Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation about the Opportunity Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about a shelf that extends from the bottom of the screen to just in front of the cup holders. About 4 inches thick with a sliding cover on top. This way we can have a place for a phone or other USB connected device all nicely hidden AND still leave the room underneath for larger items such as a purse. It should be covered on top with the same material as the dash.

I've been holding onto this idea for a rainy day, but since you asked. Here's my concept.

I thought it would be cool to have a Tesla accessory that equates to the iPod. A Tesla product that fills this gap: iMac is to the Model S as iPod is to the "______". The product would be complimentary to the Model S but can also be used independently and somehow tie in the cool electric DNA of Telsa.

Here's my take on this product. Take one of the lithium ion cells that are in the battery packs and case it in a machined, ergonomic, styled case. On the end caps your have ports for power out (charge any device), high power flash light (for emergencies) maybe cram in other functionality like a speaker, voice recorder, flash drive, etc. Now have a dock in the Opportunity Console that keeps the "Teslapod" charged. Make a double battery version that has 2x power and room for more functionality.

All the Tesla fans like myself who can't afford the Model S can be a part of it by getting a Teslapod. Yeh, it won't be docked in my awesome Model S but I can charge it, use all it's features, show off the Telsa branding, and share my Telsa enthusiasm on the poor mans budget.

Anyone digit?

No cost standard feature change:
Replace the current cup holders with a rectangular cubby hole of approximately the same length and width-- should be a simple remold of the plastic form. Move cupholders to the opportunity space. The current cup holders are not useable at the same time as the arm rests and a modicum of closed storage within reach of the driver is expected on any car without charge. A couple of standard feature cup holders in the opportunity space still leaves plenty of open space for purse / man purse or for additional for cost options.

For cost options:
+1 wastebasket cubby
+1 larger closed storage for those willing to trade off open space
+1 closed storage cubby with USB (this would be a nice no charge standard feature too)

Quick summary so far of the common points:

Front section should have a dock for the items we'd plug into the USB. The standard edition has the USB under/near the screen, so that fits nicely. A little something there with padded sides so folks can bump their legs up against it. If it had a lockable cover, I think that would fit some needs for locking space. If the lockable cover was a combo lock, I think that would be ok.

Middle section is where people start to differ quite a bit. Suggestions of everything from garbage cans to inductive heating/cooling chambers. Or both. Plus cupholders. Or just leave blank so I can put my bag there. I want the pop-out cupholders Larry Chanin mentioned as the insulated lid to the inductive heating/cooling chamber below. If I don't want something hot/cold, I'll just pop out the lid (into the frunk with it!) and that'll be a nice spot for my bag/backpack/man purse.

Last section, which bumps up against the existing armrest thing with round holes in it (I dare not call them cupholders -- I think those round holes are for loose change?)... a large middle section could integrate into the armrest. It depends a lot on people's desires with the middle section.

Folks have also asked for 110vac ports. While I don't think this is an easy addon, it has been asked for so duley noted.

clmason mentioned a special accessory thingy... I suppose could be the powered picnic basket kind of thing others described and it integrates into the floor via a socket. Can cover the socket for the non-premium center piece and can have a 110vac adaptor on it as well as a 110vac (or whatever is good for the local user; Euro plugs, etc) way of using the picnic basket away from the car.

Now I just need to find a Yogi Bear meme thing... here is one from the motion picture (what?! there was a movie?)...
YogiBear_01[5].jpg

I generally don't like too much clutter in my car and was OK with the negative space. BUT, with the option of an opportunity console, I'd like to be able to have an enclosed space where I can store some stuff. Namely, I have to "hide" my toll transponder when I'm in some toll lanes because EVs and hybrids drive for free, but if it's exposed it will automatically charge me. Also, as others have stated, I'd like to keep a sunglasses case and some change in the console that isn't exposed when the car is parked.

I generally don't like too much clutter in my car and was OK with the negative space. BUT, with the option of an opportunity console, I'd like to be able to have an enclosed space where I can store some stuff. Namely, I have to "hide" my toll transponder when I'm in some toll lanes because EVs and hybrids drive for free, but if it's exposed it will automatically charge me. Also, as others have stated, I'd like to keep a sunglasses case and some change in the console that isn't exposed when the car is parked.

+1 on your suggestions. The change pocket may or may not be sectioned for different coin denominations. Enclosed space large enough for parking passes, cards, transponders, badges. The rest can be a longer enclosed deep space to hide stuff, iPod, extra keys, receipts, integrate a third cup holder for those who "Go Large" at drive throughs.

I would certainly like a place beyond the glove compartment to store mints, spare change, sunglasses, etc. that needs to be closer to reach than the glove compartment.

I also think having a safe place to store a mobile phone and charge it while driving is a must. Either in a safe, closed compartment that has a charge outlet inside it, or a mount with a charger would be OK. And not on the dashboard (like some other mfrs)... heats up too quickly in sunlight.

I don't care for the floor-mounted compartments... they will only attract dirt into hard-to-clean areas. But, maybe something mounted just in front of the cup holders would be OK.

I would like some easy hidden way to store/charge my iPhone.
I would really like a deeper, removable cupholder for my morning coffee.
I would need something to hold my little things I do not like in my pocket while driving, like my wallet and my work badge.

Something to hide items would be really nice too, and +1 if it can lock to keep my kids out (ie. money!)

Tesla may provide a modular system which clips together from a selection of molded plastic units. I would imagine that offering these units in every combination of CF, Lacewood, etc plus appropriately matching leather trim might be too costly for some.

A big issue with the console is going to be keeping it clean from the inevitable spills and scuffs and scratches which will build up over time and in this respect, a modular system is ideal.

Scruffy console? Simply buy a new top facia and swap it with the old one. Also, will the same idea of opportunity consoles and footlockers storage bins etc etc be extended on Model X?

Last edited:
Since Tesla is listening, perhaps they'll take note...

My biggest concern with the "console options" is that it will be easily removable -- perhaps with a screwdriver/wrench, but removable nonetheless. As such, no matter what option is offered in this category there's no "lockbox" type location to put items like a GPS or radar detector. The frunk is the only alternative but that's a very inconvenient place to store such items.

My cheap sunglasses, paper and pencil -- I don't care if they're easily seen or stolen. High tech gadgets are a different matter.

The words Opportunity Console bring up images of an over design.

I like Tesla's 'less is more' mentality, but something is needed. A small compartment that keeps the necessary clutter out of sight, yet is quickly accessible.

And keeps the 'less is more' look.

Perhaps a slightly larger armrest with storage space. Keep it simple.

My biggest concern with the "console options" is that it will be easily removable -- perhaps with a screwdriver/wrench, but removable nonetheless. As such, no matter what option is offered in this category there's no "lockbox" type location to put items like a GPS or radar detector. The frunk is the only alternative but that's a very inconvenient place to store such items.

I would think the Console will be bolted to the car from the inside so it wont be removable unless opened/unlocked first.

I asked George in NY why the sliding armrests didn't flip up to reveal storage in that massive "box". He mentioned something about the wiring, but I still think they can make a little cubby hole under there.

My cheap sunglasses, paper and pencil -- I don't care if they're easily seen or stolen. High tech gadgets are a different matter.

Iirc he said these would not be "tacked on", but rather factory options that you would go to a service center to have installed.

Opportunity Console

The current console is not workable for a number of reasons: First, if I use the cup holder, i need to contort my arm backwards to pick up the cup...very unergonomic. Second, if I am using the cup holder and also want to rest my elbow, I again need to put my elbow too far back for comfort. The 'elbow rest' should be in a naturally comfortable position for all size drivers and the cup holder should be forward of the arm rest. I am 5' 10" and don't want to have to pull my seat sufficiently far back and likewise the steering wheel to overcome this flaw.

I love the rest of the car...but this negative is something I would experience every time I enter the car...i.e. it's not a sometimes thing.

If the Opportunity Console addresses this issue, it would be a huge plus...and it should be part of the standard equipment of the car. I have a reservation in for a $100K version and should not have to experience a $ hit just to get what should be there in the first place.

Hope these thoughts are useful.