Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An update: the lane departure works (a little annoying, but not bad). The adaptive cruise does not seem to work. I have only tested it in traffic today. The cruise is fine, the adaptive doesn't seem to do anything at all.

The myth that because the new steering wheel stalk shows "ACC" on e end means that there is a working Adaptive Cruise a Control function on Model S's with that stalk right now keeps popping up no matter how many times other post that ACC IS NOT YET FUNCTIONAL!

Read your Model S manual. There is no functional ACC at this time. Speculation is that it is coming soon in a software update. No one outside Tesla knows when this will happen.

We didn't get the new features, only the reverse stalk. And we still have 5.14. We had a service center pickup for a couple of things (and what a great experience that was -- just awesome!) and we asked about the update. Also asked about the new hardware since we were told at delivery that we are set to receive some additional features with a new steering wheel. The guy who picked up our car looked at the front and inside, but didn't say much. Only smiled and said that the person who helped us with delivery shouldn't have said anything. He said we'll know more on Thursday. I asked will I be happy or sad. Another smile. Who knows. I don't think we're getting the software update until the announcement. Regardless, if we can add any of these features, I'd love to know from those that have received them, which ones they value more. And I don't think we'll really know about ACC until the ones that got this stalk and feature receive the 6.0 update.

I can't wait to hear Elon tomorrow night! Exciting for the company even if we can't update the hardware. Go Tesla!

Since the car can now "shake" the streering wheel, could that mean it could also STEER the steering wheel? Maybe all this hardware is enough for auto-pilot and it will be announced tomorrow?

I was wondering the same. They clearly went through a heavy redesign of those systems, and I cannot imagine them doing that and not including the necessary mechanical provisions for future "lane hold" - which is already available on some competing cars. If they did, it would seem to be a big miss. Your comment about the steering wheel shaking points that direction.

I think true "autopilot" fits into the "vaporware" category for the foreseeable future.

Since the car can now "shake" the streering wheel, could that mean it could also STEER the steering wheel? Maybe all this hardware is enough for auto-pilot and it will be announced tomorrow?

I'd bet on it (the steering, not the announcement, though I'm thinking a highway pilot announcement is pretty likely. I don't expect the full self driving set yet, though most of the pieces seem to be there.)

From what I've seen, I'm pretty sure the Model S is a dual pinion electric assist system - which would mean that the power steering pushes on the steering rack separately from the steering wheel input, and it could easily turn the wheels with appropriate programming. (This has been the car for all Model S cars I believe and so far I've seen no evidence that the steering systems have changed with the new releases.)
Walter

I thought the front driver camera was not supposed to work yet? I started my car after dinner last night and this popped up. The car was foggy (how do you prevent that by the way?, can I just vent the sunroof while eating?). I used the windshield wipers to clean the way. But this popped up.

On a side note, using the windshield wipers does not clear the camera, so seems that until your car defrost (in cold areas) that new driver assist camera will not work.
syrv9u.jpg

vpj8mh.jpg

We didn't get the new features, only the reverse stalk. And we still have 5.14. We had a service center pickup for a couple of things (and what a great experience that was -- just awesome!) and we asked about the update. Also asked about the new hardware since we were told at delivery that we are set to receive some additional features with a new steering wheel. The guy who picked up our car looked at the front and inside, but didn't say much. Only smiled and said that the person who helped us with delivery shouldn't have said anything. He said we'll know more on Thursday. I asked will I be happy or sad. Another smile. Who knows. I don't think we're getting the software update until the announcement.

I'm in the same boat as you. No new sensor hardware from the outside of the car, reversed stalks without ACC label, and 5.14. I suspect that we could do the hardware upgrade. Wouldn't be surprised if the wiring is already there for us and the sensors are not. But beyond the sensors I suspect the car needs at least the following additional parts swapped:

* Windshield (to have the right cutouts for the camera)
* Rear-view mirror assembly (for the camera and whatever is behind the slits)
* Headliner (to accommodate the new rear-view mirror assembly)

We know the windshield is about $1200. I doubt the rear-view mirror is super expensive. The headliner change is probably not terribly inexpensive. No idea on the sensor costs. I kinda doubt the steering wheel has all the feedback bits in it (though maybe it supports it). So I'd bet on something like $5k to retrofit it to one of these inbetween cars, assuming it has the wiring. If it lacks the wiring the costs grow dramatically from there. Not only do you need to have the wiring and the sensors but you need to have something to plug it into. Which means almost certainly upgraded boards for the computer system. I'm assuming if you have the wiring you have the computer system changes.

If it's possible to retrofit to my car without being terribly cost prohibitive then I'll probably do it since not having this is somewhat eating at me. I'm not even the slightest bit bothered if they announce an AWD S because I don't have any reason to need an AWD car. But lacking these sensors probably means missing out on a ton of features that I suspect upcoming software updates will add.

I thought the front driver camera was not supposed to work yet? I started my car after dinner last night and this popped up. The car was foggy (how do you prevent that by the way?, can I just vent the sunroof while eating?). I used the windshield wipers to clean the way. But this popped up.

On a side note, using the windshield wipers does not clear the camera, so seems that until your car defrost (in cold areas) that new driver assist camera will not work.

Just moved to AZ from Irvine here... :)

The camera is used currently for the lane departure and speed assist features. There is speculation that it could further be used for adaptive cruise and/or other items.

The myth that because the new steering wheel stalk shows "ACC" on e end means that there is a working Adaptive Cruise a Control function on Model S's with that stalk right now keeps popping up no matter how many times other post that ACC IS NOT YET FUNCTIONAL!

Read your Model S manual. There is no functional ACC at this time. Speculation is that it is coming soon in a software update. No one outside Tesla knows when this will happen.

A friend of mine brought up a good point: they really can't release the ACC functionality on new cars with the hardware until they make the announcement, can push the SW and support it officially. Lots of liability issues if they did. I don't know if those who have gotten the update have the HW. My friend got 6.xx early on, but does not have the HW. Makes sense to me.

- - - Updated - - -

syrv9u.jpg

vpj8mh.jpg

Very cool! Now I'm excited. I noticed that my car, delivered 9-30, has a tiny defrost line that runs across where the camera is, most likely to solve that problem. I guess we will see!

If you have taken delivery recently, can you verify the 6th digit of your full VIN?
Is it possible that it is a 6 for those that have received the new sensors?
And can those that have just missed the new features confirm that they don't have a 6 at the 6th position in their VIN?
We might be onto something if this assumption is correct.

My full VIN is 5YJSA6H14EFP58003 and my Model S is waiting in the production queue.

If you have taken delivery recently, can you verify the 6th digit of your full VIN?
Is it possible that it is a 6 for those that have received the new sensors?

I'm still waiting for my car to be built but you may be onto something here.
Us Aussies received our VINs a few days after we were able to (finally) place our orders at the end of May / early June 2014.
My VIN at the time started 5YJSB3H18EFP
I just checked and it's now 5YJSB6H16EFP

I'm still waiting for my car to be built but you may be onto something here.
Us Aussies received our VINs a few days after we were able to (finally) place our orders at the end of May / early June 2014.
My VIN at the time started 5YJSB3H18EFP
I just checked and it's now 5YJSB6H16EFP

We are seeing the same change over here in Europe. Would be interesting to be able to determine if 6 = additional safety features.
If that is so, if you are still waiting for delivery, you can easily determine if you will get your car delivered with or without the sensors.

That digit is being used for the description of the restraint system. But I suppose they could start including the presence of safety features like the drivers assistance features.

As far as I can tell they haven't filed a new VIN decoding with the NHTSA. But I don't think they have to if those VINs aren't sold in the US. I've never seen them file one for instance that explains that position 5 being B is a RHD vehicle. So my bet would be something unique to other markets that they aren't doing in the US.

For anyone that happens to be curious you can search for VIN decoding information by going here:
MANUFACTURERS' INFORMATION DATABASE (MID) | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Put in Telsa Motors as the manufacturer. Part 565 is the rule requiring them to submit the VIN decoding. So you can avoid searching in all the other databases.

As of right now the most recent decoding they have filed for the Model S is:
ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/MfrMail/ORG9130.pdf

I'd like to think that speed assist would have prevented the 82 in a 45 ticket I received soon after taking delivery, but I think we all know that's not the case.
Prevented isn't the word I would have used. "Advised the driver of speeding" is what I see described in the .11 manual description of the Speed Assist feature.

I'd like to think that speed assist would have prevented the 82 in a 45 ticket I received soon after taking delivery, but I think we all know that's not the case.

I'm a little jealous of the adaptive cruise control though.

If only Speed Assist would automatically speed up the slow pokes driving 50 on the highway with nothing in front on them ;-) Maybe combine with lane departure to move people over who are driving too slow, or not passing in the passing lane.