the two people in the Tesla or if it was someone who was in the white car that the Tesla hit.

That video shows the scene in daylight and shows a large light pole lying on the street. That may be the pole the Tesla driver hit that at least in part caused the car to be ripped in two. Clearly the car must have been moving at an excessively high rate of speed, well over the speed limit for that street which I would estimate as being 45mph at the most.

The police should not have engaged on a high speed pursuit of the stolen vehicle. A phone call to Tesla would have located it. It seems that Telsa needs to make more of an effort to educate law enforcement personnel as to the GPS capabilities of the car.

The reporter also repeatedly used the word "exploded" to describe the fire from the Tesla battery. She emphasized "exploded".

Anyways we hit a light pole like this Tesla did and knocked it down.The good end of the story other than a very minor cut or two we were both fine, the light pole, not so much. The car totaled but no fire.
Not all lightpoles are constructed the same, especially ones built (presumably) decades apart. Something to keep in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

In one of the videos there were clearly 3 fires burning: the front half of the car and two smaller piles approximately 10 and 20 feet behind the front half. The two separate piles were sending up "roman candles" which I presume were the individual cells rupturing and behaving like rockets. I thought the "intumescent" goo was supposed to prevent fires but the two burning piles appear to be battery modules.
Now that you mention it... One or more of the vehicles could have been transporting actual fireworks.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but better for the 1st death to be a car thief than an owner.
Sigh. Thanks for nothing.

...That video shows the scene in daylight and shows a large light pole lying on the street.

Actually there are 2 light poles down.

The police should not have engaged on a high speed pursuit of the stolen vehicle. A phone call to Tesla would have located it. It seems that Telsa needs to make more of an effort to educate law enforcement personnel as to the GPS capabilities of the car.

I agree that pursuit should be avoided when possible. However, the pursuing police are reported to have crashed 5-7 miles earlier. So the thief continued to drive at a very high speed long after the pursuit was over. We don't have all the facts yet, but it is possible this driver was joyriding at dangerous speeds before the pursuit and that is what made the police decide to pursue immediately instead of wait it out.

That video shows the scene in daylight and shows a large light pole lying on the street. That may be the pole the Tesla driver hit that at least in part caused the car to be ripped in two. Clearly the car must have been moving at an excessively high rate of speed, well over the speed limit for that street which I would estimate as being 45mph at the most.

One might think that anyone that was out for a Tesla joyride would have been travelling at a high rate of speed whether they were being pursued or not. They had already lost the chase car due to an accident. They may have gotten caught up in the moment and gone into an immortal video game state of mind after that event.

Good point there. High school was quite a while ago... who knows when the light poles were built. LA was probably built up though perhaps at the same era as San Jose, where my accident was. I doubt many light poles are frequently replaced.

If I could guess we were traveling perhaps 50-60 mph before driving off the expressway. All I know the crash was so loud that people came from inside the bowling alley to see what had happened.

This driver must have been going really fast.

Not all lightpoles are constructed the same, especially ones built (presumably) decades apart. Something to keep in mind.

"Honest people" don't steal, by definition.

Obviously. But if locks actually worked against those determined to steal, well...they wouldn't steal. And yet, they still do. So like I said, locks and such simply deter those who didn't have any intention to steal in the first place, or are otherwise unmotivated to try very hard.

It would certainly be possible for the SC to conceal all the key fobs in a location inside the building which would be difficult for a thief to locate unless he had done some social engineering in advance. Most thieves aren't that smart.

Uh, huh. How do you know they (Tesla) don't, or didn't? Can you point me to a study that proves thieves are a particularly dumb lot/have IQ's on average lower than the general population?

Not sure this is a confirmed fact:

ezapyme8.jpg

Well if this is true, Tesla motors won't be able to claim that no one have died in the Tesla's vehicle incidents. But, on the other hand, TM would be able to claim that everyone who died in Model S crashes were revived and among living now!

The reporter also repeatedly used the word "exploded" to describe the fire from the Tesla battery. She emphasized "exploded".

Reporters always use inflammatory words like that. If the car had really exploded, the firefighters would not have been able to remove the second person from it alive (even if he or she eventually died). I hate to make the comparison to the recent Porche GT crash, but even the people on the scene couldn't help.

Reporters always use inflammatory words like that. If the car had really exploded, the firefighters would not have been able to remove the second person from it alive (even if he or she eventually died). I hate to make the comparison to the recent Porche GT crash, but even the people on the scene couldn't help.

You have a good point.