Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're joking, right? And speaking of memories, you should then remember that Tesla has had problems with the FWD for more than 4 years, and it's been the cause of delays and money sinks. Today was a big day as they seemd to have solved a 4 year old problem, or at least part of it. I know Tesla is all about engineering but evidently they also run into massive problems that need solving, and they always do, that's why I'm an investor. Now, let's be happy on a day like this.

You must be from pr/marketing.
What they sent was a mere software symptom fix which will not cure a hardware challenge.

What they sent was a mere software symptom fix which will not cure a hardware challenge.

Still, it's a step in the right direction. Tesla has been absolutely silent the past two weeks or heck even more, in regards with MX. At least today we saw that they made progress with one of the biggest issues with the MX. I can't believe I'm actually arguing this point with fellow TMC members. I guess it just shows how beaten down in spirit everyone is. And that's all she wrote.

yeah, if there were problems for four years (that's too long) they were obviously not software only problems. What people are worried about (I am not) is manufacturing issues (tolerances, quality checks) and durability/warranty. Aluminum I think is also more prone to deviations with time.

Except you don't know which issues are software ones and which ones are hardware ones. Plus, you don't know when certain hardware fixes made it into the production lines. For all we know, all the current production has the right hardware and the ramp is proceeding with the ramp rate of the new hardware parts availability. So instead of a 6 month ramp of the Model S, and instead of the 3 month hope for the ramp of the Model X, we get a 5 month ramp.

What we didn't count on before all of this was the Model S running at such a clip. That means the Model X production wasn't necessary to achieve these volumes and that's huge for the business. Now Model X is additive to the original projections that Model S + X was necessary to achieve this kind of volume.

Q4 gross margin over 22%
Q1 guidance >15k
2016 guidance 80k
Model X ramp "no critical unresolved design issues"

If we get all of those the stock should be above 170 just on a reactionary bounce. Should be a good chance. Anything less and there will be big questions.

Last edited:
Quality is not an issue. Model S was able to create ridiculous buzz with less-than-stellar QC. Model X, from owners themselves in this forum, is leaps and bounds above that. It's a repeated bear argument that has reared its head now that a new model is out and about. These challenges are not new for Tesla, and they have shown time and again that engineering and quality challenges are going to be overcome.

I think what members will also need to keep in mind is that overcoming a manufacturing challenge such as the Model X will give Tesla additional experience and know-how when they start manufacturing the decidedly less-complex Model 3 in two year's time.

My prediction is that by the end of the year, Tesla will be cranking out close to 1k Model X and 1k Model S per week. This will put niche luxury auto-makers in an absolute world of hurt (Jaguar, Land Rover, Porsche, Volvo, etc.) With Model 3 out for the world to see, Tesla Energy bringing in profits, and the Model X and S continuing their dominance, Tesla will be a tour-de-force money making company by the end of the year.

Except you don't know which issues are software ones and which ones are hardware ones. Plus, you don't know when certain hardware fixes made it into the production lines. For all we know, all the current production has the right hardware and the ramp is proceeding with the ramp rate of the new hardware parts availability. So instead of a 6 month ramp of the Model S, and instead of the 3 month hope for the ramp of the Model X, we get a 5 month ramp.

What we didn't count on before all of this was the Model S running at such a clip. That means the Model X production wasn't necessary to achieve these volumes and that's huge for the business. Now Model X is additive to the original projections that Model S + X was necessary to achieve this kind of volume.

Yeah, but the previous poster made it sound like the fog has cleared because of the OTA update and it hasn't. It is cool stuff is improving. But IF the doors turn out to be a big challenge it is clearly not because they don't know how to program the sensors.

Q4 gross margin over 22%
Q1 guidance >15k
2016 guidance 80k
Reiterate what has been said about Model X ramp

If we get all of those the stock should be above 170 just on a reactionary bounce. Should be a good chance. Anything less and there will be big questions.

I don't know if Q4 gross margins are that important, not if they break it down into S and X. Why do you think it could be lower than 22%? Because of discount sales of S? As you know, they shipped few X in Q4.

The other points expect Q1 guidance are heavily dependent on X production which is interesting.
I think they will guide positively but may not word it in a convincing way in Q/A.

Last edited:
I don't know if Q4 gross margins are that important, not if they break it down into S and X. Why do you think it could be lower than 22%? Because of discount sales of S? As you know, they shipped few X in Q4.

They've mentioned disappointing GMs, I am wondering if they are talking about what we already know, or something worse than expected. If it is worse than expected, the narrative on the street will be back to - more cars sold = more losses. A steady GM will indicate demand can sustain 17k+ model S a quarter which is positive.

Q4 gross margin over 22%
Q1 guidance >15k
2016 guidance 80k
Model X ramp "no critical unresolved design issues"

thanks Jesse.

CapEx: I expect them to say 2016 CapEx is far less than 2015. This was from prior guidance

FCF: Won't surprise me if they say Q2. But really need them to say on track for FCF in Q1
My Rationale: They're producing Cars at solid pace overall. Sure MX was slower than expected but more MS as offset

Come to think about it......I am out of here for good. Never to return. Wishing you well over the next 5 years. Sayonara comrades. CALGARYARSENAL IS DONE. Booyah!

Stop teasing me.

They've mentioned disappointing GMs, I am wondering if they are talking about what we already know, or something worse than expected. If it is worse than expected, the narrative on the street will be back to - more cars sold = more losses. A steady GM will indicate demand can sustain 17k+ model S a quarter which is positive.

From the quote that I believe Elon gave regarding GM, it was unclear if he meant that GM is lower than they know they can be or expected to be at this point, or if GM had dropped from where it was previously. A short will of course assume the worst case at all times (and make tons of **** up like the above linked article).

Where did all the shorties go this morning? Nothing like a little green to quiet them down. I'm feeling more confident we are headed up after tomorrow.

This is something that everyone is potentially overlooking. Low commodity prices are going to enable Tesla to hit that $35k sweet spot quicker than they would've otherwise been able to achieve.

That's right. And we also need to keep in mind that the price of oil has huge influence over all commodities. So we should not get too fixated on any price level. If oil stays low, the commodity costs to Tesla will stay low. If oil goes up, then commodity costs go up. So the net impact of low oil prices need not be negative. Indeed, as long as Tesla has sufficiently strong demand, low oil prices will tend to be a net positive for Tesla. So when people remark that gasoline is getting so cheap, a fitting response is "Yes, and batteries are getting so cheap too." Of couse the beauty of a cheaper battery is that it offsets the need for oil for 10 to 15 years, creating economic value long after the cheap oil was consumed.

Last edited:

yeah, but I always assumed it was company wide GM would go down because of TE and X while S would stay high. If that is the case then the market should suck it up. But yeah more ammo for the shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.