Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some California lawmakers nitpicking on using Autopilot name: California’s proposed rules for driverless vehicles take aim at Tesla

Expect atleast two articles on this on Seeking Alphalpha early Monday morning right before market open.
Interesting how the states biggest newspaper (LA Times) and a not insignificant portion of the political class wants to destroy the states largest manufacturing entrepreneur. Pay per click twitterists aren't the only paid hacks working against Tesla. Do we have a thread to track the lobbyists and funders attacking Tesla? Would be interesting to see if public open source can match up with hidden money and paid hacks.

Interesting how the states biggest newspaper (LA Times) and a not insignificant portion of the political class wants to destroy the states largest manufacturing entrepreneur. Pay per click twitterists aren't the only paid hacks working against Tesla. Do we have a thread to track the lobbyists and funders attacking Tesla? Would be interesting to see if public open source can match up with hidden money and paid hacks.
Like an editable database with links? A wikipost?
Some California lawmakers nitpicking on using Autopilot name: California’s proposed rules for driverless vehicles take aim at Tesla
I think that anybody questioning the name "autopilot" isn't going out on a limb with that questioning. Some name sanity might come of this if Tesla can suggest something new before the politicians start naming things (uhoh). But this is absolutely nothing for SA to get all in a tizzy about.

Looking at the Model S tracker spreadsheet, it looks like the majority made in the last 10 days were delivered to the West coast. However, there were some made during that time-frame destined for Europe(particularly the last 5-7 days). The last 'production complete' date that I see for delivery to CA by end of quarter was 9/25. I assume many of the cars that got built since Monday were not delivered this quarter. So what is that ...maybe 1500 or so built since Monday that can't be added to the Q3 tally?
I may very well be wrong to be so optimistic. But I want to remind everybody that in Q4 of last year they produced 14,047 and delivered 17,478. So if they were smart with logistics they can deliver more than produced when there are in transits from the previous quarter.

What do our resident VIN trackers have to say, are there enough data points to indicate volume?

There is an additional significance to this project, as it is awarded under the 2013 order by the state Public Utilities Commission to install 1,325MW of Energy Storage across three California Utilities: Southern California Edison, Pacific Gas and Electric and San Diego Gas & Electric by 2020. Note that this project fulfills only 1.5% of this mandate. Here is the slide from my Battery Energy Storage presentation that I did for the company I am working for back in March of this year with the summary of the CPUC Energy Storage Mandate. Note that all procurement targets are in MW, NOT MWh.

EDIT: scratch 6%, this Project actually represents only 1.5% of the Mandate.

View attachment 194584

My apologies for off topic, but there is a major development in the California's distributed energy storage marketplace.

First, as posted above, Tesla's 20MW / 80MWh project at Southern California Edison Mira Loma substation was awarded under the 2013 order by the state Public Utilities Commission to install 1,325 MWof Energy Storage across three California Utilities. This Mira Loma substation project represented 1.5% of the Mandate. On September 26 bill AB 2868 signed by California governor Brown added another 500MW of distirbuted energy storage to the Mandate, increasing the total by almost 38%. So Tesla's massive installation at the Mira Loma substation now represents a tiny 1.1% portion of the Mandate. Assuming the 1:4 power to energy ratio similar to the Mira Loma substation project, the Mandate would require installation of 7.3 GWh of energy storage.

Additionally, California Self Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) got a $249 million boost in funding (75% of total funding is reserved for energy storage).

Last edited:
Like an editable database with links? A wikipost?

I think that anybody questioning the name "autopilot" isn't going out on a limb with that questioning. Some name sanity might come of this if Tesla can suggest something new before the politicians start naming things (uhoh). But this is absolutely nothing for SA to get all in a tizzy about.

Instead of "autopilot"; "copilot" might deliver a better labeling of this new technology. The human driver is the responsible party. If this driver wants to enlist the services of the copilot, they are STILL the responsible party. No turning over responsibility to the vehicle and its computerized "drivers". Way too early for that.

Or you know. Autopilot is fine, since its exactly the same word the aviation industry uses to describe a very similar functionality that doesn't reduce the pilot's liability to maintain control of his vehicle...

Love the head shaving wagering. I'm not predicting any more tightly than the 23-32k range I think is possible, and my guess is we land in the 26-28k range.

That's a lot more than I thought would sign up, I figured people would want to hang onto them for the fuel savings but I guess that's moot if you can't pass DEQ.

That is only the 2.0 TDI too! VW is also reimbursing their dealerships since they can't sell the cars they have (new and CPO):

Volkswagen agrees to $1.2B settlement with dealers

"Attorneys representing consumers said Friday that less than 1% of the consumers included in the settlement had opted out before a September deadline. Owners of the affected cars will get buybacks or a payment and a free repair. If VW can't come up with a fix, vehicle owners will be given a second chance to opt out.

For their part, dealers have been prohibited from selling the affected diesel vehicles until that fix is ready. Now, they'll get payments for their financial injury — with 50% upfront after a federal judge approves the settlement and the rest in equal installments over 18 months, according to the court filing.

Volkswagen also agreed to buy back the affected diesel cars still owned by dealers at the same terms consumers are receiving."

Just realized the previous post was a little older. Here, they say less than 1% have opted out!

Or you know. Autopilot is fine, since its exactly the same word the aviation industry uses to describe a very similar functionality that doesn't reduce the pilot's liability to maintain control of his vehicle...
Excellent, except for the huge number of drivers who aren't pilots, and don't know that; in my mind, a thorough education campaign by Tesla to all the drivers describing what autopilot means to pilots would be very pertinent and fix this issue, but it would need to be repeated for every new driver of every Tesla (essentially anybody in the world) until it was no longer just autopilot (i.e., had full autonomy), so would be an education cost. I'm not an English major, so I would do geek things like look in pilot training material for definitions of autopilot and see if there's words in there they could use to easily describe it, either primarily, or in this education campaign. Better to pick a word that makes sense to all the non-pilots in my opinion, but Tesla can do what it wants.

The education campaign would cost money but save money, and instead the rewording would cost less money and save about the same amount of money if not more.

Wow, this whole getting rid of RVG for leases may have a pretty decent impact for GAAP earnings. Since the RVG program ended in time for Q3, they can now recognize the full value of the lease proceeds right away for GAAP purposes, but it only applies to 'direct leases' and not partner leases. Partner leases are treated as non-GAAP revenue. The lease promo last month for the 60, and Model X's having the hummer tax loophole for business leases, combined with a 3rd qtr with a lot of X's being delivered sounds really good to me. Then on Sept 7, Tesla announced they secured $300m from Mr Big Bank specifically for its direct leasing program (basically for the 2 year S60 promo). I wonder what the proportion of direct vs. nondirect leases were, that would seem to matter a lot.

On another note, were we given any clues since the Q2 call as to the proportion of Model 3 CapEx spend between Q3 and Q4? Anyone think they maybe had a gameplan change to shift even more M3 CapEx spend to Q4?

In the Q2 call, when asked if there's still any chance of profitability in Q4, Elon said minus the M3 CapEx in Q4, they would be. He actually interrupted himself in that sentence to say actually for both Q3 and Q4, we would be profitable minus M3 CapEx. And is that GAAP or non-GAAP.. hrm.

Last edited:
The comparison to the 2013 "squeeze" really scares me :) I think we should remember that Tesla even surprised themselves in that quarter. If I remember correctly, in the Elon Musk autobiography Vance mentions how Tesla was having a really hard time converting Model S pre-orders to sales. Musk basically called for all hands on deck to help convert those preorders. He also had a verbal agreement with Google that they would be acquired if it came to that. As we all know they had huge success converting those orders in that quarter and turned a profit and the rest is history.

This time it's very very different. Musk is really trying to play the markets this time with that first email and now the second one. Hopefully they crush deliveries but in addition to that hopefully Musk has a plan for continued good news such as TE, Model 3 reveal part 2, AP 2.0, etc.

Excellent, except for the huge number of drivers who aren't pilots, and don't know that; in my mind, a thorough education campaign by Tesla to all the drivers describing what autopilot means to pilots would be very pertinent and fix this issue, but it would need to be repeated for every new driver of every Tesla (essentially anybody in the world) until it was no longer just autopilot (i.e., had full autonomy), so would be an education cost. I'm not an English major, so I would do geek things like look in pilot training material for definitions of autopilot and see if there's words in there they could use to easily describe it, either primarily, or in this education campaign. Better to pick a word that makes sense to all the non-pilots in my opinion, but Tesla can do what it wants.

The education campaign would cost money but save money, and instead the rewording would cost less money and save about the same amount of money if not more.
I am sorry this is not directed at you as if you were "responsible", but I have seen a similar argument pop up a few times now and it always frustrates me. I am pretty sure that the people who know the word autopilot are also aware that there are still pilots in the cockpit. Or do they think those guys in the white shirt only go in there to flip on auto pilot and then kick back and play PlayStation?

Autopilot has been used in aviation and marine transport for DECADES and the word is part of pop culture. Anyone who ever boarded a plane is aware that pilots take over when needed - that's why they are there. There have been numerous blockbusters like Denzel Washington's Flight, Tom Hanks' Sully and comedies like Airplane, all showing what autopilot is and isn't in a dramatic or funny way.

Last edited:
Anyone think Elon & YCombinator's Open.ai is putting Tesla on the fast track to conquor fully autonomous driving? Seems like open.ai has the best AI talent.

I think they are unrelated, or, better: OpenAI is indipendent and serves a bigger purpose than Level 4 AP. I think Tesla gets to work on that alone (of course, if OpenaAI folks develop something really cool, EM will be the first to know).

Status
Not open for further replies.