Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Air suspension confirmed for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk have now confirmed that SAS will be linked together with dual motor in about six months.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Attachments

• IMG_0867.PNG
    IMG_0867.PNG
    424.7 KB · Views: 227
Crap, guess that means I now have to wait another year for my car!! I can live without the dual motors & performance version, but I LOVE the air suspension in my Model S and know that it's coming, it would bug me to purchase the car early and give that up. So much for being one of the first to reserve the Model 3, being a current Tesla owner on the west coast. Not going to do me any good!!

The Model S air suspension has been really reliable, and it's very cool.
Also, awesome username.

Thx!

The problem with air suspensions is that unless Tesla is doing wildly different, they're *all* unreliable long term and *stupidly* expensive to fix when they break. Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Dodge, GM, and Land Rover fans should all be able to vouch for that. They're a neat toy for people who don't own cars outside of the warranty period, I guess.

Thx!

The problem with air suspensions is that unless Tesla is doing wildly different, they're *all* unreliable long term and *stupidly* expensive to fix when they break. Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Dodge, GM, and Land Rover fans should all be able to vouch for that. They're a neat toy for people who don't own cars outside of the warranty period, I guess.
My father's daily driver is an '07 Merc E-class Diesel with SAS and, at least up to now, he has never had a problem with it, about 100K miles in.

I've been on this forum about a year, and I don't think I can recall anyone complaining about problems with their air suspension (I'm sure I've missed some).
Also, it's now not even optional on all S and X cars, and if they were getting a lot of warranty claims they wouldn't do that.
I reckon it's fine, and will get on my next car for sure.

Reactions: eSpiritIV
I've been on this forum about a year, and I don't think I can recall anyone complaining about problems with their air suspension (I'm sure I've missed some).
Also, it's now not even optional on all S and X cars, and if they were getting a lot of warranty claims they wouldn't do that.
I reckon it's fine, and will get on my next car for sure.

Time will tell, I suppose. One of the things that appeals to me about the 3 is the lack of gimmicks. I know some people get a boner for magic suspension (and I've got a magnetic one right now. $6k bill when it failed. I think it was about $5k on the Audi when the air suspension barfed), but for a commute pod I just want it to get me where I'm going.

My father's daily driver is an '07 Merc E-class Diesel with SAS and, at least up to now, he has never had a problem with it, about 100K miles in.

I would be *thrilled* to be proven wrong on this, truly. But I've done this dance with air suspensions and with magnetic suspensions, and I swore off both, so I'm very much a cynic on this matter.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
When the X was introduced coil was available as standard option. People placed their orders and never received it as they never produced any X with coil. Eventually everyone had to opt for SAS if they wanted the car.

Moral of the story - for Tesla I'll believe it when I see it (the actual car, not the tweet)!

Time will tell, I suppose. One of the things that appeals to me about the 3 is the lack of gimmicks. I know some people get a boner for magic suspension (and I've got a magnetic one right now. $6k bill when it failed. I think it was about $5k on the Audi when the air suspension barfed), but for a commute pod I just want it to get me where I'm going.

I would be *thrilled* to be proven wrong on this, truly. But I've done this dance with air suspensions and with magnetic suspensions, and I swore off both, so I'm very much a cynic on this matter.

I feel you. First new car I bought was a Saturn SL, no power windows, no power locks, no power steering, and manual transmission. Only repair items were a motor mount and intake manifold gasket.

To add to the data pool, GM used air suspension on the Park Avenue Ultra for ride adjust along with Chrysler on the Town and Country. It's also used on city buses especially the kneeling versions. Keeping the air dryer serviced (assuming it has one) helps prolong system life. But yeah, more parts that could fail, and those that wear can cost more.

That's great to hear, but I'm very curious to hear about the repair bills for S or X owners who've had to repair/replace them when they did fail out of warranty.

Well, the aftermarket is doing an excellent job of lowering the price of rebuilds on these components for MBZ and other brands; I'd posit that we can expect similar for Tesla as the components seem to be similar or perhaps even identical:

4MATIC AWD AIRMATIC 2007-2013 (W221 Chassis) S-Class Mercedes-Benz Air Suspension Parts | S350, S450 & S500.

• Informative
Reactions: techmaven
From elon post you can read what you want.. but basically he stated that it's linked but he doesn't specific in what way, probably as a timeline.
If it will be included in the premium package ( that could change shape/price ) or in the premium engine or other it's not sure at this time.
I'm expecting that options and prices will change every couple of months while they ramp up production

Nice, another hard to interpret Elon tweet.

Linked in time, or included in the AWD configuration? I wouldn't really mind if it was included with AWD, but I guess others would.
If it's really linked to the config, I doubt we will see a sub 40k AWD Model 3. But I doubt that Tesla would not want to sell LR RWD cars without the option of SAS.