Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Wish List.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Is there any software wishlists out there?

I Know sometimes things actually get through via Elons omnipitent Twittering ( like Joe Mode ) … but is there any places to put Things? Here or elsewhere?

Anyway, here is mine after driving my Y for a few days.

Windscreen wipers.
Method of turning these on is not good - actually dangerous in some cases - I have flash downpour on my second drive on the M25 - had to just keep pressing the stalk button till the traffic cleared to find the screen buttons.
Current:
Quick Press stalk button then look down to press the 1/2/3/4/Auto ( auto being terrible)
Proposed:
Quick Press stalk once / Twice / Thrice / Um…Fourse? times to change speed
Or
Quick Press Stalk once > left scroll wheel then controls the speed up and down.

Actually the Scroll wheels need to be customisable and usable depending what you are doing. Certainly the left one.
Press the Heating button > Scroll wheel controls that.
Press the Screen Brightness > Scroll wheel controls that.

The right doesn’t do anything unless in Cruise or Autopilot ( press to Command )

Child lock
Why is this on the Commands screen - certainly while in Drive Mode? Should only appear / or can be changed in Park. Or have a confirmation button

Apple Music / Google / Amazon Music as sources
No reason this is not integrated - API is and integration is completely free. Any sort of issues EM may have with these companies shouldn’t matter. They are all well used - much more than Tidal.

CarPlay and Android Auto

Never going to happen but…

Reactions: carlos916
Upvote 0
Better space utilization on the screen, I would like to see a reduction in size or ability to remove the driving visualizations on the left hand side of the screen. Under normal driving circumstances, they don't serve any function at all. The only time they come in useful is when I'm parking close to objects. I can only see these being useful with FSD.

Reactions: Way Downunder
The "visualization" concept is useless, IMHO. Since I drive with my head up all the time, looking 360 degrees around me, I always know what's around me. In fact, I can see BEYOND the visualization and see the upper brake light 3-4 cars ahead of me and prepare to stop.
I also don't need such a large navigation screen 100% of the time.

Offline saved maps, like Google Maps can do. We have huge areas with no LTE coverage out here in the mountains.

Per driver profile default media settings, I prefer a local FM radio station, the other driver only uses music over BT from their phone.

Show CCS chargers on maps options. Again, there are ~260 mile gaps between superchargers on some routes out here, and supplemenging with CCS is not optional there.

One time next departure charging / preconditioning setting (instead of a continuous setting). We don't have a normal weekly schedule. I had to rig HomeAssistant to do this for us instead.

Automatic "charge only when grid is cleanest" function. Again, I had to rig this up using HomeAssistant instead. Tesla could definitely sell this as a service to grid operators to more effectively soak up peak renewable production.

Reactions: BitJam
In order to save energy and extend the range. These things can be done from settings by the driver.

- for 4x4 models. resticting it to 2x4
- decreasing the HP

some people dont need that much of HP and 4x4 feature especially for incity. in my opinion that would increase the mileage a lot.

My wife sits in the back seat with our son. It would be nice to be able to turn the rear fan on/off from the app. Yes, I know there is hardware that can do this. However, I have a 2023 MY and there is no ports located behind the center console like previous models.
It would also be nice if the car doesnt lock, shut off a/c, and close windows when I leave and they are still in the car.

Reactions: father_of_6
My wife sits in the back seat with our son. It would be nice to be able to turn the rear fan on/off from the app. Yes, I know there is hardware that can do this. However, I have a 2023 MY and there is no ports located behind the center console like previous models.
It would also be nice if the car doesnt lock, shut off a/c, and close windows when I leave and they are still in the car.
You can set that prior to leaving the car.
Access the HVAC control panel, then look on the right side, there are icons for "Keep" "Dog" and "Camp." Click on "Keep" and the HVAC will maintain the temp...until your HV battery gets down to 20%, IIRC,

Reactions: chucktaylur
In order to save energy and extend the range. These things can be done from settings by the driver.

- for 4x4 models. resticting it to 2x4
- decreasing the HP

some people dont need that much of HP and 4x4 feature especially for incity. in my opinion that would increase the mileage a lot.

I'm being pedantic, but this isn't really open to opinion. It's objective. Either these changes will increase mileage or they won't. I actually suspect that they *won't* increase mileage.

Tesla has incredible efficiency compared to other EVs. If they could increase efficiency by cutting off a drive unit and decreasing horsepower, they would. Or at least they would make a new driving mode ("high efficiency mode") that allows owners to do this at will.

- for 4x4 models. restricting it to 2x4
- decreasing the HP

some people don't need that much of HP and 4x4 feature especially for in city. in my opinion that would increase the mileage a lot.
The AWD Model Ys do this already. The default is RWD if you are moving forward. The default changes to FWD if you are in reverse. Power only goes to all four wheels when it is needed for acceleration/traction. There is no direct manual control over where the power goes but I don't think it's needed.

I can't find authoritative proof of this ATM but I am sure of it. It's one of the reasons I got an AWD Tesla. And I'm reminded of it almost every time I back up my steep gravel driveway. The rear motor uses permanent magnets which is more efficient while an induction motor is used in the front because, unlike permanent magnet motors, it can be fully disengaged. For normal driving you're using the more efficient rear motor and the front motor is disengaged.

The AWD Model Ys do this already. The default is RWD if you are moving forward. The default changes to FWD if you are in reverse. Power only goes to all four wheels when it is needed for acceleration/traction. There is no direct manual control over where the power goes but I don't think it's needed.

I can't find authoritative proof of this ATM but I am sure of it. It's one of the reasons I got an AWD Tesla. And I'm reminded of it almost every time I back up my steep gravel driveway. The rear motor uses permanent magnets which is more efficient while an induction motor is used in the front because, unlike permanent magnet motors, it can be fully disengaged. For normal driving you're using the more efficient rear motor and the front motor is disengaged.
I dont think this is completely true though.

The rear is the ones driving the car if not a lot of power is needed.

The front motor is of a type that can freewheel, but the rear is not, so in reverse you will still need to power the rear motor otherwise it will not spin.

The rear is the ones driving the car if not a lot of power is needed.
Okay. I'm glad we agree here. This was the main point. The front motor is automatically disengaged to increase efficiency.

The front motor is of a type that can freewheel, but the rear is not, so in reverse you will still need to power the rear motor otherwise it will not spin.

Since my experience of spinning only the front tires while in reverse does not suffice, here are more people with the same observation:
So - bit of snow from Storm Eunice - car is great going forward but in reverse the front wheels are slipping but the back do not appear to be powered? Is that correct? AWD only works in front drive mode not reverse?
Later on in the thread someone explains how the rear motor can freewheel:
Secondly, the inverters are perfectly capable of driving the rear motor in a zero torque state (i.e. freewheel). This is exactly what happens when you hold the accelerator at a point between applying (positive) torque and applying breaking torque (i.e. regen) - at that accelerator position both motors are in a zero torque state, so effectively freewheeling.🙂

I apologize for not being able to find a more authoritative source for this information.

Okay. I'm glad we agree here. This was the main point. The front motor is automatically disengaged to increase efficiency.

Since my experience of spinning only the front tires while in reverse does not suffice, here are more people with the same observation:

Later on in the thread someone explains how the rear motor can freewheel:

I apologize for not being able to find a more authoritative source for this information.
In the "zero torque state" the motor is still powered because otherwise a permanent magnet motor will not spin.

We are not talking huge amounts of power, but it is powered. Only the front induction motor will spin freely without being applied any power.