Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people think this move is Apple related? Their poor earnings release and huge drop was a little bit ago. More recent tech sector reports (Facebook, Amazon) seemed incredible.

Any concrete factors/events causing this today? Seems unusually strong even with the index down.

Why do people think this move is Apple related? Their poor earnings release and huge drop was a little bit ago. More recent tech sector reports (Facebook, Amazon) seemed incredible.

Any concrete factors/events causing this today? Seems unusually strong even with the index down.

Index is down, and the smear article that Tesla is not paying the bills in Norway is probably adding to it

Reactions: hoang51
A few pages ago someone coined DTU and JUDKW or something for the two current trading expectations of TSLA. Down Then Up, and Just Up Don't Know When. I've been in the DTU cap expecting a negative ER and subsequent stock price drop, which is why I sold half of my trading shares to free up cash at 255 the other day.

The other theory is basically no drop on Q1 ER and we stay sideways until the eventual breakout. The eventual breakout is roughly the same in both theories.

That was me doing the "coining". I wanted to put a name on the two camps so we could has hash out the better thesis. DTU is way more lucrative if you play it right. but one down day (pre ER at that) doesn't validate it.

Go vote for your 2016 thesis at the poll: "Down then Up" or "Just Up"

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Ben Kallo of Baird issued note today, maintaining Outperform and PT of $300, but cut expected GM based on the slower than expected MX ramp. He also estimated Q2 deliveries at 16.5K, impacted by MS refresh and ramp of MX. This makes 2H back loaded to 52.6K deliveries to meet the yearly 80K-90K target, which Kallo think the company is on track to achieve.

Kallo also does not believe that company needs a raise in near term due to $0.4B inflow of M3 deposits

First up, a little gloating. ;) Up-thread, while speculating on M3 pricing, I wrote a too-long post about how I arrived at a cost of $150/kWh today. (I honestly can't figure out how to link, but it's post #7460).

Given this week's comments, I still think that price is basically right. There's no way they would have been comfortable saying "lower than $190" unless they were meaningfully below $190.

Now for the on-topic part!

Tesla will have to give better clarity on battery pricing during the upcoming analyst call. There's no way an analyst is going to let them get away with asserting the below-$190 number and not following up on it.

Elon or JB will either re-assert the same vague number or they will give a more precise number. (They're not going to disown the below-$190 assertion -- legally, in fact, they would have had to disown it by now).* Either way, Elon or JB comments will create more publicity around their actual, very low battery costs.

Coupled with a GF progress report, a current price of <$190/kWh could be a huge short-term catalyst.

I don't think the market has yet to fully absorb this news. It's been too isolated in our little forum and only covered by niche media. For example, best I can tell, the WSJ never picked up the story.

The short-term catalyst could be amplified when a bullish analyst (I"m looking at you Andrea) then publishes an update based on the earnings call and arrives at a post-GF $/kWh in the $100 range.

Remember, a 30%+ cost reduction from $150 gets you very close to $100. Even a 30% reduction from $190 gets you to $133.

*Unless of course, the media reports of what Jeff Evanson said on the UBS call are terribly incorrect and Tesla didn't feel they needed to clarify. I'm actually wondering if there is a Regulation FD issue here, btw. If Evanson really said below-$190 on the UBS call, I'm not sure Tesla has properly disclosed it under FD (unless the media reports themselves satisfy their FD obligaiton).

• Informative
Reactions: Wenche
Ben Kallo of Baird issued note today, maintaining Outperform and PT of $300, but cut expected GM based on the slower than expected MX ramp. He also estimated Q2 deliveries at 16.5K, impacted by MS refresh and ramp of MX. This makes 2H back loaded to 52.6K deliveries to meet the yearly 80K-90K target, which Kallo think the company is on track to achieve.

Kallo also does not believe that company needs a raise in near term due to $0.4B inflow of M3 deposits

Thanks for posting.

Since Ben thought it useful to issue this little note a few days before the ER...

I fully expect him to issue a heavy report detailing how his projections have dramatically moved higher once tesla highlights their accelerated out-year production growth targets.

After all, his Current PT of $300 is based on some financial projections, right?

BTW, he may need to pull in a a few fellow sector analysts to help him evaluate Tesla Energy projections. Not his space. Just saying...

Surprised we have not bounced at all after hitting the bollinger bands. Has to be attributed to this note. 16.5k for Q2 would be tracking well below the 750 a week for Model X that was last stated. Dave also had some concerns over Q2 guidance.

• Informative
Reactions: FredTMC
Am I wrong about this? Will anyone else be surprised/disappointed if Q2 is only 16.5k, or is that within expectations? (would require 25k avg for Q3/Q4 to meet low end of full year guidance)
The market being both shocked and disappointed by this is the whole basis of my current trade. I think people saying it's priced in already are failing too realize how oblivious and generally incompetent the market is on things like this. It's priced in for us, but it will blindside the market, imo.

Reactions: Lessmog
The market being both shocked and disappointed by this is the whole basis of my current trade. I think people saying it's priced in already are failing too realize how oblivious and generally incompetent the market is on things like this. It's priced in for us, but it will blindside the market, imo.

So you think share price will go down as a result, and we can take advantage of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.