Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the one positive overall theme though is that full autonomy is here WAY earlier than the industry predicted or projected....think about all those other car makers saying they will have it around 2021.....so the stock doesn't jump like we want it to, Tesla will continue to get orders and then the Model 3 next year.....they will dominate in our culture.

But that's the thing - we have no idea how long it'll take Tesla to get to full autonomy, or even if it is possible. At this point, this is vaporware. Announcement-ware. I really, really hope Tesla can pull this off, but geez, talk about jumping off a cliff and hoping there is a net underneath...

Where do we find this reveal video??

Video of how the hardware is installed in the cars? It is just new AP developments starting with the Nvidia chips.

"It will take us some time to complete the validation of the software and get regulatory approval but the important thing is that the foundation is laid" for fully autonomous driving, said Tesla CEO Elon Musk on a call with reporters.

LflPP5v.png

"Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency breaking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control."

Unfortunately, this could make for some bad headlines tomorrow...[/QUOTE]

I thought the exact same thing!

WOW. The real info is hidden in the order page. Read the new "Enhanced Autopilot" ($5k) and "Full Self-Driving Capability" ($3k)options. Particularly the part about "Tesla Network", which seems to be the self driving taxi.
So it seems that both of these are hardware upgrades? Cars don't actually come with the hardware by default? That isn't what the blog post said, so the order page is contradictory.

I'm relatively underwhelmed. I don't see the market reacting in any significantly (positive) way regarding this tomorrow. Perhaps with a little more color this could have been something. I don't think the average consumer or market maker will be moved by a few words stating "lower the financial cost of transportation for those who own a car and provide low-cost on-demand mobility for those who do not." /sigh. I hope I'm incorrect.
Not sure what your investment time frame is, but I'm in for the long term. This will continue to drive demand upwards and is a great indicator of how Tesla is years ahead of everyone else. I'd also hate to be Uber right now.

I'm a long term investor, however, as this is the short term thread, I also trade options short. This has been a let down. Edit: At least in terms of presentation.

So enhanced autopilot will be available by December 2016. That's not bad for a revolutionary product. They couldn't have had people buy this hardware and wait many months before having basic automated safety features. Waiting 2 months isn't bad. Obviously, they had to convert the manufacturing line to install the hardware and needed to announce this before the software would be fully ready. This is huge!

Reactions: MitchJi and TMSE
Guys, I know some of you are feeling disappointed. But the disappointment is probably due to us hyping up the event more than it should have been. We knew there was no formal invites or live stream, which meant it was going to be an incremental improvement.

Having said that, this is still pretty huge. Remember the M3 competes with the GM bolt and Nissan Leaf. There is no way that GM and Nissan or any other OEM compete with such advanced hardware and software capabilities. Also, 8 cameras plus Radar hardware capable of detecting objects in all directions is a great selling point for Model S and X.

The market may decide to sell tomorrow, but I think this incremental improvement is extremely significant. More importantly, this hardware is available on cars rolling out NOW. That means the one week downtime was effectively used to update the line for new hardware. All this points to the efficiency improvements Tesla has achieved.

Edit: We are well on our way to Master Plan Part Deux

It basically skipped the Autopilot 2.0 level 4 version hardware suite that it was planning and jumped to 360 camera coverage for level 5 autonomy.

TESLA TESLA MODEL 3

Once again our readers guessed it right (well 40% of you). You said that today’s announcement would be about Autopilot 2.0/Tesla Vision and you were right. Though Tesla seems to be moving away from the name ‘Autopilot’, the company announced tonight its second generation autonomous driving hardware and confirmed that it is in all vehicle off the assembly line right now.

CEO Elon Musk said that will enable full level 5 autonomy.

Tesla significantly changed its hardware suite from what it was previouslyo working on – with now fewer radar antennas and instead, a focus on cameras to take advantage of its new ‘Tesla Vision’ product.

It basically skipped the Autopilot 2.0 level 4 version hardware suite that it was planning and jumped to 360 camera coverage for level 5 autonomy.

The picture above is what the system can see now with the new sensor and hardware suite:
[/B]

• 8 cameras – 3 front-facing
    • better ultrasonic
    • 40x more powerful onboard computer – Nvidia GPU Titan
Musk highlighted the integration of the new sensors saying that you can barely see the difference between the old and new suite despite having 7 more cameras.

We are currently in a press conference call with Tesla CEO Elon Musk who is now taking questions about the announcement. We will be sharing what we learn from the call as soon as possible. Stay tuned and keep refreshing the post.

Here’s Tesla’s full blog post about the announcement:

All Tesla Vehicles Being Produced Now Have Full Self-Driving Hardware

Self-driving vehicles will play a crucial role in improving transportation safety and accelerating the world’s transition to a sustainable future. Full autonomy will enable a Tesla to be substantially safer than a human driver, lower the financial cost of transportation for those who own a car and provide low-cost on-demand mobility for those who do not.

We are excited to announce that, as of today, all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory – including Model 3 – will have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. Eight surround cameras provide 360 degree visibility around the car at up to 250 meters of range. Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors complement this vision, allowing for detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system. A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides
additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength, capable of seeing through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead.

To make sense of all of this data, a new onboard computer with more than 40 times the computing power of the previous generation runs the new Tesla-developed neural net for vision, sonar and radar processing software. Together, this system provides a view of the world that a driver alone cannot access, seeing in every direction simultaneously and on wavelengths that go far beyond the human senses.

Model S and Model X vehicles with this new hardware are already in production, and customers can purchase one today: https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the system using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and convenience. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency breaking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over-the-air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features. As always, our over-the-air software updates will keep customers at the forefront of technology and continue to make every Tesla, including those equipped with first-generation Autopilot and earlier cars, more capable over time.

So...any guess on the new Adam Jonas price target? I think that information about the Tesla Network should be very meaningful to him. I imagine that he'll go to $400+ again, but maybe he wait until after earnings and the merger vote.

The market didn't believe him last time, but this time they probably will now that there is evidence - I expect his next price target update to have a similar impact to his post-gigafactory announcement price target update, when I think the stock had its biggest ever single day price move (at least, I made far more money that day than any other).

• Love
Reactions: TrendTrader007
Status
Not open for further replies.