Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stolen Model S crashes after police pursuit. 7/4/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, while the S did catch fire after that horrific collision, so did the white ICE car. The S fire appears to have been extinguished first, with the white car still burning and ejecting flaming pieces high into the air.

The white car never burned. I think it might be battery modules burning and sending sparks into the air ahead of the white car.

The video is not shown in chronological order...

I wonder if they were using water to put out the fire of the Tesla...

Though it didn't happen, I wouldn't be disappointed if Teslas only killed thieves in accidents...

I am already aggravated as I know the media will do anything they can to spin this situation in a way that makes Tesla look bad. In any case I hope everyone with the exception of the thief is ok.

Last edited:
Wow. Imagine the speed and force of impact necessary to make those two halves end up that way, with that much destruction to the other cars. The fireworks may very well be burning cells left trailing. The rear part of the battery pack looks demolished. I'm wondering how the Tesla was stolen in the first place.

Wow, holy cow. What crazy news to learn on the morning of the fourth. This is a sad situation over all, just goes to show the selfishness and short-sightedness of the thief. He is now dead and a lot of people hurt because of his actions.

If he or she survived the crash, it would be a remarkable thing and actually point to the safety of the car. Teslas are the least likely, taking into account number on the road of any car to be stolen. It sounds like the car performed admirably. We should not fear this Monday. I know people were hurt but tesla not to be blamed for that. Any car or plane etc can be used as a weapon

Suggestion for Tesla. Create a time lock security mode that you turn on via the mobile app or a web site. It would lock down the car preventing anyone from driving it during a set time, say from 8pm until 7am. Would be great for dealers/stores and people needing to park their Tesla's on the street.

I suspect the thief broke into a Tesla store and stole key fobs...

He is now dead and a lot of people hurt because of his actions.

Not sure this is a confirmed fact:

ezapyme8.jpg

Not a good idea to:

a. Leave fob in car all the time because its just easier that way.

b. Toss fob into bowl on table in entry vestibule.

c. (If a dealer) put key tag on fob and hang on key board with all the other keys.

Special car, very special capabilities, special care for the fob!!
--

I agree with suggestion that owner should be able to remotly disable the car (stop the motor - regen would slowly stop the car) - either directly (via phone or PC) or by calling Tesla who would them disable the car.

Actually, the long desired/rumored 'valet mode' would solve or at least mitigate some of this problem. All 'gallery' cars at closing are put into 'valet mode' thereby limiting high speed chases. Owners could also use this mode when done driving for the day. I believe the firmware upgrade for this would not be difficult but I admit I am not a tech/programing person.