Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So...are there any NON-Tesla EVs or PHEVs you are looking forward to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So, like a lot of "Car" forums (which, make no mistake, this one is), most of us are Tesla fans to some extent, but are there other "non Tesla" EVs or PHEVs you are looking forward to? In my case, I'm interested in seeing:

1. The new Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV (debuts tomorrow - hopefully released in late Fall) - I know this is a PHEV and EV purists will balk, but no one has introduced a plug-in in this size class (i.e. THE most popular SUV class) as of yet. Even with its suspected paltry EV range of 15-18 miles it would cover most of our local driving w/o any long distance compromises. It helps that we are fans of our current XC60.

2. The Chevy Bolt EV - Yep, it's out, but not here in Texas until very late Summer (more likely Fall). I am most interested in its smaller size and fun to drive quotient.

3. The next gen BMW 330e (or whatever it will be called) - Yes, the 330e just came out, but the current gen 3 series is nearing the end of its life and the next gen will likely go a bit farther (no where to go but up since the current model has a sad 14 miles of EV range). The new BMW 530e doesn't give me a lot of hope here though as the battery is only slightly larger.

Honestly, beyond these few my crystal ball starts getting pretty fuzzy. The Jaguar I Pace SUV looks promising, but honestly, (as with the Bolt EV) longer distance cruising w/o the supercharger network is a pain...heck, it can be a pain WITH the supercharger network. I really do look forward to the day when everything has a plug and the selection is more tolerable.

Your thoughts?

No. They've ruined other cars for me.

Motorcycles, however... Unfortunately the companies keep going bust before delivering anything with good specs. (No, Zero doesn't have good specs for where I live, it's 60-70 miles to anywhere interesting, and then I still need to get back.)

Short answer? No.

Problem is, even if there was a compelling EV in the works by another manufacturer, no other manufacturer yet has the mission to go with it. And the mission is, in my opinion, more important than the car.

The car needs to come with the mission to build out the necessary infrastructure and help on the energy production side as well, as if we don't clean up the power plants, all this push for EVs doesn't reach it's most important goal.

Tesla has proved to be exceptionally strong on mission, building the supercharger network, having large enough batteries for useful range, putting in lots of destination chargers, and building the Gigafactory that will not only help build more cars, but perhaps more importantly, provide batteries for stationary energy storage for both residential and commercial use, increasing the viability of large scale solar power.

The Tesla mission includes both solid vision and solid execution that encompasses the entire life cycle of the car and the energy that powers it. Honestly, until another company can live up to that same high standard, I can't see buying another other brand EV even if they build a better car.

Reactions: Sasmania
I am actually looking forward to seeing VW/Audi's lineup as they move into EVs. I know they are terrible for the whole diesel gate thing, but the one thing that did was kick them in the pants into getting a robust EV program going.

They are investing in infrastructure as well (because they have to, but hey, I'll gladly charge up at a VW supplied fast charger )

My husband currently drives an Audi S4 and loves it. Tesla is a little too "out there" in their no button minimalist design choices for him, but if Audi made an EV version of the S4, he would be all over that and we would be a 2 EV household.

I am actually looking forward to seeing VW/Audi's lineup as they move into EVs. I know they are terrible for the whole diesel gate thing, but the one thing that did was kick them in the pants into getting a robust EV program going.

They are investing in infrastructure as well (because they have to, but hey, I'll gladly charge up at a VW supplied fast charger )

My husband currently drives an Audi S4 and loves it. Tesla is a little too "out there" in their no button minimalist design choices for him, but if Audi made an EV version of the S4, he would be all over that and we would be a 2 EV household.

I have to agree. Before I bought my Model S (CPO as well) I test drove the second gen Volt, BMW i3 rex and Audi A3 E-tron. If the Audi's range were closer to that of even the gen 1 Volt (heck even 25 miles of range) I would likely be driving it now. It just flat out DROVE better than the others with fewer compromises than, say, the BMW i3. I still have a soft spot for it, but don't see Audi introducing much for a while. The lack of PHEVs with decent range makes me realize just how far ahead of its time my old gen 1 Volt was...

Reactions: Az_Rael
On the lower price end of the scale I must admit the Hyundai Ioniq has my interest piqued.

It seems practical from an interior space point of view, and looks better than say, the Bolt.

Bjorn Nyland called it "Almost as good as the Tesla for 1/3 the price."

On the minus side it only has a 124 mile/200km range, but Hyundai says they'll come out with a 200 mile/300km range next year.

Not much known about the PHEV, but at first glance seems to be better than the Prius Prime.

I'm going to keep my eye on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sasmania
On the minus side it only has a 124 mile/200km range, but Hyundai says they'll come out with a 200 mile/300km range next year.

Not much known about the PHEV, but at first glance seems to be better than the Prius Prime.
The 2017 Ioniq Electric has a range of 124 miles. It's not at all clear that the 2018 Ioniq Electric will have a range of 200+ miles. It's unlikely to be done simply with new cells and would probably require major structural surgery. Some articles have said that it will have 200 miles range but they may be confusing it with a different 200+ mile Hyundai vehicle rumored to come out for 2018. Hyundai press reps won't say anything one way or the other on the record.

The Prius Prime has about 50% more HP or kW output power. The Prime also has a heat pump for colder temperatures where the Ioniq PHEV relies on the gasoline engine for waste heat. On the other hand, actual owners report that the Prime sometimes still starts up the gas engine in cold temperatures for reasons that aren't always clear.

Generally speaking, the Prime won't start the gas engine until 85 mph at higher states of battery charge. The Ioniq doesn't make that promise and is more prone to startup the gas engine during acceleration, especially at highway speeds. The Ioniq does a better job of hiding its battery and gets slightly better range (27+ vs 25 miles).

On paper, the Prime looks better as a PHEV but we need to see more real-world feedback. The Chevrolet Volt is clearly better than either the Ioniq or Prime on electric driving with twice the range, much better acceleration, and guarantees to never start the gas engine due to acceleration or vehicle speed. On the other hand, it is probably less efficient electrically and has worse gas mileage for longer distance driving and is a bit more expensive before credits and rebates.

I drove all 3 Ioniq powertrains at a recent Hyundai media event.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Review - First Drive - HybridCars.com

Last edited:
The 2017 Ioniq Electric has a range of 124 miles. It's not at all clear that the 2018 Ioniq Electric will have a range of 200+ miles. It's unlikely to be done simply with new cells and would probably require major structural surgery. Some articles have said that it will have 200 miles range but they may be confusing it with a different 200+ mile Hyundai vehicle rumored to come out for 2018. Hyundai press reps won't say anything one way or the other on the record.

The Prius Prime has about 50% more HP or kW output power. The Prime also has a heat pump for colder temperatures where the Ioniq PHEV relies on the gasoline engine for waste heat. On the other hand, actual owners report that the Prime sometimes still starts up the gas engine in cold temperatures for reasons that aren't always clear.

In warmer temperatures, the Ioniq is very slightly more efficient in electric-only driving but the Prime won't start the gas engine until 85 mph at higher states of battery charge. The Ioniq doesn't make that promise and is more prone to startup the gas engine during acceleration. The Ioniq does a better job of hiding its battery and gets slightly better range (27+ vs 25 miles).

On paper, the Prime looks better as a PHEV but we need to see more real-world feedback.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Review - First Drive - HybridCars.com
I noticed this option on their current PHEV:
Hyundai WarmUp System
Keep the inside of your car warm in winter months without using a drop of fuel! The Hyundai WarmUp System includes an interior cabin heater and a fully programmable display unit as well as an integrated battery charger.
I agree that we need more real-world feedback.

I read a review recently that said that the Prime was NOT the EV we're waiting for.[/QUOTE]

• Funny
Reactions: wws
I noticed this option on their current PHEV:
Hyundai WarmUp System
Keep the inside of your car warm in winter months without using a drop of fuel! The Hyundai WarmUp System includes an interior cabin heater and a fully programmable display unit as well as an integrated battery charger.
Link?

The Hyundai press rep riding along with me in the Ioniq PHEV said it relied on the gas engine for heat and I verified this by increasing the target temperature and noticed the gas engine startup for no other reason.

Link?

The Hyundai press rep riding along with me in the Ioniq PHEV said it relied on the gas engine for heat and I verified this by increasing the target temperature and noticed the gas engine startup for no other reason.
Hyundai Auto Canada | Build and Price | Hyundai Canada - Hyundai Canada

Select "Choose Accessories." It's under "Exterior Accessories." Not proof that Ioniq will have the option, but I can't imagine it not being an option if it's already available on another one of their vehicles.

A CA sales guy may not be aware of the winter options. :D

Hyundai Auto Canada | Build and Price | Hyundai Canada - Hyundai Canada

Select "Choose Accessories." It's under "Exterior Accessories." Not proof that Ioniq will have the option, but I can't imagine it not being an option if it's already available on another one of their vehicles.

A CA sales guy may not be aware of the winter options. :D
Thanks. It appears to be a product from a Norwegian company called DEFA that is being marketed by Hyundai for pre-conditioning parked car temperatures in cold climates. The product is installed as an accessory and is plugged in to an electrical outlet when the car is parked in a suitable location like a home garage.

This isn't something that provides electrical cabin heating while the car is driving, as I understand it. So it isn't comparable to the heat pump system in the Prius Prime. During actual driving the Ioniq has to rely on cabin heat generated by running the gas engine.

Last edited:
Even though I'm not interested in getting one, I'm curious to see how the next gen Nissan Leaf will pan out. It was the first modern mass produced EV, but its design has been stagnant for years.
Ditto on the next-gen Leaf. Unlikely to be interested in getting it (given Model 3), but I wonder how Nissan's NMC chemistry had developed and if it is any better than LG's. Beyond that, whatever battery pack Nissan uses may become the basis for the Infiniti EV, which may become the first true competitor to the Model 3 in the premium segment.