Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

some Model S drivers are just jerks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent, I'm ready to back off my position lol as I await delivery of my first electric ride.

Sorry supratachophobia sounds like I was probably off, but at the same time I don't want to run to a plug or aren't I just back to running to the gas station ??? I want my HPWC and the local Supercharger in a pinch to be all I need. But it seems I may be mistaken.. or I'm just the exact perfect candidate for this thing.

Brianman yes that is the ultimate solution.. and when we use the plugs, it shows they're desired. So let's use 'em !

And JohnQ I'll certainly be putting post-its and a pen in the consol... err, glove compartment :biggrin: and a couple of orange pylons for the trunk :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and David99 sorry didn't want to forget you, you speak the truth. But that karma thing, it's a .. well it's noteworthy from my experience :wink:

If the Tesla Model S becomes this "luxury" car that's intrusive to lower cost, lower range electric cars, then it's easy to envision some sort of backlash. Heck, it could be argued by the size of some of the "Green" spots that the Model S already has some "Green" detractors.

I'll offer one:
Increase supply until it dwarfs demand.

I'm with you. Let's build millions of charging stations. The electric grid is present pretty much anywhere. It would be perfect if every parking structure and strip mall and business park had plenty of charging stations so that you can park and charger where you want. But that's an expensive solution that will take a lot of time. Many years. The less expensive solution is to put charging spots in less convenient places. That'll eliminate the jerks right there. LOL

I'll offer one:
Increase supply until it dwarfs demand.
I've seen a number of lamp posts in parking lots with NEMA 5-20 outlets (not much for a Tesla, but lots of other EVs can use an L1 charger), and every lamp post in a lot I've seen has an access panel. Here are my Dumb Questions of the week: 1) how much energy (amps/volts) are available in the "average" such light, and 2) is it possible to connect EVSE gear to said lamps?

Think of how many of those buggers are out there, and I'm pretty sure none are in use during the day (kind of limits charging when they're on, but... maybe not?)

I've seen a number of lamp posts in parking lots with NEMA 5-20 outlets (not much for a Tesla, but lots of other EVs can use an L1 charger), and every lamp post in a lot I've seen has an access panel. Here are my Dumb Questions of the week: 1) how much energy (amps/volts) are available in the "average" such light, and 2) is it possible to connect EVSE gear to said lamps?

Think of how many of those buggers are out there, and I'm pretty sure none are in use during the day (kind of limits charging when they're on, but... maybe not?)

Back when I didn't have a home charger for several months, I used to go around parking structures and look for outlets. They pretty much all sucked. They are connected to very long wires and there is often already some load on the circuits. When I plugged in the voltage dropped quite a but and the car adjusted the power down to 8 Amp or something like that. It made charging so slow it was not even worth it.

Back when I didn't have a home charger for several months, I used to go around parking structures and look for outlets. They pretty much all sucked. They are connected to very long wires and there is often already some load on the circuits. When I plugged in the voltage dropped quite a but and the car adjusted the power down to 8 Amp or something like that. It made charging so slow it was not even worth it.
Understood. I wouldn't even look at an L1 if it weren't an emergency. In fact, the one's we've tested here at work (which used to supply a small fleet of Vantage NEVs) seem to be dead or useless.

I've just been wondering about those lamps with higher energy feeds: do they exist? do they have 40+ amps and 240+ volts? And if so what might be possible?

1) how much energy (amps/volts) are available in the "average" such light, and 2) is it possible to connect EVSE gear to said lamps?

Most street lights are wired with very small conductors just sufficient for powering the lamp. It wouldn't make sense to spend more money for more copper when it's not needed. Usually just two conductors for a 120 volt supply and it wouldn't even be adequate for a 15 amp outlet typically.

Here's a Model S jerk ICEing an EV parking spot. Some other owner left a note on his hood yelling at him for blocking the charging spot. The thing that pisses me off the most those is that I've caught this owner blocking these spots many time. I've personally left notes on the hood so I know for sure he's got them and he continues to keep parking here and blocking other EV owners from charging. This is now a problem at this train station too because there are several volts and leafs and a BMW i3 and me that use these spots daily and this guy continues to block one of the spots sometimes leaving other owners unable to charge. In fact, every time I've seen this car (I know it's the same bc of the VIN#), I don't think he's ever charged once. He just uses it as if he thinks it's his personal reserved spot.

df2482e0fdff31bb6c2af03e5cc85ce0.jpg

ad400180e351349439534c0708253a17.jpg

29d1b8e9ea65f6fd941a511219986b19.jpg

I wonder if you could get any support from Tesla on this...perhaps they could ask the local Tesla store folks to contact the owner and politely suggest that they stop this behavior as other EV drivers are noticing his frequent "bad charge station protocol" and let the owner know that he is not "helping the cause"...

"Conscience is the inner voice that warns us that someone might be looking."

H.L. Mencken

Last edited: