Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Web Browser removal from Model S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
Scared? Why?

So I've been researching something else and then realized that I've never seen seen anybody mentioning web browser in the M3. I even did a google search only to arrive at this discussion: No web browser in Model 3, would you really care? • r/teslamotors
(those of you who have been at various Model 3 events can chime in with you experience trying to start one).

I know Elon promised updated Web Browser some time ago, but what if the plan is just to dispose of it completely, would you really care?
Is it just the terrible browser available now that makes you not use it and do you think if the browser was top-notch you would use it?

Do you think lack of browser in M3 is just because they are working overtime on a better version and did not want to include the old one?

I would say for any app I really wanted to use, I'd use my phone, which will be mounted close to me anyway. I use EVTO-Tesla, but any phone app or other webapp will work better on a current smartphone than on the MCU. Rather leave it clear for the rear camera, and maybe the 'backup' nav, for SuC occupancy, etc.

Part of the issue is, if it worked really well, what would happen to the bandwidth usage? They might have to break out browser usage as a separate item somehow. People would be streaming movies, and who knows what...
If they don't include flash and web video extension people would not be streaming video or audio from the browser so it would not be a concern.

It is present in S/X and I am posting this in S subforum pondering if browser removal on S/X is also in the plans.
Ah, well referencing at least one of the two vehicles (Model S or X) would have helped. Also, you should use the work Speculation and put a question mark. Something like "[Speculation] Web Browser removal from Model S/X?" Otherwise, it's confusing and/or click bait.

I think the chances are as follows:

90% Same browser, never significantly updated* or removed
9% Updated browser**
1% Browser removed

* This means they might update the existing browser codebase, but it's still going to suck.
** Native browser like Chromium
Since there was a waterfall of the features from Model 3 to S/X, do you think the browser would be one of the things just not available on 3 as a differentiator then?

I would actually use it a ton if it didn't feel like trying to use dial up AOL over a 1200 baud modem.

One thing they could do to improve it is add an option where you can set it to only load images and/or videos when specifically requested (kind of like some of the flashblock addons for browsers). A lot of times I just want to read the text, but I have to wait several minutes for all the images and garbage to load first.

I should probably add: I'd rather have it like it is now than not have it at all. So I'm glad it's there. But it could be a hell of a lot better.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: CalBlue 85D