Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy Tire Insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the service center today and talked to a rep about 12500 mile service. I was told that tire rotation and balance is not included in 12500/annual service unless I purchase the additonal $700.00 plan for my 19" tires. That means I have to go to local tire center to have it rotated/balanced. Is this true? I would figure that should be included in the 12500 miles service.:mad:

Well, it looks like it should. Excerpted from the agreement when you sign up for 4-year service plan:

The regularly scheduled maintenance inspections shall include the following (subject to change by Tesla
at any time and without notice, in its sole discretion):
• Vehicle inspection;
• Replacement or repair at the time of inspection of normal maintenance items and wear and tear
parts, excluding the Battery and tires;
• Wheel alignment*; and
• Tire rotation*

The * are for the requirement that this be done at a service center.

-tj

I guess the rep I talk to was not knowledgable about the service. If they do service the tire then I would not buy the insurance. I am wondering if Costco sells 19" tires.

Thanks

Well, it looks like it should. Excerpted from the agreement when you sign up for 4-year service plan:

The regularly scheduled maintenance inspections shall include the following (subject to change by Tesla
at any time and without notice, in its sole discretion):
• Vehicle inspection;
• Replacement or repair at the time of inspection of normal maintenance items and wear and tear
parts, excluding the Battery and tires;
• Wheel alignment*; and
• Tire rotation*

The * are for the requirement that this be done at a service center.

-tj

I ended up buying it since I have 21" rims and the roads around here (SF Bay Area) are absolutely horrible. Last week I was surprised I didn't pop a tire when changing lanes on the freeway and ended up going over a wide 2-inch gouge in the middle of the lane. The roads are unacceptably bad around here, especially 880 through San Jose, Milpitas and Oakland.

To me tire insurance is like dental insurance. Mostly for routine maintenance <teeth or tires> and occasional bigger issues <crowns or serious wheel damage>. But most of this isn't a huge expense. So if you have the funds to cover an occasional larger expense, these kinds of insurances are generally not particularly useful if you can manage your money well for a year's expenses.

the roads I frequent aren't particularly bad.... :smile:

Looks like the insurance may have gone up from $700 to $900 (hopefully this is only a glitch while the website is down - and when the button pops back up on my Tesla page - it will still show $700 for the tire insurance.

Talked to a Tesla ownership rep today - when you replace tires due to wear, in order for the replacements to be covered, they must be purchased from Tesla. I have Goodyear Eagle 19" tires on my P85. Goodyear lists these as MSRP of $240. When I asked the Tesla rep for how much they would charge for the replacement tires - his response was "under $400". If they charge significantly more than what 3rd parties are charging for the same tires - then this may not be a very big bargain - at least for the tires - though they'll also only cover the wheels if they have authorized tires - so replacing the tires by someone other than Tesla not only voids the policy for the tires - but also for the wheels.

I've got until April 15 to sign up for this - and have asked for more clarification on the plan - because forcing us to pay higher than market prices for the replacement tires is unreasonable...

$700 for 19", $900 for 21" was what I saw.

I don't understand why anyone would get this. Tire Rack sells the OEM 19" tires Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 High Performance All-Season for $145 each right now with road hazard warranty at $15.25 each:http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Model+S&autoModClar=&width=245/&ratio=45&diameter=19&sortCode=57376&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=V&minLoadRating=S&tab=OE&filterType=oe

Even at a new set of tires a year, that's only $244 in insurance, leaving $456 for a wheel replacement, which I believe is far more than a single replacement wheel costs.

I can't imagine even the 21" version makes sense financially.

Think of it as wheel (rim) insurance, with the tires as secondary. That's the only way it makes sense financially. I agree with @Owner, though: don't insure things you can afford to write a check for. Premiums are set to make money for the insurer, on average across policies.

Think of it as wheel (rim) insurance, with the tires as secondary. That's the only way it makes sense financially. I agree with @Owner, though: don't insure things you can afford to write a check for. Premiums are set to make money for the insurer, on average across policies.

*Very* old principle, I learned that one from my grandparents, who learned it from their parents. Never insure something which you can afford to pay for. (This should also factor into your size of deductible.)

I haven't gotten a quote from Tesla on the cost of 19" rims, but unless they are exorbitantly expensive, I cannot believe that the tire insurance is worth it.

*Very* old principle, I learned that one from my grandparents, who learned it from their parents. Never insure something which you can afford to pay for.

Like that principle. however I have violated it, went ahead and bought the $900 tire and rim insurance for my sig performance vehicle with 21" wheels. Bought for same reason that was a satisfied AAA cusomer on other vehicles for many years. If needed emergency road service had toll free number to call, with responsive service and no worrry about payment at time of tow service, especially if my wife driving alone. Probably cost of annual membership fees broke even with towing fees and flat tires repair charges. Expect same here over 4 years. But getting some peace of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever buy insurance product and then find out had not read fine print? I should know better. Turns out that this insurance program provided by third party insurance company apparently requires customer to pay for the tire and/or rim repairs at time of service and then submit for reimbursement. If I had known probably would not have paid the $900. But again, in four years probably will spend that much if not more for these repairs on 21" performance tires and rims.