Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody (which means non car people, kids, etc) knows what a great widget TM makes. Just nothing left to spin negatively.
That's what you think. Avenger's investigation made me do some digging of my own, and I am now in possession of a customs document proving that Tesla's electric motors are not born in America, but in Kenya. And they are made by VW!

The stock will collapse when the shocking truth comes out.

That's what you think. Avenger's investigation made me do some digging of my own, and I am now in possession of a customs document proving that Tesla's electric motors are not born in America, but in Kenya. And they are made by VW!

The stock will collapse when the shocking truth comes out.

Plot twist
VW outsources to Japan which uses Chinese made machines t produce the parts.

Better watch it Maoing. When you point out the obvious, that Tesla is turning into a bit of a stinker, and is having a horrible year, you get blocked by the kool aide drinkers. Only bulls allowed. Maybe they will add me back to the list when my 150 dollar prediction comes true!:tongue: 180 by Christmas, 150 by January 28th.

While I certainly hope for my sake that prices get that low, your targets seems purely hopeful and emotion driven and doesn't rely on any objective analysis. That's why people ignore you, not because you are a bear. Look at maoing, he's been a bear from time to time and people don't block him because he leaves emotion out.
Personally thinking the X is ugly is a started reason for your bearishness, but that's super subjective as well.

For the record I would be shocked but ecstatic if we dropped below 180, much less 150, but that seems extremely unlikely. I feel that if I'm lucky I MIGHT get to buy a few below 200, but that's about it.

Interesting day today. Thought the markets would be in the red after the events of this weekend in France. With no news to push tsla up, I'm suspecting it might come back down a bit tomorrow. Hard to follow lately.

I am coming around to the odd fluctuations being driven by very subtle points that often are not even visible to the public like today. If the stock and company were more traditional we would be less likely to experience these. But for the same reason I play I must also be accepting. With such a high valuation even the slightest tick can send the SP either direction.

J18s are out. Is it typical for strikes only up to 300 to be released? That's all my brokerage is showing at the moment, though much higher strikes are available on the J17s and elsewhere.
[grumble]
I know that they use rules based on SP for the strike increments. Probably do the same for the maximum strike price. Maybe they add the 490's when the SP is over something like $260?
[/grumble]

J2018 300's calls seem like bargain now :smile::
Tesla Motors, Inc. (TSLA) Option Chain - Stock Puts Calls - NASDAQ.com
Code:
Jan 19, 2018 	TSLA 	strike 	last 	bid	 ask  

Jan 19, 2018 	TSLA 	300 	27.30 	25.20  	28.90

Last edited:
Any model X shortfall should be well compensated by model S production if model S demand is really strong, otherwise market has doubt on model S demand which not rosy as Elon claimed many many times. There is no execuse not to meet 55K annaul guidance even without model X.

We're talking about a dynamic situation. Tesla's ability to produce vehicles changes over time. So is demand. On top of that, Tesla is able to influence demand directly via things like pricing and options and indirectly via entering new markets or building up supercharger network. Perfect execution for Tesla would be to steer demand to be just above production. Obviously there are things that aren't possible to manage to perfection like an introduction of a new model.

To justify your claims you'd have to have technical knowledge that they CAN produce that many cars but chose not to. We have evidence to the contrary straight from the source. Maybe they could ramp up Model S production while putting Model X ramp on the back burner to meet the number but that would make no sense.

Bottom line is looks to me you're making a whole lot of assumptions about how the factory operates to make your claims. Occam's razor would suggest that Tesla's story is consistent within itself and they do indeed manage demand pretty darn good and do what they do with production. No need to invent extra stories around this.

Tesla Motors in talks with German Government about a battery factory in Germany.
Gabriel mentioned this during a visit of Merc plant in Rastatt in Germany earlier today.
With press mentions about talks with other countries as well, it looks like Tesla still searching for the appropriate location of GigaFactory2.

Last edited:
So back on this China rebate thing - apparently Tesla China has similar communications problems as Tesla HQ, maybe even worse. So far, it does appear that the incentive does not require a trade-in to Tesla but does require that the purchaser get rid of an ICE or hybrid/PHEV vehicle to qualify for a discount up to 80,000 RMB, or about $12,559. That's an aggressive discount.

However, the real question is whether or not that actually hits margins as one might assume at first. Back on September 22, Tesla raised prices in China by about 5% according this article and corroborated by some forum members:

Tesla Motors Inc Raises Model S Price In China By 5% Over Yuan Devaluation

Not clear if 5% is only on the base model or if higher end models received a larger price increase.

There is a problem comparing prices across countries and just doing exchange rate conversions due to differences in how taxes and other fees are incorporated. In any case, in August, the RMB devalued by about 3.2%. So USD has weakened slightly since then, so the end effect is about 2% additional margin is in the price of the car since August. Since the introduction of the Model S in China, the exchange rate has fluctuated around 6.2 to to a low of 6.12 to a high of 6.25 before spiking to the upper 6.30s. However, if you look back in time to 2011 and earlier, the dollar was far weaker. Matter of fact, in January and February of 2014 right before Tesla launched the Model S in China, the dollar was at its weakest in 10 years. Therefore, without a true accounting of all the fees and taxes, it isn't clear just how much buffer was in the price to deal with currency fluctuation. Whatever was there, Tesla decided to take a 5% price hike, maybe as an early precaution expecting that the USD would strengthen far more than it did. But the Fed didn't raise rates, so instead of going up even higher, the exchange rate has been fluctuating in the 6.3's. It would certainly make sense for Tesla to have raised their prices in order to cover the Fed raising in September.

Now, since the exchange rate isn't so bad, it probably makes sense to provide an incentive. 80,000 RMB represents about 9.5% of the sticker price of a top spec car, which is definitely high, but can be mostly covered or even completely covered by exchange rate issues, especially if Tesla anticipated rate hikes that didn't happen. It would be nice if someone in the know would re-calculate all the fees and taxes to sort out the Model S pricing in China relative to U.S. pricing.

Tesla Motors in talks with German Government about a battery factory in Germany.
Gabriel mentioned this during a visit of Merc plant in Rastatt in Germany earlier today.
With press mentions about talks with other countries as well, it looks like Tesla still searching for the appropriate location of GigaFactory2.

According to Bloomberg, German Economy Minister said that he presumes that Tesla would want "public funds" for the factory. This could be big...

Status
Not open for further replies.