Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll wait until we can see the whole interview. Who interviewed Elon? Were these comments cut
from multiple interviews from the past year? This article reads as though the author either didn't understand what Elon said, or is intentionally picking and choosing very select portions of whatever Elon said.

Notice how he mentioned $10 billion in revenue, implying Elon said 100,000 (Model S/Model X) annually by 2017, before the Model 3 is released.

1. That interview couldn't have been conducted today because he's in Detroit, preparing for a much more important speech. The last several days Elon has been tied up with SpaceX's rocket launch and analyzing Falcon 9 data. In his recent Reddit AMA, he specifically did not want to speak about Tesla, only answered one question about Gen 3. I find it odd that an author who writes about Mars colonization would ask detailed questions about Tesla production numbers and demand instead of focusing on Mars and spaceX. In a time when Elon and Tesla has stayed unusually quiet on Tesla, yet would answer questions on demand and China, especially with quarter reports being weeks away? Also shouldn't the individual focus on SpaceX I see very little information on Mars colonization? Seems like an article that cherry picked data from old quotes spoken by Elon, then the author attached a picture of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launch to make the appearance of a newly conducted interview. From recollection, the business insider has been known to publish very negative articles of Tesla in the past, which shows lack of depth and understanding of the company, and this is no different.

2. The writer does not even mention which day the individual conducted the interview.

3. 100,000 Model S/X annual by 2017 implies strong demand.

One thing I should point out is that 100k demand by 2017 looks like he's backtracking from what he said during q4. They are anticipating 100k rate of production at the end of 2015. Many here anticipated 150k units in 2017. Before you call me fudster, what am I missing?

One thing I should point out is that 100k demand by 2017 looks like he's backtracking from what he said during q4. They are anticipating 100k rate of production at the end of 2015. Many here anticipated 150k units in 2017. Before you call me fudster, what am I missing?

The article is vague and poorly written. "By 2017" was my take, and could mean in 2015 or in 2016. The article only says 100k units. I'm guessing the 100k figure doesn't include the Model 3.

Hmmm,

My 8 ball indicator has a weird reaction today. Looks like there will be some kind of reveal.

It's weird because the market swung 300 points. It's not exclusive to Tesla. Honestly I highly doubt there will be any reveal today. It's an industry conference and year end earnings are going to be out soon. Unless Elon wants to urge the auto industry to push even more and say something to the effect of : so and so said this isn't compelling and we wouldn't sell enough cars and be profitable. Last year we had the biggest achievements ... ASP, Deliveries, top performing model, autopilot, etc. I can see that.

Yes I re-read the article and couldn't find dates. Not sure why a few people mentioned dates here. Not a concern if no date is mentioned.

I'm not sure if he author even interviewed Elon, it appears the writer paraphrased or quoted Elon based on his tweets of late and AMA Reddit interview in which Elon stated Mars colonization plans to be reveal at the end of the year. The individual may have used some older sources for this article as well. I've noticed the trend in journalism lately has been treading towards using tweeter as a resource. Anyone's words can be misquoted and taken out of context, I assume most veteran Tesla investors are aware of QR nearing, which would indicate there will be more articles such as this published. I am not sure the author intentionally or unintentionally caused some of the worries flying around this forum about China. I assume unintentional, otherwise the writer would have more to comment and FUD to spill. Be careful what you ready folks, always make sure there's a date on the interview as quotes are a primary source and an important part of journalism.

From reddit, seems like they have a NAIAS press page, it was printed on swag available at their booth.

Press Kit: NAIAS 2015 | Tesla Motors | Tesla Motors

This is what Tesla is giving out at their Detroit booth today. : teslamotors

It's a long shot, but I sent an email to ownership asking for either this or something similar to be made available as an item on their store. Cause that would be awesome! It just isn't the same as walking around with a regular battery cell, having Tesla's name on it makes it way cooler!

I'm invested in Nissan and had high hopes but I'm a bit disappointed that the LEAF hasn't progressed more and that they didn't build something like their ESFlow concept car. Nissan should have a better EV on the road by now.

Yeah, every time I see them at a car show with that NISMO Leaf concept I'm like "you guys know this would sell, right?" Look at how well the FR-S is doing. People want a tiny roadster car which is fun to drive and reasonably priced, if a bit underpowered. Which sounds like the NISMO Leaf to me. ESFlow, same deal. And why haven't they made that Infiniti EV yet? C'mon guys.

I'm with chickensevil though, I feel like he's probly bashing his head against a lot of complacency in his organization, which is why they delayed the Infiniti. Also because putting a Leaf drivetrain in an expensive car wouldn't have worked (see: ELR).

Any word on a livestream of this afternoon's event?

Sadly, no... not that I can find. The closest is that it seems that True Car is going to be doing a livestream (through livestream) of their CEO's presentation/speech. InsideEVs says they will be providing coverage... but in what capacity is unknown. If anyone else has any hits on this event please let us know... my Googling skills seems to have resulted in nothing useful.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news, it appears that Nissan will have an answer to the Bolt and Model 3:

Nissan CEO Ghosn: Chevrolet Bolt - Nissan Has Competing, Long-Range Electric Car In Development

“Japanese automaker Nissan plans to introduce an electric vehicle with similar range to General Motors’ Chevrolet Bolt and Tesla Motors’ Model 3.”

Renault-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn told reporters today at the Detroit auto show that Nissan is also planning an electric car with similar range as the Bolt concept’s 200 miles.”

“He said the introduction of the Bolt “was not a surprise.”

“Obviously we will be competing” with electric cars that get 200 miles on a battery charge, he said.”

“We are the leaders and we frankly intend to continue to be the leaders.”

“Generations of EVs coming are going to get better, less costly, lighter, more autonomous.”

(In comparison to the Bolt) “It may have even more range.”

Sadly, no... not that I can find. The closest is that it seems that True Car is going to be doing a livestream (through livestream) of their CEO's presentation/speech. InsideEVs says they will be providing coverage... but in what capacity is unknown. If anyone else has any hits on this event please let us know... my Googling skills seems to have resulted in nothing useful.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news, it appears that Nissan will have an answer to the Bolt and Model 3:

Nissan CEO Ghosn: Chevrolet Bolt - Nissan Has Competing, Long-Range Electric Car In Development

Nice. At this point, I just want the cheapest 200 mile EV. So who's it going to be? Is it you Tesla? Nissan? or GM? Lowest bidder wins!

Status
Not open for further replies.