Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel not able to drive straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

• Helpful
Reactions: SHT54
Sadly i just experienced this two nights ago and thought i was alone on this until i stumbled on this thread. Looks like the solution for this is replacing the steering rack? Some have mentioned an update resolved it so im not sure which direction to go with. If i take it in to SC would i have to pay out of pocket?

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Upvote 0
My service was completed this morning, and so far, it's smooth. Their update:
Correction: Steering Rack (Dual Motor) (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added: STEERING GEAR - LEFT HAND DRIVE(1044832-00-A)
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Steering Rack - Calibration

Correction: Battery - LV (Li-Ion) (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added:
16V LI-ION BATTERY 1.00 300A OP(1598486-99-D)

I asked about the battery, and they said that the new service recommendation is that whenever a steering rack is replaced, go ahead and replace the LV battery. Seems strange in a car less than a couple months old, but I'll take it.

Upvote 0
Sadly i just experienced this two nights ago and thought i was alone on this until i stumbled on this thread. Looks like the solution for this is replacing the steering rack? Some have mentioned an update resolved it so im not sure which direction to go with. If i take it in to SC would i have to pay out of pocket?
I didn't have to pay out of pocket; mine was under warranty still, and protected by California lemon laws. Everything was free. The one thing I wish I did: call Roadside first, not SC. Once I went Roadside, they took it serious and it was fixed in less than a couple weeks. If I had stuck with SC, I would have been delayed two more weeks. But your SC may be better than mine.

Upvote 0
Welcome to TMC! If you put your year/model in your signature, the membership here will have a better idea how to answer your questions.

When you sign up online for a repair, the system automatically shows the estimated cost of the possible repair. Once it is determined that you're under warranty, the cost is reduced to zero.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Anyone still having this issue?

‘23 LR Austin build picked up in March.

On software version 2023.12.9. I randomly started to get the issue yesterday after parking at the store and then getting back in my car to leave. Seems like sometimes it’s worse than others.

Upvote 0
I’ve got a service appt scheduled. Hopefully they don’t give me *sugar* because I have lowering springs and spacers even though this is a known issue.
How many miles on the car? How many miles since you modified the suspension?

Yes, this current rash of steering rack failures is a "known issue,", but for sure, you've complicated the issue by modifying the geometry, etc. I won't be surprised if they deny your claim.

Upvote 0
How many miles on the car? How many miles since you modified the suspension?

Yes, this current rash of steering rack failures is a "known issue,", but for sure, you've complicated the issue by modifying the geometry, etc. I won't be surprised if they deny your claim.
5,600 miles. I’ve had the lowering springs on for probably 4k miles now.

The car also steers fine with autopilot on and I feel no choppiness when the car auto steers.

Im sure like any dealership they will try to deny any warranty claim for the smallest things.

Upvote 0
Lowering springs and spacers are NOT "the smallest things." You've added additional stress to the suspension. ;)

Maybe, just maybe, if the conversation stays calm, you'll get a service advisor that will take your side on this, since the steering rack failure is a known issue. It's not really a debatable point, though, since the warranty restrictions are not on your side.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.
I have the same issue. Does this on auto steer also. I liken it to pinging from line to line. Looking back, I think it has done this since new. Picked it up in November '22, didn't do much driving until a month ago, so kind of forgot about it. Took a 240 mile trip and back, quite annoying, not as relaxing a drive as it should/could have been.

Upvote 0
Just noticed this same issue on our MY LR today. It's only got 4500 miles on it. We took it to the service center due to a tire blowing a belt (protrusion visibly showing on the sidewall). Tesla was happy to replace the tire for $427.50 - which normally would have been free had Tesla actually been a Goodyear dealer (like every other dealership already is), but alas now we have to make a separate claim to attempt to get our tire monies back. Yet another bonus of Tesla's "superior" dealership experience apparently. But, I digress, so I figured given the tire damage the "stepped" feeling in the steering might just have been a symptom of the bad tire - however it's no better after the drive home. Looks like I'll have to set up yet another service center appt to have this looked at. Definitely didn't start happening until this week though - and we had just returned from a weekend getaway trip running 135 miles each direction and I don't recall experiencing the stepping steering issue at all during the weekend trip.

Upvote 0
What was the fix for you?
IMG_9102.jpeg

Upvote 0