Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soon-To-Be Roadster Owner in 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine isn't Very Orange but it's also a very loud color being Fusion Red. My insurance company never asked what color it was, and my insurance ended up only being about $30/mo more than it was for the Nissan LEAF it replaced.

Would you mind me asking what insurance provider you have? I'm currently on 21st Century with my CR-Z, and just called, and apparently they have never insured a Roadster. The guy stated he'd been working there nine years and never had this issue...very strange. I'm assuming at this point I'll have to switch insurance companies, but I would love to have the best rate possible.

Would you mind me asking what insurance provider you have? I'm currently on 21st Century with my CR-Z, and just called, and apparently they have never insured a Roadster. The guy stated he'd been working there nine years and never had this issue...very strange. I'm assuming at this point I'll have to switch insurance companies, but I would love to have the best rate possible.

I'm with Liberty Mutual. They had a hard time pulling up the VIN, but they ran it through Carfax and saw it was valid. Apparently they figured out some way to add it to my policy without it pulling up in their system.

Jimmy, that sounds great! I'll look into them. I've heard great things about State Farm regarding Roadster insurance as well. Looks like I've got some shopping to do.

A new guy question to all owners willing to help - can anyone explain to me how to find the CAC screen in the VDS? I remember reading about it on here over a year ago before my last potential purchase, but I can't seem to find that thread.

Looks like I'm Houston bound today to test drive and check out the condition of my potential new Very Orange child. Wish me luck!

A new guy question to all owners willing to help - can anyone explain to me how to find the CAC screen in the VDS? I remember reading about it on here over a year ago before my last potential purchase, but I can't seem to find that thread.

Looks like I'm Houston bound today to test drive and check out the condition of my potential new Very Orange child. Wish me luck!

You can dump the logs to a USB stick (thread on that to set it up) and use the VMSParser command line or graphical parser to pull the CAC as well as your lowest brick.

Jimmy, that sounds great! I'll look into them. I've heard great things about State Farm regarding Roadster insurance as well. Looks like I've got some shopping to do.

Well with such enthousiam, we can't do otherwise than wish you best of luck for your test drive!!!
Very Orange look great!

The best way to get to the CAC (on someone else's car) is by grabing the logs yourself with a small USB key (less than 2GB).
You must first create a 'VehiculeLogs' directory on it in the root (with windows). Then plug it in the diag USB port of the roadster.
Check this thread if you have issues:
Can't pull log files

Once you've got the logs, you'll need Tom's parser to find the CAC
http://www.idleloop.com/tesla/vmsparser/

Enjoy the journey!!!

Thanks guys! Unfortunately I wasn't prepared as I was already en route to the test drive when I saw this info, but should be able to check it out once the car is shipped up here. Having driven a 1.5 & 2.0 prior, the 2.5 was worlds different in my opinion. The ride was so much more silent in the interior. I expect this car has the Interior Sound Reduction kit...regardless I couldn't be more excited to become an owner, hopefully later this week!

GIANT QUESTION:

It looks like everything is working out, and I'm taking delivery of my long-awaited Roadster this weekend!!!!!

My only concern at the moment, is that the car only comes with the UMC NEMA 14-50 connector. I am slated to move residences in 3-4 weeks, and am caught between what to do.

Would it be wise to have electricians install NEMA 14-50 connectors at both my garage for 3-4 weeks, AND at my new residence, or to try and find a 110V universal connector?
But wait...
It appears they're sold out on the Tesla Store...anyone have suggestions on an alternative? Charging time is not an issue, but I'd much rather not spend $250 TWICE to install two connectors, although I fear I may have to. I'd love a 110V connector, but am not sure where to find one. Any and all answers are appreciated! Thanks!

Another option would be to pick up a CAN JR adapter so you can charge at nearby public charging stations until you move into the new place. Depending on how much you drive the roadster, a normal charge could last you a whole week or more; so it may only be a couple of charges we're talking about here.

@djp I don't know how I never thought of that, but you have just saved my life. $100 for the adapter (which is in stock thankfully) is much better than $500 for two NEMA plugs in a month. Thank you so much!

@jimmyz80 - You're definitely correct. I don't drive too much, so the 120V should work perfectly!

I've been under the impression that all Roadster come with a 110v cable / charging option. With my 2.5, it's a yellow cord that is separate from the UMC - Roadster plug on one end, and 110 plug on the other.

Sounds like you've found a solution though either way - I could easily charge my Roadster from a 110 outlet. We drive maybe 30 miles a day (more like 10-15 mostly). But as you're already thinking, once you're settled, even if you don't REALLY need it all the time, having a 200v charging option at home is really the way to go. Every now and then you WILL go on a 150 mile drive. That'll take DAYS for the Roadster to recover from using the 110.

It's good to build some extra capacity into whatever system you're working with (charging your EV in this case), so that the occasional extreme shocks aren't all that big of a deal.

Congratulations! I recommend the Roadster HPC for your new residence. It's the most reliable way to charge a Roadster.

Or buy a Model S HPWC and Henry Sharp's CAN SR adaptor.

I have a Roadster HPC and a Model S HPWC for my wife's car. Just bought a CAN SR adaptor and its on the way to me. I'll use it on the road and it will be a backup at home if I have a problem with my HPC, though that is unlikely.

I've been under the impression that all Roadster come with a 110v cable / charging option. With my 2.5, it's a yellow cord that is separate from the UMC - Roadster plug on one end, and 110 plug on the other.

They did come standard with the 110v mobile charger and the UMC was optional. However some mobile chargers have been known to failed at the GFCI and threw it out instead of replacing the GFCI / plug end. Also the original owner may have forgotten to include it with the sale and its laying around in some corner of their garage.

As for the 110V ensure the Roadster has sufficient time to balance after its been fully charged.

I also tried using some RV adapters to convert the 14-50 end of the UMC down to 14-30 and then down to the 5-15 plug but never succeeded at the Roadster to recognize it.

Thanks @ecarfan! I'm unbelievably excited, and equal amounts impatient! Unfortunately, it appears the Roadster HPC is sold out, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get one right away. I should be perfectly content with the NEMA 14-50 setup and a NEMA 5-15 adapter for my current residence for a couple weeks. And yeah, @wiztecy, it appears the previous owner neglected to include the 110V cord.

If you can't get a HPC from Tesla, you could always try contacting Clipper Creek directly and get a 90 or 100 amp charge station directly from them...you'd need a "Can" adapter from Henry, but you should have a J1772 to Roadster adapter in your charging arsenal anyway...

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations| EV Charging - Clipper Creek

Just some additional food for thought... I also struggled with this decision when I purchased my roadster, but have decided to stick with the UMC for now. I'm really hoping the 3.0 upgrade will switch the charging port over to the Model S style connector, so we can use the very common and quite affordable HPWC for the Model S. So I'm waiting to spend a bunch on charging solution until we know those details.