Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No way that doing that is legal.. That's totally giving out information about a company in a non-public way.. Unless that email went out to everyone in the world first.

That was very interesting indeed. Very uncommon for Cook. Apple, Google and a few other giants have tremendous power.

Edit: the volume on the AAPL swing today was also very low: only a bit over 4 million shares traded yet today. That's as many as TSLA (which is x2 the price). Go figure...

That was very interesting indeed. Very uncommon for Cook. Apple, Google and a few other giants have tremendous power.

Edit: the volume on the AAPL swing today was also very low: only a bit over 4 million shares traded yet today. That's as many as TSLA (which is x2 the price). Go figure...
Not sure what you are looking at but google shows over 105 million shares traded of AAPL (almost 2x avg.).
If its legal to send insider information to just one news source, and that too, directly to the email of one guy at a news organization, I have lost all faith in this country's ability to monitor and regulate the financial sector. Do you really believe that when Cramer saw this, he didn't tell his friends at various hedge funds to buy before reporting it on the news?

@hershey: Yeah not sure how I got that volume data. It was very off. Sorry.

Agree though about the way Cook gave his comments. Not cool. Actually very unprofessional.

Before, when Elon has tweeted various things, at least he has done it publicly and directly on his own Twitter feed, for anyone to read simultaneously.

I think that it would kinda fall under the SEC's social media disclosure rules. CNBC very quickly disclosed it both on tv and on twitter and other news outlets reported on it. I'm not an expert on Reg FD though.
Here is the SEC ruling SEC.gov | SEC Says Social Media OK for Company Announcements if Investors Are Alerted
“One set of shareholders should not be able to get a jump on other shareholders just because the company is selectively disclosing important information,” said George Canellos, Acting Director of the SEC’s Division of Enforcement. “Most social media are perfectly suitable methods for communicating with investors, but not if the access is restricted or if investors don’t know that’s where they need to turn to get the latest news.”
Regulation FD requires companies to distribute material information in a manner reasonably designed to get that information out to the general public broadly and non-exclusively. It is intended to ensure that all investors have the ability to gain access to material information at the same time.

Tim Cook was replying to Jim Cramer's email inquiry so I am not sure how this will play out.

Brilliant. If people are only allowed to buy, not sell, not sell short then the stock market will go up forever and ever. I guess that's kind of what the Chinese government has tried.

So relevant from Josh Brown:
Why the stock market has to go down

Chinese authorities are in the process of regulating stock market sell-offs out of existence. They’re investigating foreign and local hedge funds that trade in both directions, outlawing the selling of insider shares by corporate executives and banning short-selling.

With nationalistic sloganeering and promises of stability, Beijing thinks it can eliminate the fears that have gripped the local investor class.
It won’t work. And they shouldn’t try to prevent market panics, in any case.

Stock markets have to go down. The Chinese stock market must fall. So must the US stock market. Without the threat of losses, the gains never show up.

I want you to picture a world in which stocks never went down. What multiple would you pay for the earnings of a public company’s stock if it was never going to drop? What would make you ever sell your stocks other than needing to use the money?
In theory, you would pay an infinite multiple and you would hold on forever. A one-way asset would eventually surpass whatever price you paid in a best case scenario, but the worst case scenario would be flat returns.

If that sounds great, I can assure you that it’s a horror story.

Stock markets have to go down. The Chinese stock market must fall. So must the US stock market. Without the threat of losses, the gains never show up.

Yes, but not at the same time haha. And how does having no threat of losses means no gains? There's either loss, no change, and gains. No loss means there is just no change or gains.

In theory, you would pay an infinite multiple and you would hold on forever. A one-way asset would eventually surpass whatever price you paid in a best case scenario, but the worst case scenario would be flat returns.

If that sounds great, I can assure you that it’s a horror story.

Infinite gains/profits going upwards with worst-case flat returns, essentially guaranteeing your principal investment? Sounds good to me.

Yes, but not at the same time haha. And how does having no threat of losses means no gains? There's either loss, no change, and gains. No loss means there is just no change or gains.

Infinite gains/profits going upwards with worst-case flat returns, essentially guaranteeing your principal investment? Sounds good to me.

Read the article, he explains his premise. (which is correct, and a smart thought experiment).

Here is the SEC ruling SEC.gov | SEC Says Social Media OK for Company Announcements if Investors Are Alerted

Tim Cook was replying to Jim Cramer's email inquiry so I am not sure how this will play out.

Hmm, "a manner reasonably designed to get that information out to the public" - you mean like emailing a member of the media?

Everyone's making a big deal out of this. He talked to a member of the media, and the media, by definition, exists to get information out. If Cramer traded on it then he violated rules, Cook didn't violate anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.