Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speedometer visibility issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an aftermarket Dakota Digital speedo installed on the dash...

While we wait for William3 to post pictures, here are a couple example options from Dakota digital:

Rectangular Mini Speedometer
prd_267.gif

Mini Speedometer
prd_sm_292.jpg

I bought the round blue one that TEG posted. I blacked out the "MPH" letters because they are insanely bright.
I have many LED displays which are insanely bright, and I've been tempted to pull them apart and change the resistor(s). There should be a resistor in any LED circuit which limits the current. Doubling that resistor should cut the current in half, although that will not necessarily make it half as bright. Unfortunately, you cannot double resistance by adding a resistor in parallel - that would just make it brighter. So, you actually have to remove the original resistor, and this may require a hot air workstation if the electronics are surface mount (SMD). Anyway, I still haven't modified anything yet, but I think you've inspired me to try this out on my LED clock. I don't know if you're comfortable messing around with electronics this way, but you might be able to remove your "black out" without being blinded.

So, you actually have to remove the original resistor, and this may require a hot air workstation if the electronics are surface mount (SMD).

If it's a small resistor, put a big blob of solder on the iron, and use that to heat both sides of the resistor simultaneously. Then flick it off the board, and clean with solder wick.

Another trick is to use two soldering irons like tweezers.

That's a double-DIN radio, isn't it? ... in which case there would normally be 2 half-circle vents.

Also, I thought that the double-DIN radio was a fairly new option, but I could easily have missed that since I was focused on other aspects of the Roadster at the time.

Yep, current roadsters with double-din have 2 half-vents. This one has a double-din and 3 full vents.

Either a standard that I've missed, or someone has done a lot of work on this.

Another trick is to use two soldering irons like tweezers.
... or use soldering tweezers - a handy tool (I have one from Weller).

Update on my idea: I tried to "change the resistor" on my LCD clock and found that there was none! I'm guessing there is a current source on the chip, rather than using a resistor to set the current. So, it's worth a look, but you might not find a resistor unless the circuit is simple. Some of the newer chips have current drivers specifically for running LEDs (but thankfully, many of them have a dimmer input if you find the data sheet and specifications).

I have an ancient digital clock (Heathkit!) that uses a too-bright plasma display. I went the low-cost, low-tech way and simply taped a bit of dark plastic film over the display window. Its worked fairly well for over 30 years.

Ardie

Yes. I have successfuly overridden the LCD display. I replaced "trip" value on the LCD with mph since trip is also available via the VDS. The LCD still shows "29.5 mi Trip", but "29.5" is actually the current MPH. I don't know if the CAN controller on the tattler is fast enough to make it work without the LCD flickering. but it is on my todo list...

Hi Scott,

I was planning on using the speed signal supplied to the (single din) alpine unit in my 2.0 together with an additional LCD or LED display. You method of hacking the existing LCD display however seems much neater. How did you do this?

Thx
Alan

I did a quick research and short answer is YES. It is definitely doable as an add-on that attaches to the soon-released official OVMS hardware.

In terms of wireless, we could also easily add (as add-ons) Bluetooth and Zigbee modules. Apart from this, I'm working on finding a transparent LCD component so we can create a HUD-like display that shows the current speed. This should fix my #1 problem with the Roadster (can't see the speedometer).

Awesome! This is also my biggest complaint of the Roadster too. A small screen that shows the speed would be great.

Awesome! This is also my biggest complaint of the Roadster too. A small screen that shows the speed would be great.

MPH at 45 and above is behind the top of the steering wheel. Those of us with the 1.5s got the VDS screen MPH readout on a firmware upgrade a year or so ago. (Thanks Tesla!)

Ironically with the screen at our left knee and the MPH readout in the upper right corner, it is still behind the steering wheel (now the left side)...

MPH at 45 and above is behind the top of the steering wheel. Those of us with the 1.5s got the VDS screen MPH readout on a firmware upgrade a year or so ago. (Thanks Tesla!)

Ironically with the screen at our left knee and the MPH readout in the upper right corner, it is still behind the steering wheel (now the left side)...

Eric,

This is probably off-topic (there is a separate thread specifically dedicated to moaning about not being able to see the speedometer), but can you post a picture of this so we can see how it works (presumably while holding your cellphone camera up to the dashboard while doing > 45mph ;-)

Eric,

This is probably off-topic (there is a separate thread specifically dedicated to moaning about not being able to see the speedometer), but can you post a picture of this so we can see how it works (presumably while holding your cellphone camera up to the dashboard while doing > 45mph ;-)

I did take one. At speed. :)

Now I have to find it on some old sandisk.

... I'm working on finding a transparent LCD component so we can create a HUD-like display that shows the current speed. This should fix my #1 problem with the Roadster (can't see the speedometer).
If you want HUD, you might just use a bright 7-segment LED display. Placed facing out at the back of the binnacle, you can probably read it reflection in the windshield. (Of course you'd have to program the display to be mirrored.)

Eric,

OK, I understand this now. I misread it first and thought Tesla had provided you some firmware that showed your speed above the steering wheel when you were going >45mph!

The 2.x cars have the speed on the VDS, but down at your knee is not usable (not to mention it is still obscured for those of us with long legs).