Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2. Let's not forget that Volvo has some pretty amazing engineers too. Now I'm not certain if they are in the exact same company, but I believe Volvo recently launched a fully electric city bus in Gothenburg, running regular trafficacross the river between two campuses of Chalmers Tech Uni and with at least one terminal indoors! So I wouldn't rule out Volvo here just yet, either.

Volvo AB is a Swedish company that focuses on heavy trucks.

Volvo Car Corporation or Volvo Personvagnar AB is a wholly owned subsidiary of Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co Ltd of China and markets passenger vehicles under the Volvo brand.

Last edited:
Got the alert from Tesla about a SEC fíling this morning. JB sold 10k of his 60k shares. Anyone wants to reád too much into that? I normally read these as these guys living their lifes... Maybe he bought a new house.

It has been stated here before that the Tesla execs cannot buy or sell shares whenever they feel like, but follow a long term plan for that (otherwise anything they do would have to be considered insider trading). So I wouldn´t interpret anything into that transaction.

Maybe someone who has more than my superficial knowledge about that can chime in?

GigaFactory near Reno in Sparks, Nevada, ahead of schedule, JB said (video here):
Construction has moved extremely fast… exceeded our wildest expectations. We expect to have some of the employees starting in the factory even in the next few weeks.
Our strategy is to do operations in one half even as we continue to expand and grow the other half of the factory. We didn’t want to wait until everything is complete and then have one giant opening. Instead we want to have a phased approach. Where can add employees and production capability as we grow.
As we know Gen3 vehicle is dependent on Gigafactory progress.
Could this faster than anticipated and phased approach for the GigaFactory result in an earlier Gen3 time to market?

GigaFactory near Reno in Sparks, Nevada, ahead of schedule, JB said (video here):

As we know Gen3 vehicle is dependent on Gigafactory progress.
Could this faster than anticipated and phased approach for the GigaFactory result in an earlier Gen3 time to market?

Yeah, that is one thing that didn´t follow Elon time ;). Impressive. But I think that timing of Gen3 release will quite tactical with regard to how the X and S come along, and also how the competition goes. Then they still have to build a couple of factories... But I agree, it gives them at least more flexibility with the Gen 3 timing and will save them money on batteries earllier than expected, no matter what product they use them for - the S, X, Powerwall or Gen 3.

It has been stated here before that the Tesla execs cannot buy or sell shares whenever they feel like, but follow a long term plan for that (otherwise anything they do would have to be considered insider trading). So I wouldn´t interpret anything into that transaction.

Maybe someone who has more than my superficial knowledge about that can chime in?
Damn, how did you reply to this before I deleted it? :)

So actually I deleted this post a few minutes after I posted as I realized I was half asleep reading the filing... This seems to have been a technical transaction, he sold 10k shares but also bought 10k at a very low price and also bought another 700 at a different price as he had some "non-qualified stock options". I guess this may have been related to some annual bonus/milestone, so "nothing to see here, move along".

Well, speak of the devil. There you have it, Volvo making their Splash. So with that in mind, I think I place it at a 60/30/10 for Renault/Volvo/Other as the potential company making plans with Tesla. Of course, this whole thing could fizzle out again, since they have made other comments in the past about having conversations with other companies that never went anywhere. But I think we all agree that someone signing on with Tesla for charging is good for everyone... especially the consumer trying to switch to an EV.

Seeking some advice from the seasoned forum members here: I hold 8 call contracts 150 expiring Jan '16. Average cost is $35, so break-even is $185. But, I've held them specifically to fund my Model X purchase and right now at $60K these contracts are not worth enough to pay for the car.

Would I be better off (1) converting them to shares using margin and waiting for the stock price to appreciate? Or (2) should I reinvest the $60K in June '16 call options and betting on a major gain first half of 2016 that will allow me to get the car in the summer?

What is the best strategy... risk assessment... decision?

I know the pros and cons of the two scenarios: (1) no tax implication, but shares won't appreciate as much as options and margin interest payments (2) taxed over $40 gain (as of today) and risk of calls expiring worthlessly if things go sour, but chance of much bigger returns.

Also, what do people think are the most attractive June '16 calls right now?

Last edited:
Don't know how accurate this is since I'm not sure sales centers would say anything about sales numbers, but:

He says that his company's checks with Tesla sales centers in the U.S. indicate "X reservations have been few and far between" since the launch.
"Around one-quarter of stores we talked to hadn't done a single Model X reservation in the roughly two weeks since the car was first delivered," he wrote.

http://news.investors.com/101915-776288-tesla-motors-third-quarter-earnings-ahead.htm

Analyst at Baird has fallen to the sidelines following the Model X launch. I wonder if the Model 3 can pull TSLA out of this slump. It looks like the Baird analyst picked up on Telsa's lack of optimism:
https://www.tipranks.com/analysts/ben-kallo

This is not a note issued yesterday, it was issued on October 7.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Baird+Downgrades+Tesla+Motors+%28TSLA%29+to+Neutral%3B+Moving+to+Sidelines+as+Model+X+Ramps/10952941.html

Status
Not open for further replies.