Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure the public would like a piece of the action but does SpaceX really need the money?
Obviously I don’t have access to SpaceX internal financials but I suspect the company would welcome several billion dollars more on the balance sheet. I think Elon would like to start sending uncrewed Starships to Mars in a couple of years and NASA isn’t going to pay for that.

Obviously I don’t have access to SpaceX internal financials but I suspect the company would welcome several billion dollars more on the balance sheet. I think Elon would like to start sending uncrewed Starships to Mars in a couple of years and NASA isn’t going to pay for that.
It would have to be really 1000% self reliant, there is no way Elon would want it subjected to the risks of the shortsellers.

They need the money.
I did a "back of the napkin" calculation on the non-Starlink launches this year and got $1.7 billion in income from commercial, NASA, and military launches. Counting the income from Starlink, I'm pretty sure SpaceX is doing fine. I doubt SpaceX is swimming in cash like Tesla but I'm pretty sure they are breaking even with everything they're spending. They can always delay a few Starlink launches if they need to generate some cash. They aren't doing that, so that tells me they aren't having cash issues.

I did a "back of the napkin" calculation on the non-Starlink launches this year and got $1.7 billion in income from commercial, NASA, and military launches. Counting the income from Starlink, I'm pretty sure SpaceX is doing fine. I doubt SpaceX is swimming in cash like Tesla but I'm pretty sure they are breaking even with everything they're spending. They can always delay a few Starlink launches if they need to generate some cash. They aren't doing that, so that tells me they aren't having cash issues.
There is almost certainly an increasing flow of military money into SpaceX for the likely additional capabilities that the more modern Starlink satellites are capable of carrying. This is by now a core US sovereign operational capability so it will get quiet support.

The continued investment into an ever-more vertically integrated Starlink manufacturing ecosystem tells its own tale - not only do they find it attractive to do so, but so too can they afford to do so without having another cash call. And again it plays with the onshoring strategic manufacturing drive that is prevalent in USA.

Why flip out the cash cow, just when you need the cash cow to start delivering the cash stream for a 20-year period. The heroin rush of the quick capital return doesn't seem to be needed at the scale an IPO would entail ? And the pre & post-IPO disclosures would be soooo tiresome.

I am not convinced that StarLink is cash flow positive yet, although they may be and soon will be, IMO. I don’t know how much SpaceX is getting from US military. This is a sum that should continue to grow indefinitely into the future, but could basically be peanuts now.

But meanwhile StarShip is $$$! EM is not one to wait for cash piles to plow forward when he already has the path mapped. Mars awaits. A StarLink spin off IPO of 20% of the subsidiary would be ridiculously in demand and could net 10 to 15 B, perhaps permanently curing the need for cash for SpaceX.

I would think EM would prefer to remain private for many obvious reasons, but he has stated a couple of times that StarLink would IPO At some point. This time next year?

I am not convinced that StarLink is cash flow positive yet, although they may be and soon will be, IMO. I don’t know how much SpaceX is getting from US military. This is a sum that should continue to grow indefinitely into the future, but could basically be peanuts now.

But meanwhile StarShip is $$$! EM is not one to wait for cash piles to plow forward when he already has the path mapped. Mars awaits. A StarLink spin off IPO of 20% of the subsidiary would be ridiculously in demand and could net 10 to 15 B, perhaps permanently curing the need for cash for SpaceX.

I would think EM would prefer to remain private for many obvious reasons, but he has stated a couple of times that StarLink would IPO At some point. This time next year?

That is actually something I had not considered but the military has become involved with Starlink. So I can see SpaceX wanting to keep Starlink and the military satellites they are putting up internal to the company. That may have been Elon's impetus to say "no comment" on the Starlink IPO.

What is the minimum purchase amount please ?
If you google "forge global minimum investment", you'll find multiple sites saying $100,000. They also apparently have a 5% buyer and 5% seller fee on transactions. Lastly, you must be an accredited investor per the SEC definition. There are no citizenship requirements written into that definition.

If you google "forge global minimum investment", you'll find multiple sites saying $100,000. They also apparently have a 5% buyer and 5% seller fee on transactions. Lastly, you must be an accredited investor per the SEC definition. There are no citizenship requirements written into that definition.
Thank you, most helpful. I guess more commas will be sensible and prudent at $100k.

Reactions: JB47394