Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Questions for a 2021 Model S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's time to replace my tires, and I'm having trouble figuring out what to buy. The sticker on the inside driver door says Front is 255/45R19 and Rear is 285/40R19. All 4 are Pirellis and wore after 25k miles.

When I go to Costco website and punch in the model number, it's telling me that the 19" Front and Rear are 245/45R19, which doesn't match the sticker on the door.

When I went to America's Tire (also Discount Tire, depending where you live) they told me that they can get all 4 Pirellis to match, but they also have Continentals but only for the front, and they don't have a matching pair of Continentals for the back anywhere in their system. They also said the Pirellis don't come with any kind of warranty so I'd need aftermarket coverage, even though when I went to the Tesla Service Center they told me to go to America's Tire because they'd give me a warranty :rolleyes:

I'm not particularly a Tire Connoisseur, I just want something that works and will last me longer than 25k miles. I don't go to the track, I just drive around freeways and local streets.

Should I be worried about matching the size exactly? Should I just go with the Pirellis with aftermarket coverage?

Costco is wrong. In addition to your doorjamb being correct our mutual Tesla S owner's manual lists 255/45/R19 and 285/40/R19 as the proper sizes. Match the correct sizes or you may get errors and odometer issues. I would only run all of one type of tire make/model for the car and not mix and match manufacturers or even differing tires within a brand.

Costco is wrong. In addition to your doorjamb being correct our mutual Tesla S owner's manual lists 255/45/R19 and 285/40/R19 as the proper sizes. Match the correct sizes or you may get errors and odometer issues. I would only run all of one type of tire make/model for the car and not mix and match manufacturers or even differing tires within a brand.
Good to know, I got confusing results from the Costco site as well.

Reactions: Beandoc
I'm not particularly a Tire Connoisseur, I just want something that works and will last me longer than 25k miles. I don't go to the track, I just drive around freeways and local streets.
I think finding any tires that will last more than 25k miles. You have a big heavy car, with almost 700HP and mountains of instant torque available from a stop. Add in high speeds and abrasive roads to the mix and you have a recipe for a tire-destroying car. If I get 25k miles out of my tires, I'll be ecstatic, to put it mildly.

I think Pirelli just came out with new tires for the Mercedes EVs that might be worth looking into. Might be better than the original Contis.

i have a 2021 model 3 long range and already have 49,200 miles on it. I just now started thinking to change the tires. How do i know what the treadlife on these stock tires is? i see some michelin tires have a 60k tread life

You are doing great with your tires on the 3. They are a lot easier on them. My M3 LR with boost's tires still look new at 10k miles. On my S there were already looking worn.