Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He said cheaper than a conventional roof plus electricity. I'm sure it's a long term home run! How many people on this forum believe that they will buy one of these roofs?

More details are necessary for investors and exactly the same details are required for potential customers, so I'm sure (a little nervously), that the required information is coming soon. The only question I have is how long this takes to move the SP up. It's encouraging that they have already built enough tiles for 4 (?) houses.

BTW specs and prices for the new powerwall are awesome!

Yes, you're right - plus electricity.

I'll buy one.

People can do their own math - go cost out a roof for your house, look at your electricity bills, etc., etc., Anyone who needs to be hand fed EVERY. SINGLE. LITTLE. DETAIL. is well....at the very least and the nicest I could come up with - lazy. And laziness is a poor excuse at this point in time of adulthood.

I'll buy one.

People can do their own math - go cost out a roof for your house, look at your electricity bills, etc., etc., Anyone who needs to be hand fed EVERY. SINGLE. LITTLE. DETAIL. is well....at the very least and the nicest I could come up with - lazy. And laziness is a poor excuse at this point in time of adulthood.

But that's what our able Tesla Energy sales associates are here for, yes? ;-)

This is all hype. Tesla is going down. Short the stock while you can before it hits zero!

I don't know why you are trolling, but the stock will not hit zero.
If there is a huge decline, there will be a buyout of the company, perhaps Google or Apple or Daimler.
There is no hype in this announcement since they didn't actually mention any numbers or how financially significant this is. It was just a show and tell of a new product.

• Funny
Reactions: CALGARYARSENAL
I see the SolarCity merger as even more pointless now as this new roof will be demanded globally where there is no SC presence and I think people will move away from panels being bolted on the roof and have these roofs put together by roofing and building contractors.

This product is revolutionary. I think it will totally transform the way houses are designed and built around the world. It is a stunning achievement by Tesla.

So a quick back of napkin pass at the economics/value proposition over 10years:

Powerwall 2.0: $5,500.00 Payment: $48/mo
Solar Roof: $40,000.00 Payment $400/mo
Utility savings: (-$250/mo - my bill with electric car)
State/federal discounts: -30% Federal of $45,500 = $13,650

Get, good looking replacement/new roof and battery backup for $45,500 - $13,650 federal tax credit = $31,850 all day.

This would be a monthly payment of $308.00, offset by reduced utility bill of $250.00, or all in for $58.00 (significantly less than most pay for cable).

Now bundle a Model III in this package @ ASP of $42,000....what do you get?

Replacement roof, no utility bills, no car fuel bills, backup power supply, electric car w/autonomous driving for $709 - $250 utility costs $150/mo auto fuel or all in for $309.00 for 10 years....then no more payment.

(That's without the $7,500 federal tax credit for electric car and any state tax credits for renewable energy or electric cars.....likely, depending on you geography, timing and changes in incentives, you could easily get this to 0-$200).

Last edited:
If there is a huge decline, there will be a buyout of the company, perhaps Google or Apple or Daimler.
There is no hype in this announcement since they didn't actually mention any numbers or how financially significant this is. It was just a show and tell of a new product.
Keep reading my friend........nobody is more bullish than Arsenal!

-

Powerwall 2.0 website, where you can 'order' one, says that installations start in January 2017. That's pretty specific.

I'll buy one.

You can do better than that. The market, Krugerrand, the market. You know, the people who think Tesla loses money on every car.

Plus shipping dates and production levels.

Reactions: TMSE
Your price delta needs to be at least $0.112 between off and on peak rates just to break even with this new power wall.

Lets break that down with some math.

14kWh Powerwall

If I fully charge it in offpeak and discharge in onpeak, I can shift 14kWh of usage per day.
Powerwall is guaranteed for 10 years, or 3652 days.

3652 * 14 = 51,128 kWh shifted.

My power bill here in Ontario has a 9.3c/kWh delta on the onpeak (18c/kWh) to offpeak (8.7c/kWh) charge

51,128 * CAD$0.093 = CAD$4754.90

That's a far cry from covering the CAD$7800 powerwall (nevermind the CAD$1350 installation).

Flipping the numbers around:

CAD$9150 / 51,128 = CAD$0.179

I would need the off-peak to on-peak rate delta to be $0.179/kWh to justify a powerwall for the purpose of usage shifting alone.

Using the US Pricing for the Americans out there:

USD$6500 / 51,128 = USD$0.127/kWh off-to-on peak pricing delta to justify.

Tesla Powerwall 2 is a game changer in home energy storage: 14 kWh w/ inverter for $5,500
<snip>
At $5,500 including a ‘Tesla inverter’, it could easily end up being a game changer in the industry. Most residential systems today are offered for a similar price, but either have about half the energy capacity or they don’t have an integrated inverter.
<snip>
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that he expects to sell more Powerwalls than cars and at the price point, he could very well be right. Tesla expects that the first Powerwall 2 units will start shipping in December with installations beginning January 2017.

Of course, Tesla unveiled the new Powerwall 2 with its new solar roof solutions developed with SolarCity. Tesla is really pushing the Powerwall to be combined with solar energy, whether it’d be a solar roof if you need your roof to be replaced soon or with solar panels installed on the roof. Though Tesla’s solar roof will come later. The first installations are expected for summer 2017.
<snip>

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Lets break that down with some math.

14kWh Powerwall

If I fully charge it in offpeak and discharge in onpeak, I can shift 14kWh of usage per day.
Powerwall is guaranteed for 10 years, or 3652 days.

3652 * 14 = 51,128 kWh shifted.

My power bill here in Ontario has a 9.3c/kWh delta on the onpeak (18c/kWh) to offpeak (8.7c/kWh) charge

51,128 * CAD$0.093 = CAD$4754.90

That's a far cry from covering the CAD$7800 powerwall (nevermind the CAD$1350 installation).

Flipping the numbers around:

CAD$9150 / 51,128 = CAD$0.179

I would need the off-peak to on-peak rate delta to be $0.179/kWh to justify a powerwall for the purpose of usage shifting alone.

I think people are too obsessed with the 'economic sense', there are lot of guys (like me) who simply want to be off the grid, especially when the solarpanels look like a luxury roof ^^

You can do better than that. The market, Krugerrand, the market. You know, the people who think Tesla loses money on every car.

Plus shipping dates and production levels.

I'm not allowed to say what I really want to say on this forum about 'The Market'. I'm quite sure, though, that no matter how good the details, the pricing, or the fine print, 'The Market' will still not get it. There will still be some flaw in it all. A slew of 'competition' just around the next corner. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

It's a home run, all day long, every day no matter whose head the ball just flew over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.