Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staying at 7% overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You didn't understand the context. This was a conversation about leaving a car outside in the cold overnight with a low state of charge on the battery (no human involved). Besides, the AC and heat are enough to do both, heat/cool the battery and the passengers.

Whether there is human in the cabin or not, the Battery Management System would prioritize the battery temperature regulation over the cabin's temperature condition.

Even in its deep sleep with no human in the cabin, the battery will still automatically either turn on its cooler or heater to keep the battery pack in its optimized range and prevent it from being damaged due to undesirable temperature.

Since this thread says the State of Charge is 7%, that is way below the parameter of 20% for the battery to start to either reduce or eliminate some functions such as sentry mode, cabin heater/cooler...

Whether there is human in the cabin or not, the Battery Management System would prioritize the battery temperature regulation over the cabin's temperature condition.

Even in its deep sleep with no human in the cabin, the battery will still automatically either turn on its cooler or heater to keep the battery pack in its optimized range and prevent it from being damaged due to undesirable temperature.

Since this thread says the State of Charge is 7%, that is way below the parameter of 20% for the battery to start to either reduce or eliminate some functions such as sentry mode, cabin heater/cooler...

Not "in its optimized range". The car will turn on heat or cooling to prevent damage. I'm not aware of any damage from high temperatures the battery might encounter while parked. Still, the point is this has nothing to do with my conversation with customer support where they told me the car would maintain the cabin temperature 24/7. I kept thinking he was talking about the battery which is not heated until it gets below freezing I'm told here. When I understood he was talking about the cabin I realized I was in a conversation I would get no further useful information from.

...Not "in its optimized range". The car will turn on heat or cooling to prevent damage. I'm not aware of any damage from high temperatures the battery might encounter while parked....

My bad on confusing the terminology: "Range" here does not refer to distance because we were talking about the hot and cold so it means the range of temperature.

The range of ambient temperature that Tesla can use its HVAC to keep its battery in the desired internal temperature is: 140° F (60° C) and -22° F (-30° C).

There's no guaranty that its cooler and heater can compensate for ambient temperature that is outside of that range.

When there's no cooler or heater to deal with extreme ambient temperature range such as in older Nissan Leaf that relies on air cooling system, Nissan Leaf owners have been complaining of premature battery damage in Arizona, California, and Texas' heat.

...they told me the car would maintain the cabin temperature 24/7...

There's a thread pointing out the problem of A/C is prioritized for battery at the expense of human discomfort in the cabin:

"...After 2 trips to Tesla service center, they told me this is normal, that the car priorities battery/system temperature over interior/cabin..."

For this thread, cabin HVAC is supposedly to be off-topic because we're talking about the battery, not about human comfort in the cabin.

However, it does show the principle of Job 1 for the car: It is to do whatever it takes to keep its battery within its desired internal temperature range and that is relevant for this thread.

That Job 1 costs energy and it can significantly drain a battery that is already in a low state of charge whether it's driving or parking.