Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Model S crashes after police pursuit. 7/4/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Previous statement- No one has died or sustained serious permanent injuries in a Model S.
New statement- No one has died or sustained serious permanent injuries who was in a Model S legally.

How about: "No one has died or sustained serious permanent injuries while driving a Model S at a legal rate of speed."

And if it turns out that the fatality was whoever was "ejected" from the car and that was because they were not wearing their seatbelt, my statement can be modified to: "No one has died or sustained serious permanent injuries while driving a Model S with their seatbelt on."

Kind of a no brainer to belt up before using the Go pedal...

Last edited:
Ah. At first I thought maybe this guy was driving:
naked_man_tesla.jpg

Sorry guys, but it does seem pretty morbid to be discussing marketing wording in the case that someone died.
Unfortunately, discussing just about anything about/near death is by definition morbid. Unless you're talking about CPR I suppose.

- - - Updated - - -

On a lighter note...

Has anybody started collating information (credible or not) about the entire set of vehicles involved and how the non-Tesla vehicles fared?

If someone can describe a motive other than joyriding or suicide, I’d like to know. The car with GPS would have been soon retrieved even without police pursuit.

Have any Model S’s ever been successfully stolen? Who would be willing to buy a stolen Model S? There can't be much of a market for stolen Model S parts.

Anyways we hit a light pole like this Tesla did and knocked it down.The good end of the story other than a very minor cut or two we were both fine, the light pole, not so much. The car totaled but no fire.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the exact angle that could cause the Tesla to split into two.

*The more you know*

For some time now, light and signal poles have been designed to actually 'break away' when impacted. You'd be surprise at how poorly they hold up in shear/bending fracture situations, which is the point. Poles are inexpensive to fix or replace, people are somewhat less so. Same goes for roadside information signs.

Don't hit any of the big highway sign bridges though, they most definitely do not move when impacted, but the concrete base is shaped to deflect impacts.

This sweet study from 1966 shows some of the differences between conventional and breakway poles and indicates the technology's been around for some time, which is why the lightpoles in the ground in the Tesla incident likely had very little to do with the car's split.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/R-610_431183_7.pdf

/*The more you know*

The Tesla would have had to hit something pretty heavy or immovable with the back half of the car to cause that. Probably careening out of control into one of the other cars.

If someone can describe a motive other than joyriding or suicide, I’d like to know. The car with GPS would have been soon retrieved even without police pursuit.

Have any Model S’s ever been successfully stolen? Who would be willing to buy a stolen Model S? There can't be much of a market for stolen Model S parts.

I think the problem here Curt, is that we (hopefully) aren't criminals and can't think like one. This individual may have had no idea as to what they were actually stealing in terms of traceability. I would wager most car theives don't know a great deal about any car they are stealing.

If someone can describe a motive other than joyriding or suicide, I’d like to know.

Well 21" wheels are worth couple grands or so. Sure who cares, but there was that one criminal in California who stole a pack of fast food meant to be heated up in microwave and ended up in a prison.

Sorry, but you Curt seems to give too much credit to mental/intellectual abilities of criminals. Besides being drunk/stoned diminish even those tiny intellectual abilities - there was a guy who being drunk decided to undress fully and go to police department conveniently located next street to arrest policemens in there! Well, he claimed being drunk, but i think one must have to have much stronger reasons(such as a very potent drug!) to pull out something like that. But what do I know?

Last edited:
Strictly speaking, the first statement's still true.

Technically speaking, the new statement is also not necessarily true, since the driver was ejected. The ejection itself is often viewed as the fatal event when it occurs in car crashes. Thus, while the driver is alive (albeit in critical condition, and will likely not survive), one cannot say for certain that he was seriously injured while still inside the vehicle.

This crash won't cause a dip

You may be right, Fred. If anything, the overnight crash demonstrates that the Model S is desirable to thieves or perhaps joyriders.

The high speed crash in Mexico last year following the first road debris incident had little effect on the stock price. I doubt this one will either, especially after a long holiday weekend for investors to calm down and think rationally.

Monday morning there may be so many potential buyers hoping for a dip that not much of a dip occurs. Of course the hedge funds may program their bots to scare out weak longs, as they often do during mornings. In that case a terrific buying opportunity could be presented.