Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation about the Opportunity Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Poor George - they started the thread too early. Instead of feedback on the ALREADY EXISTING console pieces that they will show this wkend there are 5 pages of speculation and "I want X/Y/Z!" posts. Let's just see what they have come up w/ this wkend and comment from there.

Poor George - they started the thread too early. Instead of feedback on the ALREADY EXISTING console pieces that they will show this wkend there are 5 pages of speculation and "I want X/Y/Z!" posts. Let's just see what they have come up w/ this wkend and comment from there.

Agreed. I'm just waiting til the options are presented. No offense, but some of the ideas posited here are "outlandish". It would shock me if the actual options are very far outside of the typical design you'd see in between seats in most cars today.

I'm going to predict that this thread will be re-titled "What you wish the Console could be". And a new thread will be created for "Feedback on the actual Console options" just so they can really sift through the feedback. :)

Yeah. +1 As opposed to looking at this as an opportunity to get exactly what you want instead of something built in that doesn't meet your needs, there is mostly "why didn't they know exactly what I want." This is their first sedan and they chose to go with a "blank slate." In another couple years for Model S.2 there will probably be more generic "pre-designed." They don't have a vast amount of car design history.

I think the problem is that the ventilation ducts that go to the back seat vents pass through the box under the armrests.

I don't see why this would be a problem. Many auto makers are able to provide a center arm rest with storage, rear vents AND rear pop-out cup holders all in the same space as the massive center box of the Model S. My '98 Outback could do this. It makes no sense that Tesla's designers couldn't design something similar.

I understand Tesla wanting to create a minimalist design interior to highlight the difference between an EV and an ICE car but this is just basic stuff. If they had just made the the top elbow rest flip open to cover a small storage space and replaced the current cup holders with pop-out holders that suspended drinks over the mid console in much more ergonomic way then much of the griping regarding this topic would have been avoided.

The only thing now left is to find a place to put my iPhone that doesn't involve throwing it on the floor like some rep told me at Bellvue.

As an option, how about going to a briefcase manufacturer like Tumi and having a case made in matching leather with a metal clips on bottom to secure to center.
Have a button on the touch screen to clip or unclip.
You could carry it with you or put in frunk for security.
Even if you leave it in car it could not be removed without unclip button.
Tumi | World's Luxury Guide
or
Tumi T-Pass Carlton Briefcase - Tumi

Change one of side pockets to be thermas or waterbottle friendly sleave.

I don't see why this would be a problem. Many auto makers are able to provide a center arm rest with storage, rear vents AND rear pop-out cup holders all in the same space as the massive center box of the Model S. My '98 Outback could do this. It makes no sense that Tesla's designers couldn't design something similar.

Sure...I'm not saying it can't be done...just saying why it isn't done with the current design.

Starting with the rear of the console space and going forward:

* Two cup holders (the cup holders on the arm rest are very awkward to use)
* Change box side by side with deeper well for eye glasses, pens, etc.
* Larger space for cell phones, electronic gadgets etc. with connection ports
*If there's still room, one last large space for gloves, purse, misc. gear.

Ideally, all of these storage compartments would be enclosed by individual flip lids in your chosen interior trim.
Please baby please.

KevJo1 brings up a good point...

If the consoles are after-delivery (for "early" Sigs), I wonder if they'll be able to color match the white leather (or if supplies will dry up). Might be another reason to go with the black leather interior.

Edit: "Another" was open-ended. Primary three reasons I'm avoiding the white are (1) difficult to keep clean/new (including the blue jeans concern), (2) interior brightness overload, and (3) I really like the red piping on the black interior.

As an option, how about going to a briefcase manufacturer like Tumi and having a case made in matching leather with a metal clips on bottom to secure to center.
Have a button on the touch screen to clip or unclip.
You could carry it with you or put in frunk for security.
Even if you leave it in car it could not be removed without unclip button.
Change one of side pockets to be thermas or waterbottle friendly sleave.

I had an idea like this that was inspired by my motorcycle. The BMW has removable lockable paneers. This would be an advantage to Tesla due to the limited glove box and storage. Being removable allows you to take it with you like a suitcase, or as above a briefcase. See photos below.

photo12.jpg
photo13.jpg

What?? Wait for Tesla to produce a product and THEN comment on it?

Dear moderators, please delete 80% of the content on this site. :biggrin:]