Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel not able to drive straight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

• Helpful
Reactions: SHT54
left my car parked at an airport for a few days. came back and immediately noticed notchy feeling on the steering wheel. taking the freeway home felt incredibly unsafe as i couldnt keep the car straight as it clicked into place making me drive in zigzags basically. first available service appointment is in 3 weeks. there is 0 chance i will accept "just wait for a firmware update" for this.

• Helpful
Upvote 0
Thanks for this post! I’m glad all of you had helpful input on this–I thought I was losing my mind. Here’s my Tesla if it helps any of you, the issue is still ongoing:
  • Model Y, Dual Motor
  • Plant of Manufacture: Fremont, CA
  • Version: 2023.6.11
  • Picked up: March 23, 2023
  • Mileage: 867
My pickup was strange: the car had 30 miles on it already and was put into service before pickup, but they said it was that the ‘blocks’ weren’t removed. I noticed missing clips and security nuts on the front; the car had to be supercharged on-site, they took it out of service mode before the charge ended, and the system charged me $18. Took a couple days to reverse it because they were ‘low staffed’ in Dublin, CA. Might be nothing, but driving away, the steering wheel seemed a little off-center (leaned to the right). When asked, Tesla said this was common since it was less than 1%. The car felt great otherwise, but that gave me a bit of buyer remorse. I joked if this think has no service, it’s gonna be awesome, but if I have to come back to Dublin it’ll be a nightmare.

On April 22nd, at about 7pm, I got into the car at a Target parking lot, put my foot on the brake, and put in my driving code. The wheel jerked to the right and made a thud. The screen warned that “Steering Assist Reduced” with an error code ui_a020. Power steering was disabled. I restarted the Tesla with dual buttons and left it alone for two minutes, but power steering didn’t return. The vehicle drove but was a workout to steer. Since I was less than a mile from home, I drove it and made a service request (in hindsight, I shoulda called Roadside; they seem far easier to work with). The earliest available SC appointment was May 2nd.

At home, I restarted using the dual buttons again and left the vehicle untouched for longer. This time power steering returned (and the error cleared), but turning the wheel was funky: as if every 1/8” you feel a bump. I’ve seen some of you call it notchy, and that’s a good description. I left it alone until morning. I’ve since tried again a couple times, and once it seemed like the notchiness went away, but now it’s consistent notchiness.

The service center in Dublin, CA, said they do not have loaners available and have not answered multiple requests for rental reimbursement. I just picked up a rental on my dime cause driving my Model Y feels like it might turn into a murder machine.

On April 28th I checked in to see if they’d be scheduling a tow, and they said no, I have to do that myself using Roadside. They asked if the car was drivable. By my definition, it’s not (a risk for greater damage), but I asked them if they think it is safe to drive. No answer.

On April 29th, Tesla notified me they were out of the part I needed for repair: my service has been moved from May 2nd to May 25th. I assume that means they’ll swap the steering system, but when I asked them what part and how they knew without seeing the vehicle, they didn’t answer. Seems fishy that they haven’t seen the car, know the part, but then are confused if it’s drivable.

After seeing this forum post, I’m guessing I’m about to get a new steering rack and maybe a front subframe in a brand new Model Y, less than 30 days driven. Since it’ll be out of commission over 30 days, it’s close to fitting Cali’s lemon law.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Brad, you might want to bring up "lemon law" in your conversations with them. We were close to that with a Mercury Mariner's transmission problems. Those were bad times.

Sorry they're giving you the runaround, but what really sucks is you, as a new owner, aren't getting what you need to stay a loyal Tesla owner. Teslas are really awesome vehicles. I wish that you would have had 7,000 miles of good experiences, before you had this issue.

Reactions: bradyjfrey
Upvote 0
Brad, you might want to bring up "lemon law" in your conversations with them. We were close to that with a Mercury Mariner's transmission problems. Those were bad times.

Sorry they're giving you the runaround, but what really sucks is you, as a new owner, aren't getting what you need to stay a loyal Tesla owner. Teslas are really awesome vehicles. I wish that you would have had 7,000 miles of good experiences, before you had this issue.
Thanks for the feedback– I just made mention of the lemon law; they contacted me a few minutes ago to ask if I would call Roadside to tow it in and 'try' to give me a loaner tomorrow. I will say I loved it for the 29 days I drove it without issue:). I have friends with Teslas who have had body issues, but never anything like this, and they advocated for it. Compared to every other electric car I've driven, it feels like the future. Well, as long as I don't have to work with their customer service.

Reactions: towndrunk
Upvote 0
Mentioning lawyers always gets their attention. I hope this gets better for you. There was nowhere to go but up.

My service appt (steering rack?) is on Thursday. I got all of my prerequisites out of the way yesterday: replacing front underbelly pan (torn up by ND winters) with steel one from Amazon and swapped out winter tires for summer. Now if I can just keep it clean more than one day.

Upvote 0
Does it mention on the pdf estimate in the service section of the app what they intend to do, eg. replace steering rack?
For me, I have nothing yet; the service is still in 'Preparation: We're preparing your service visit and will reach out if we need further information.' Which is why it seems weird they'd move my appointment back 23 days, but I'm guessing their assumption is to replace the steering rack. I could be wrong; they are intentionally not telling me much.

Upvote 0
STEERING WHEEL ISSUE
--
Have a Model Y we got back in September 2022. I have recently experienced that the steering wheel is not turning in a smooth movement but in 'steps'.
Unfortunately, it means that car when driving on the highway is unable to drive straight, as this is just between two of these steps.
As such, constant steering input with 1 click to the right and then shortly after 1 click to the left is required with the outcome that I end up driving from side to side in the lane as if im drunk.
Anyone that has similar experience or have knowledge if it is a setting that is wrong or if it's a more mechanical thing that is causing this ?.

I had that phenomenon in our 2014 Volt - was a recall i believe on the electric steering system. IIRC - just a programming thing

Upvote 0
I notice my wheel gets stickier on warmer days. Made it to lower 60's F today and almost needed two hands a few times. My service visit is 220 miles SE of here and it's typically warmer there.
Now imagine doing that in FL where it’s 80-90. It was BAD. All the stiff micro corrections to try to keep straight definitely fired up the arms.

Make sure you let them know to test at highway speeds (preferably with a bend) too since sometimes it’ll be fine when they casually drive around the block.

Upvote 0
We arrived at the Rogers, MN SC yesterday at 8 a.m. We were given a chilled, white '18 LR3 loaner (with FSD and performance upgrade) that had seen better days. Interesting to see the alcantara trim on the doors. Lots of curb rash on the sliver performance wheels. The tires had a lot of tread but were quite noisy.

Around 10 a.m. we were given an estimated completion time of 5:15 p.m., which turned out to be dead on. Found out during the last two hours (waiting in the parking lot) when I got a notice on my phone that a SW update (12.1.1) was available for Loaner, that it had been in our phone app all day. I still would have used the key card, but still might have come in handy. Of course I had to install the update, even tho I had it on my Y since last week. BUT, that mean maybe 30 minutes total during the update where we had no AC and were sitting in a black parking lot on a 75°F day so the interior and exterior got close to 100°, requiring opening the doors to let a breeze come through. Strange that the only music option we had was AM radio. Anything else prompted for login credentials.

Arrived with 19% battery, and they charged on a L2 charger most of the day and on their SC (at no charge to us) to top it off. When I unplugged, we had 88%... a nice touch.

When we arrived home and driving in town, turned off the music to listen to the steering and it no longer had that dry, rubbing sound.

Services updated to say, "Steering Rack (Dual Motor) (Remove & Replace)"

Parts Replaced or Added:

Nut&Wshr[SW], M14X1.5, [10], ZNFL, PTP, (1109263-00-B) Qty: 2
Steering Gear - Left Hand Drive(1044831-00-H) Qty:1

Also performed: Four Wheel Alignment Check and Adjust

Cost:
$0.00

Today I want to recheck tire pressure to make sure they didn't add any. I'm trying to keep it around 38-29 psi for comfort reasons, and take a look underneath. I replaced the torn up underbelly pan with a steel one last week and took off winter wheels. I wonder if the bolt and washer was related to the aftermarket pan, specifically the two dished-in areas where I would have prefered to have a washer much larger than the hole.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's great they got it done @towndrunk; I hope you get no other issues!

The steering on mine just flat out stopped working on Thursday (very difficult and jagged without power steering), so I decided not to wait until my SC appointment on May 25 and call roadside in for a tow. That turned out to be something I shoulda done from the beginning; they told me since I brought it in, and it was clearly busted, they'd put it at the front of the line. They were much nicer in person, and told me that I got 'some weird guy that talks like a robot' on my service messages. Repair ETA is Tuesday by 6 pm now (though I would be surprised if that's true).

But funny enough, I got a 2018 Model 3 white loaner that looks like whatever party it went to, it had a great time. Rims are curbed all over, and it's missing a part of the panel where you rest your phone, but it runs just fine. I ended up cleaning it at home cause I was not sure my wife and kid would be as entertained as me.

They did warn me that they've been having cars lately where 'rats are eating the cables.' I've heard of that before, but only from someone who left their car untouched for months. I drive it every day, and I have never had a problem in this area. Much less this reacts like a mechnical issue, not an electrical issue–you can feel it like the steering column can't lock into place. We'll see what comes of it but making me wonder if I need to explore a ratmat or something else.

Upvote 0
That's great they got it done @towndrunk; I hope you get no other issues!

The steering on mine just flat out stopped working on Thursday (very difficult and jagged without power steering), so I decided not to wait until my SC appointment on May 25 and call roadside in for a tow. That turned out to be something I shoulda done from the beginning; they told me since I brought it in, and it was clearly busted, they'd put it at the front of the line. They were much nicer in person, and told me that I got 'some weird guy that talks like a robot' on my service messages. Repair ETA is Tuesday by 6 pm now (though I would be surprised if that's true).

But funny enough, I got a 2018 Model 3 white loaner that looks like whatever party it went to, it had a great time. Rims are curbed all over, and it's missing a part of the panel where you rest your phone, but it runs just fine. I ended up cleaning it at home cause I was not sure my wife and kid would be as entertained as me.

They did warn me that they've been having cars lately where 'rats are eating the cables.' I've heard of that before, but only from someone who left their car untouched for months. I drive it every day, and I have never had a problem in this area. Much less this reacts like a mechnical issue, not an electrical issue–you can feel it like the steering column can't lock into place. We'll see what comes of it but making me wonder if I need to explore a ratmat or something else.

Boy, that beat-up white '18 sure gets around. 😉

Glad you're getting some progress. I sure enjoy mine a lot more with the new rack. I always worried I'd have a glitch cornering and have an accident.

Upvote 0
You can check in the parts catalog where this nut and washer go.

epc.tesla.com

Thanks! Looks like it could have been used in 3 different areas.

1683761687636.png

Reactions: bradyjfrey
Upvote 0