Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family only is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year.

Oops. Good bye Uber and Lyft.

How does that work?
I know that I license software (vs. own it), but if I have a Tesla and decide to use it for Uber or Lyft, I need to turn off the self-driving feature?
How do they enforce that? How do they even know that I am using it for an Uber transaction vs. ride hailing for friends?

So if I understand the announcement correctly, there is no need for me to delay my purchase of a new S or X as they have all the hardware bells and whistles essential to enable highly desired forthcoming features. Of course, now my 9 month old 90D is now crap :-(

I'm in the same boat, purchased mine late last year, now my car is outdated technologically and visibly. Thanks Elon! All jokes aside, I love the progress. I just dislike the money I'm losing in the market with underwhelming events such as this one.

• Informative
Reactions: stealthology
But that's the thing - we have no idea how long it'll take Tesla to get to full autonomy, or even if it is possible. At this point, this is vaporware. Announcement-ware. I really, really hope Tesla can pull this off, but geez, talk about jumping off a cliff and hoping there is a net underneath...

I think Musk must secretly own SekkingAlpha

Guys, I know some of you are feeling disappointed. But the disappointment is probably due to us hyping up the event more than it should have been. We knew there was no formal invites or live stream, which meant it was going to be an incremental improvement.

Having said that, this is still pretty huge. Remember the M3 competes with the GM bolt and Nissan Leaf. There is no way that GM and Nissan or any other OEM compete with such advanced hardware and software capabilities. Also, 8 cameras plus Radar hardware capable of detecting objects in all directions is a great selling point for Model S and X.

The market may decide to sell tomorrow, but I think this incremental improvement is extremely significant. More importantly, this hardware is available on cars rolling out NOW. That means the one week downtime was effectively used to update the line for new hardware. All this points to the efficiency improvements Tesla has achieved.

Edit: We are well on our way to Master Plan Part Deux

imo everyone is freaking out about nothing. we should be FREAKING ECSTATIC about AP HW 2.0 and level 5 (LEVEL 5 ALREADY!!!!) autopilot. that's full freaking autopilot!!!! home to work without doing anything, and back!!!

to top it off tesla will go head to head with uber/lyft, imagine the possible revenues!!

lets not forget that elon said recently that the new stuff he's working on will blow peoples minds (i think he was talking about AP HW 2.0, correct?) which means he's already been testing it for months!

i'm so excited...and i just can't hide it!!!!

It remains to be seen how quickly the software can be rolled out, and how well it performs. Sorry, but if Tesla had announced this with working software at least to the 1.0 Autopilot level, people would not be as disappointed.

This "announcement" is half-baked.

The point is that they *couldn't*.

New hardware suite means the neural network that runs it all has to be recalibrated to all the new information. Tesla's done the work they can with it, but until they put it in actual customer cars and put it on the road, they can't get enough data to be confident it will be safe. This is the right play, albeit with some short term annoyance. 6-10 weeks is not that long to wait for the most advanced car ever built.

Guys, I know some of you are feeling disappointed. But the disappointment is probably due to us hyping up the event more than it should have been. We knew there was no formal invites or live stream, which meant it was going to be an incremental improvement.

careful...
@racer26 will ask you if you just crawled out from under a rock for believing that! This is about the Model 3, part 2 reveal!

The day isn't over yet. Keep hope alive for the real reveal!

How does that work?
I know that I license software (vs. own it), but if I have a Tesla and decide to use it for Uber or Lyft, I need to turn off the self-driving feature?
How do they enforce that? How do they even know that I am using it for an Uber transaction vs. ride hailing for friends?
why in gods name would you chose to drive for uber or lyft when your car could go work by itself and you get paid by tesla?

Adding the hardware has always been an important milestone. From now on, Tesla will be able to amass *much* more and better autopilot data, processed to within an inch of it's life.This data collection is what will seperate Tesla from the competition.

In early 2018, you will see Tesla have billions of miles of data, and will be in a position to roll out actual level 5 autonomy that the competition can only dream of.

I'd been wondering if Elon would directly point out that disingenuous or uninformed media articles on autonomous driving will lead to massive amounts of unnecessary deaths (think what happens each year unfounded fears delay a rollout). it's real, and he did it.

He's been actually doing this in the last few days, if you've followed his Twitter activity, responding to people's post when they raise the issue of the media's biased reporting on the dangers of autopilot v.s. its merits.

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3
Status
Not open for further replies.