Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It makes one wonder what price SpaceX might fetch after a successful StarShip launch.

Cash flows aside, what would this technology be worth in the human imagination?

I hope we find out.

The only revenue generating streams are customer/Govt satellite launches and Starlink. The former has an upper bound which I think SpaceX has already reached. The later one is expected to be $10B/year ?

All the Mars and Moon missions I guess are huge expenses with ZERO revenue prospects? If I were a stockholder, I would ask them to ditch Mars and Moon missions.

Reactions: unk45
The only revenue generating streams are customer/Govt satellite launches and Starlink. The former has an upper bound which I think SpaceX has already reached. The later one is expected to be $10B/year ?

All the Mars and Moon missions I guess are huge expenses with ZERO revenue prospects? If I were a stockholder, I would ask them to ditch Mars and Moon missions.
???
SpaceX is getting paid for HLS (2 landers worth) and fuel depot development.

@Electroman

the resources of 2 complete planets, Moon & Mars, plus all the various moonlets, planetoids, moons, etc etc

with the lunar bases capable of a maglev/railgun launch system and virtually frictionless low escape velocity

you might want to revise the =>Zero<= revenue prospects with at least a $10^18th revenue prospect at a minimum

unless you were being facetious i'm totally boggled

~500 year plan (thats a potential Mars)
1688502883039.png

the resources of 2 complete planets, Moon & Mars
The Moon is not a planet. Nevertheless, it does have resources, though I don’t know how to put an economic value on them since the technology to exploit them does not yet exist. Same for Mars.

How can you assign a value to those resources when you don’t know what it will cost to make them useful to humans?

Criminy, what time horizon are you thinking of before SpaceX is going to be profitable in this venture?
@JB47394

I have been in the markets since before/around the crash of 1983. a tiny blip in time, yet 40 years
(remember that?) (a teeny tiny blip that unless pointed out is invisible)
I vaguely remember one of Musk's goals, i think, loosely remembered
to make humanity Multiplanetary
If ya got say 5 free minutes, take a gander, maybe get an epiphany, or not

Two downvotes - I'd be interested to know why
That's been a split in society for as long as we've had space exploration; fix the planet vs explore the universe. The two factions have been debating back and forth on that one since the founding of NASA. I find it pretty awesome that, as of this moment, you got two upvotes and two downvotes.

• Funny
Reactions: unk45 and JRP3
Well, for starters the other planets in the solar system are just dead rocks without an eco-system, we're not going to make them worse than they already are, no matter what we do to them. In fact if we do build colonies on them, it means we brought Earth's eco-system to these planets, which would make them better by definition.

OT somewhat
@EVer Hopeful
since you ask

did you not watch that short movie?
It should be intuitively obvious to many afterwards
nothing lasts forever

Do you not read Science Fiction? (I have for about 65+ years)
What is the name of this specific forum?

We seem to be on the edge of a potential extinction event, exacerbated by our actions

btw, not to even forget
Chicxulub, (smaller than Vredefoort crater) and (pesky dinosaurs, today is fried chicken day in the United States)
the meteor that created the Chesapeak Bay and (depressed the land near mouth of bay)
the Vredefoort ring in Africa (250km dia) and (impactor was 20-25km diameter going 15-20kps)
Supervolcano in western United states and, etc.
Tunguska (tiny airburst ?15kiloton?)

we live at the bottom of a narrow gravity well, and rocks continuously fall down it, mostly dust, but occasionally bigger

(I'm not sure if I should delete this before my 1 hour grace period as it's a way bit off topic)

OT somewhat
@EVer Hopeful
since you ask

did you not watch that short movie?
nothing lasts forever

Do you not read Science Fiction? (I have for about 65+ years)
What is the name of this specific forum?

We seem to be on the edge of a potential extinction event, exacerbated by our actions

btw, not to even forget
Chicxulub, (smaller than Vredefoort crater) and (pesky dinosaurs, today is fried chicken day in the United States)
the meteor that created the Chesapeak Bay and (depressed the land near mouth of bay)
the Vredefoort ring in Africa (250km dia) and (impactor was 20-25km diameter going 15-20kps)
Supervolcano in western United states and, etc.
Tunguska (tiny airburst ?15kiloton?)

we live at the bottom of a narrow gravity well, and rocks continuously fall down it, mostly dust, but occasionally bigger

(I'm not sure if I should delete this before my 1 hour grace period as it's a way bit off topic)
Not really OT, since this is the fundamental premise of Elon's decision to build SpaceX. We tend to forget that because we are occupied with making money from Starlink and Falcon launches, which do appear to be seriously profitable. Were we to ignore the founding premise for SpaceX we would also fail to understand the share value potential. In short, however we choose to view it SpaceX is the longest of long plays at it's raison d'être.

in the meantime Elon says Starlink might go public sometime soon, so that will afford some sort of share value, possibly a high one.
I really cannot imagine another logical justification for shareholding in SpaceX. For my personal perspective, I took some funds from Kiva, in that I view SpaceX as being almost analogous to an eleemosynary 'investment', i.e. an investment in the betterment of humanity.

That's been a split in society for as long as we've had space exploration; fix the planet vs explore the universe.
And as Elon has pointed out many times; we can do both. We can create a sustainable economy on Earth that preserves the biosphere and we can establish a self-sustaining colony on Mars as a first step towards exploring the universe.

While his position is certainly debatable, I tend to agree with him on this issue. Of course, both goals are going to be extremely difficult. We have the technology right now to achieve the former, we just have to apply it (easier said than done!). We do not have the technology yet to achieve the latter but there are no physical laws that prevent us from doing it. It’s an engineering problem that should be solvable.

nothing lasts forever
That sounds profound but it’s a meaningless statement; obviously nothing lasts forever, not even the universe as near as we can determine with our current tools. So what? As humans, what matters to us is the timescale of our civilization, which at the moment is an nearly infinitesimal moment in time since the Big Bang.

And yes, I saw that short film “Wanderers” a few years ago and I love it!

And as Elon has pointed out many times; we can do both.
Bang the drum, but the bulk of the population doesn't seem to appreciate that. If my cause isn't being given top priority then it isn't being given enough emphasis. The money spent on other causes should be spent on my cause so as to accelerate it - especially those causes which stand at odds to mine.

Reactions: ecarfan
So are you saying that if we ever actually make it off the planet and go somewhere else we won't dramatically change that destination like we did with our own planet? Then what? We go somewhere else still leaving a trail of destruction behind us?

And sure most of our planets are just rocks floating in space, but do you think we'll stop there or do you think we'll eventually find somewhere with some weird green slime that needs eradicating. Or maybe we'll leave it alone, but the mega-kudzo vine that we brought with us will enjoy eating it

Then what is life anyway? Did the European explorers consider the people in the New World (tm) were actual people? or did they just think there was gold to be taken and the locals got int he way of the plundering?

Shall I mention Africa?