Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sitting in my model 3 sr+ watching the battery drop by 5 miles in less than 20 mins...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
40f outside. Playing music over Bluetooth, ac on 72 on 1. Seat heat 3 and that's it. No sentry, no front lights. What's happening here? I'm literally just sitting here watched it tick? Still dropping.

It’s the heat and AC. Lights don’t matter. Music does not matter. Seat heater does not matter.

AC is about 1-2kW. Heat at 72 with outside temp at 40 is about 3-4kW steady state. Could be a little lower with fan speed 1.

So call that a strong 4kW.

For a 2020 SR+ that is going to be 4kW/200Wh/rmi = 20 rmi/hr.

So at least one rated mile every 3 minutes.

It could be more than a mile per three minutes if the traction battery is also being conditioned. Using the Scan My Tesla app, I found that the traction motor is now also used to warm the traction battery when heating the cabin. I am not sure exactly what the cutoff temp is but the traction battery was warmed with the cell temps around 49F . I tested cabin heating from the phone app and car interface and the only mode I found to NOT also heat the traction battery was using the new CAMP mode. Need to perform more testing to determine at what cell temps the traction motor is used to warm the traction battery. I am going to assume the traction battery would not be warmed at cell temp above 54F? Maybe SMT users could report back to this tread with more detailed testing results related to traction battery warming while heating the cabin. One question I have, would extra power be sent to the traction motor(s) for heating purposes if the car was being driven while using cabin heating at cell temps of 49F?