Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I don't think he meant issues with ordering interfering with streaming. I think all he means is by spreading out the ordering time a bit more the ordering itself will get spaced better.

Also, he probably doesn't want everyone missing the beginning of the reveal. Assuming it starts on time (lol), people would have been glued to their computers trying to push reservations through rather than watching the reveal.

Reactions: chickensevil
Columbus, Ohio had over 150+ orders by noon. Crowd was much younger and very excited about Tesla in general. Eight brave souls were out all night outside the covered area in 50+ pouring down rain. By 7:20 the line was growing every few minutes. Here's a picture from Ohio. This could really hurt anyone short Tesla!

Model 3 - Line.JPG

If the data about people in line is accurate, Tesla may have received deposits for more than 100,000 vehicles from people waiting in line, who have not seen the vehicle. Beginning to think 100,000 was far too conservative a figure. Elon's comment about being inspired by interest in the Model 3 is very interesting.

What will Elon's token gift to those in line be?

A) Free Battery storage
B) $1000 off the final purchase price.
C) A ton of Tesla merchandise.
D) An invitation to a party hosted by Elon.

Or something else altogether?

My guess is some form of gear. Proud future owners will walk around displaying the gear, talking about the Tesla they have coming and provide non stop free word of mouth advertising.

Showed up at the Rocklin, CA store at 5 am expecting one or two overnighters. There were 49 already in line and most had been there all night. At 10:15, when I entered the store, there were still 500 in line behind me. At 10:30, when I left the parking lot, there were still 500 in line. Three TV crews covered the event in the early hours (I did my part). Several Tesla Forum members were there to help, passing out coffee, water and snacks, and showing their Model Ss and Xs. An exhilarating experience.

Well......Just listening to my local NBC news feed out of Philadelphia and they did acknowledge that the model3 has gone on sale and that there has been some long lines at stores......Quick blurb...but positive media coverage none the less.

Well, I don't think he meant issues with ordering interfering with streaming. I think all he means is by spreading out the ordering time a bit more the ordering itself will get spaced better.

Exactly, plus it allows splits those who are willing to order sight unseen from those who are waiting for the reveal. So it lowers traffic both because spread out over more time, and because it splits up two distinct groups. Some couldn't or didn't want to take off work to line up today, but they are still willing to reserve prior to reveal.

Both good points that I didn't consider, although I still don't think it's the real reason for the change.

Columbus, Ohio had over 150+ orders by noon. Crowd was much younger and very excited about Tesla in general. Eight brave souls were out all night outside the covered area in 50+ pouring down rain. By 7:20 the line was growing every few minutes. Here's a picture from Ohio. This could really hurt anyone short Tesla!

View attachment 169714

Hey, I'm in that picture! :D

The overhang actually completely covered us from the rain. Though I slept in 4 hours more than the first person ahead of me (big gap between the overnight crew and the 150+ people later).

I really don't understand why they'd want to start taking orders in store before revealing the car? Any sort of end of quarter reasoning? These lines are incredible but there is still that doubt about what if the car isn't what we expect. I feel like these lines would mean so much more if they were tomorrow after the reveal.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
I really don't understand why they'd want to start taking orders in store before revealing the car? Any sort of end of quarter reasoning? These lines are incredible but there is still that doubt about what if the car isn't what we expect. I feel like these lines would mean so much more if they were tomorrow after the reveal.
These lines are powerful before reveal because news can run headlines like "lines of hundreds of people across the world eagerly putting down $1000 to reserve a car they haven't even seen"

Surprised to see the Texas Tesla galleries with numbers (in the Model 3 store line spreadsheet going around). I thought by law Tesla could not sell cars in galleries, meaning, not even take an order?

It's not an order. It's a reservation to order. Probably a gray area, but there is definitely a difference. Especially since the people reserving their spot in line don't know the specs of car they are reserving a spot in line to buy, or even what it looks like. All they know is Tesla, electric, over 200 mile range. That's really all they know with certainty. And the car is not even in production yet...

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
These lines are powerful before reveal because news can run headlines like "lines of hundreds of people across the world eagerly putting down $1000 to reserve a car they haven't even seen"

Hadn't quite thought of it like this. The other reason would be some financial reason to put it in Q1. But then, the reveal could have been last night. You are right, the "they haven't even seen" seems to be the goal.

That's definitely powerful but also a bit crazy. The problem is that tomorrow it's going to be hard to gauge how all these people respond to the Model 3 reveal. What if 20% of people are unhappy and will probably consider cancelling their reservation? 30%? 0%? It may be that more people will like it and want to reserve but they'll be doing it online and we won't be able to tell. So these lines would be even more powerful tomorrow after people have seen the product.

• Love
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
That's definitely powerful but also a bit crazy. The problem is that tomorrow it's going to be hard to gauge how all these people respond to the Model 3 reveal. What if 20% of people are unhappy and will probably consider cancelling their reservation? 30%? 0%? It may be that more people will like it and want to reserve but they'll be doing it online and we won't be able to tell. So these lines would be even more powerful tomorrow after people have seen the product.

Probably more lines tomorrow and on the weekend.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt

Yeah might have been optimal to do the reveal earlier in the week, open up reservations in-person only the next day for the media lines, then online reservations, then close the quarter. That optimizes media presence and Q1 reservations. The only reason I can think of to do it this way is if they do indeed want to announce figures for the event, or if they literally needed every possible day to prepare the car/event. The latter sounds right to me.

Reactions: justdoit
Status
Not open for further replies.