Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes me so glad. Elon's true goal with Tesla is finally starting to come to fruition...putting real pressure on other automakers to build compelling EVs.

Not to be a naysayer, but it would make me glad if I believed companies were actually more committed to anything but tearing down Tesla and building distraction / compliance cars sold at a loss (unsustainably) with no intent to make them in volumes over a few tens of thousands (at the most). Without investment, retooling, large-scale battery factory construction and hiring massive amounts of software expertise in-house, I doubt we will see real competition for quite some time. I want real competition, but this is not it.

Nice. At this point, I just want the cheapest 200 mile EV. So who's it going to be? Is it you Tesla? Nissan? or GM? Lowest bidder wins!
I have a family to worry about, for me the Model S is a huge interest not because it is EV only, but because it is the perfect package. Safety, performance and low maintenance!

I am not going to put my kids into a death trap like the Pinto Pinto Madness | Mother Jones

So, it has to be a very safe 200 mile EV with a very low maintenance!

The article was based largely on a new interview with Bloomberg - you can find the audio for that on the Bloomberg website. It is about 20 minutes long and mostly about SpaceX. It sounded as though it was conducted at the SpaceX headquarters.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/musk...llites-in-seattle-lvsBnQOPSom_carUuh_kHA.html

Boeing is doing new electric battery satellites. Also, SpaceX is teaming up with Boeing and opened a facility in Seattle. SpaceX knows how to get batteries. That works for me.

I saw this article about the Auto Show. I don't know if I trust the source to date the photo correctly.

Automakers Should Be Terrified Of One Company — And It's Not Tesla - Yahoo Finance

Nice. At this point, I just want the cheapest 200 mile EV. So who's it going to be? Is it you Tesla? Nissan? or GM? Lowest bidder wins!

See, I forked for a 90k car, so if I downgrade to a Model 3 (very likely) or another cheaper EV it would be to whichever one made the most compelling and nice looking EV. But to each his own, and 3 choices are better than none :D

I would assume by then we will get a BMW equivalent as well. So we should have at least 4 choices of a 200 mile "cheap" EV come 2017 which makes me very excited!

- - - Updated - - -

Not to be a naysayer, but it would make me glad if I believed companies were actually more committed to anything but tearing down Tesla and building distraction / compliance cars sold at a loss (unsustainably) with no intent to make them in volumes over a few tens of thousands (at the most). Without investment, retooling, large-scale battery factory construction and hiring massive amounts of software expertise in-house, I doubt we will see real competition for quite some time. I want real competition, but this is not it.

Well see, this is why I actually would consider Nissan's claim to hold some merit since they have built a number of battery factories already. Their intention was to support something like 200k Nissan Leaf a year (I think, I can't quite remember the number but it was more than a couple thousand). I think the issue with the Leaf sales not stretching their production capacity is that while it is decent for the job it has been given (a short range commuter car) it isn't compelling enough to warrant purchase outside that niche. Most people want to use their car for multiple uses, not just one... so I think that is hurting their sales. 200 miles is a game changer in every fashion... Even if you can't roadtrip the car very easily (although that is increasingly easier to do) you should be able to use it for all local use which is likely to be 90% of your driving needs.

Point is, Nissan has some capacity to grow already (if they make their batteries more dense their battery production should increase) and are probably one of the few who could pump out 100k or more of a 200 mile EV in year one.

I believe that Nissan is sincere in its intentions, at least as long as Carlos Ghosn is in charge. Nissan's investment in the LEAF and battery manufacturing has been significant.

Of GM's intentions, I am less sure.

I believe that Nissan is sincere in its intentions, at least as long as Carlos Ghosn is in charge. Nissan's investment in the LEAF and battery manufacturing has been significant.

Of GM's intentions, I am less sure.

I mean, I get you guys. But Ghosn would have to literally bet the company on EV's to legitimately compete. He has to build a supercharger network competitor or something that provides for long-range travel, switch battery tech to something with better energy-to-weight characteristics, convince dealers not to downsell them vs. cheap ICE cars, and begin to phase out the gas-burning product line. Fire a lot of people, hire the right engineers, build something from scratch, make the car able to be sold profitably.

Any of these automakers can build an EV. But they can't build a no-fun "compromises car" and sell it at a loss to grow the EV segment successfully.

I'm just tired of the hyperbole. Show me your Gigafactory, show me your multibillion investment in EV production, and show me you can build an EV with gross margins that work. Until then, competition is dead on arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.