Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While the BMW/Apple talks have been known by us at TMC for some time, the drop from the mid-high 250s to low 250s appears to have come within the last 1-2 hours when CNBC put this out as their lead story. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/27/appl...-report.html?__source=xfinity|mod&par=xfinity

I agree with Curt's sentiments and feel that we have tripped through some stop loss orders and had the 'bots' take over. Not a great day on paper for many of our portfolios but perhaps a good day to be adding to positions. I missed a couple falling knives with some August calls but hope for some better days leading up to ER/CC.

While the BMW/Apple talks have been known by us at TMC for some time, the drop from the mid-high 250s to low 250s appears to have come within the last 1-2 hours when CNBC put this out as their lead story. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/27/appl...-report.html?__source=xfinity|mod&par=xfinity

I agree with Curt's sentiments and feel that we have tripped through some stop loss orders and had the 'bots' take over. Not a great day on paper for many of our portfolios but perhaps a good day to be adding to positions. I missed a couple falling knives with some August calls but hope for some better days leading up to ER/CC.

Indeed, the Apple-BMW talks are not really fresh news. But the acceleration down in share price today did coincide more with today's related CNBC story rather than the Chinese knockoff article, which is also stale news. Apple allowing some information to be leaked could be a ploy to scare Elon into lowering the asking price for selling Tesla Motors to Apple.

Indeed, the Apple-BMW talks are not really fresh news. But the acceleration down in share price today did coincide more with today's related CNBC story rather than the Chinese knockoff article, which is also stale news. Apple allowing some information to be leaked could be a ploy to scare Elon into lowering the asking price for selling Tesla Motors to Apple.

Interesting theory. I would think Google would buy Tesla before Apple does though. Given that Elon is good friends with Sergey and Larry

- - - Updated - - -

The meeting could have just been Apple Carplay OS related or Apple wanting to purchase a fleet of i3's.

Probably this... BMW peacocking how high tech they are and why Apple should integrate Carplay more with iJunkdrive and what not...

What is so hard to understand? We broke 50 day moving average. Many of the traders I respect are long calls going into earnings. I think this is an attack to flush out weak hands prior to earnings which is expected to be stellar.

The bargain price presented today could inspire analyst upgrades or at least reiterations of buy ratings and lofty price targets.

I was disappointed, retrospectively, in the timing of the issuance of Longboards upgrade to a PT of $500 near the close of the market last Friday. They were one of the few who saw the potential explosion in the price of TSLA two years ago and I thought it might be a nice catalyst pre ER.

Curt - That seems likely, but do you buy the argument of Apple acquiring Tesla as well? I'm not entirely sure if it's anything more than analyst comments/opinions.

If I were on Apple's board I would likely be for it based on the limited information/speculation I have read about the company's automotive goals. But I'm not on the board and am not privy to inside information, therefore I am not really competent to definitively make such a determination. It simply seems a realistic possibility.

Silly Chinese bodykit on a Model S and a couple photoshopped interiors make one ugly fake car and fake company. This is a bounce waiting to happen.

What a pleasant, unexpected gift of cheap calls. 260 weeklies were irresistible to me at these prices. I'll probably eat my words, but I simply could not help taking a quick shot.

Note: please do not follow me, invest at your own risk, etc.

Silly Chinese bodykit on a Model S and a couple photoshopped interiors make one ugly fake car and fake company. This is a bounce waiting to happen.

What a pleasant, unexpected gift of cheap calls. 260 weeklies were irresistible to me at these prices. I'll probably eat my words, but I simply could not help taking a quick shot.

Note: please do not follow me, invest at your own risk, etc.
I grabbed a couple $255s but also some $240 puts. Last time I bought some calls expecting a bounce (UBS downgrade) I got hammered. Hard to know what the right thing to do is when you don't know what the forces in play are. I don't think anyone here really knows for sure why we have such a big drop today. To me it looks like a bunch of small factors all rolled up into one and someone taking advantage of fear to run some stops but who knows.

Interesting theory. I would think Google would buy Tesla before Apple does though. Given that Elon is good friends with Sergey and Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Probably this... BMW peacocking how high tech they are and why Apple should integrate Carplay more with iJunkdrive and what not...

Though I'm really not looking to sell (or vote my shares in favor of Tesla selling), a bidding war between Apple and Google could be ... quite profitable.

seems like the BMW/Apple chatter is the most likely catalyst to today's trading.

perhaps this piece from the Yahoo ticker had some impact on the trading.

GE Plans Energy Storage Moves As Tesla Eyes Market GE TSLA - Investors.com

fwiw, I don't view either story as having meaningful impact on valuing Tesla today. I think traders just look for catalysts to run Tesla up or down, and are quite indifferent as to whether there is a substantive catalyst or just a very brief perception catalyst.

I'd really like to see that Model X design studio right about now...

Man, we were so close to taking out the ATH. Tables really turned fast. Caught me off guard, sounds like I'm not the only one.
For real. I could have seen this happening after a poor received ER, but not beforehand with no major negative catalyst...

Silver lining here would be we can't have a "buy the rumor sell the news" after ER. It would be a "sell the rumor sell the news."

Status
Not open for further replies.