Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the language they used in the call it seems the capital raise is going to happen. Whether they do it by showering all the good news at once, or are required to do it is not known.

This was a known item and was delayed due to a line of credit of $750M.

With lowered guidance (which I forecasted a possibility) I have more questions about current Model S demand. Tesla guided q3 at same as q2 that too after pulling two demand levers in matter of weeks. That was a bit weak IMO. For q4, if you assume the same Model S sales as q3 (Osborne effect in full swing ), they are left with 5500 Model X delivery in q4 to reach 50K (lowest of the new guidance) mark. I THINK THAT IS A TALL ORDER if you even slightly don't take Tesla by its words.

It looks like Tesla MUST beat handily q3 to achieve new lowered guidance.

Customer deposits only went up from 253 to 273 million in the quarter this suggests that most of the increase in deposits were from model x reservations and not a significant increase in model s reservations/deposits(hence the need for referrals and the 70) also the appreciating dollar has led to price increases in Canada and Europe.

- - - Updated - - -

Once cash flow positive and in steady state, the stock should be at a peak, and then they will issue stock and raise capital to build model 3 , a good 3 billion dollar raise ...... Might be necessary.
Yup so capital raise in the first quarter of 2016

Yeah their spending is going to increase with model 3 development and tooling. Their expenditures will continue to rise and their current cash flow cannot sustainably cover current expenditures without further capital raises. Them saying no comment to capital raises in the conference call = they need to raise capital

Much of Model 3 development costs should be lower than that of Model S and X. Tesla now has electronics, battery, and motors that are well developed.

Who care if Tesla needs to raise capital?

"Dilution" is a non-issue because the new shares represent new investment. The company is getting something for those shares.

If you are genuinely concerned about cash issues and dilution, do yourself a favor and sell your shares in TSLA to us. You will sleep easier at night.

Much of Model 3 development costs should be lower than that of Model S and X. Tesla now has electronics, battery, and motors that are well developed.

"Dilution" is a non-issue because the new shares represent new investment. The company is getting something for those shares.

If you are genuinely concerned about cash issues and dilution, do yourself a favor and sell your shares in TSLA to us. You will sleep easier at night.

Dilution is akin to the government printing new money, of course it's an issue. It's not an attack on tesla, the company is bleeding money and will need to raise money in the next 6-9 months.

Model 3 tooling and production setup is an order of magnitude higher than that of Model S. We have no idea what new processes do they apply for Model 3 to lower end cost. They need a lot of money for that.

There will be Model 3 reservations too. Some cash there.

But, even if there is a raise, this is Tesla, 10% dilution to fund an order of magnitude increase in cars seems fine to me. I'll make that trade as many times as they want to do it.
I agree. I am fine by the capital raise as well since I know where that money is going to be used. The street will lower or raise SP based on the situation Tesla is in at the time and the reasoning given. All said, this will linger on the SP for a few quarters.

For the guys declaring a Capital raise is imminent you need to listen to the call more. You may have missed the point about Model X cash flows coming in and sustaining them. They'll go cf positive in q1 16 and possibly q4 15 as projected depending on how x launch goes.

That may be true but revenue will be flat in q3 (they are guiding for around 12,000 produced), so that means cash reserves will be halved this quarter to 600 million. Tesla could easily enter 2016 with under a billion in cash reserves which is troubling when their competitors have hundreds of billions in cash reserves. They mentioned only having around 50 million in power pack revenue in q4.

Stationary storage is promising. Tesla Energy ramp up is going to be a hyper catalyst - $40-50M Q4, order of magnitude in 2016.

Why raise when CapEx will be nose diving once Giga1 completes and you have additional revenue from Energy and production will increase 62% (fm 55 to 89) - 78% (fm 50 to 89) in the next year.

All this hyperbole of "at this burn rate" conveniently ignores CapEx will not be $831M in the first 6 months of 2016. I expect it to return to 2014 levels ($317.) Its not like that's an open spigot they can't turn off.

Ignoring any increase in Model S/X GM contribution, those two items can contribute more than enough to become cash flow positive and negate a capital raise.

The cash flow from TE products should be substantial. $400 to $500 M in revenue in 2016. At 15% GM, this is $60 to $75 M in gross prifit. Additionally customer deposits for $2B to $5B in 2017 sales should be posted in 2016. So at say 5% down, that's another $100 to $250 M in cash in 2016. Together that is cash flow from TE from $160 to $375 M. In this range there ought to be enough cash flow to continue to build out the Gigafactory. Obviously where they are in this range depends on just how much demand there is for TE products. If demand is enough, say $5B in 2017, they expand capacity on an accelerated basis, nearly $100M pER quarter. If not, they should at least be able to build out at $40M per quarter pretty much per plan. So I am pretty confident that cash for the Gigafactory is covered by Tesla Energy.

Tesla Motors (just the auto part of the company) has largely covered the cash need in 2016 for the Model X launch. That is, the big cash burn for advancing Model S and launching Model X has been almost entirely spent by the end of 2015. So the next big chunk of cash needed by TM (just cars) is for Model 3. So in 2016, Model X / S revenue is about $8B on 80k to 90k cars. With GM at 20% to 25%, that's $160 to $200 M gross profit. With the unveiling of Model 3 in April, TM will begin taking reservations. At say $2500 per reservation, 400 reservations draws in $1B in deposits. This should suffice for Model 3 developmental costs in 2016.

So yes, Tesla will do a capital raise in April 2016. It's called taking deposits for the Model 3. Shut up and take my money already.

Tesla needs billions for capex; cash flows from 80k cars even at 30% gross margin won't cover that.

I think it should be possible at this point or sometime soon at the tail end of the Model X ramp spend, to calculate how much money Tesla needs to spend in capex.

Certainly, just taking Tesla's previous few quarters of capex spend and just applying it forward belies too simplistic of an assessment and is often used as a bear's argument, similar taking the capex spent so far and applying it to the sold Model S's. That's used to as a specious argument to try to talk down the stock price and snares some gullible people. Hence the push back you are getting.

It should be possible to characterize the Tesla Gigafactory phase 1 spend, the Model X spend, and the ongoing Supercharger build out spend. Add to it the Service Centers and so forth. The Gigafactory phase 1 spend is almost over and Panasonic and other vendor's spending ramps up. Tesla could continue to spend on phase 2 immediately, or they could hold off. The Model X spend is almost over and some of that spend includes Model 3 spend (paint shop). The Supercharger spend is roughly 5% of capex so far and is probably relatively steady state, adjusted down as necessary to make quarterly numbers. The incentive program is being used right now to figure out how many more Galleries to build, especially in areas where it might be difficult to justify. Plus, lobbying politicians is expensive, so maybe they don't take that approach and just do the incentive program until there is sufficient groundswell/grass roots. It is certainly possible that in Q4 and through sometime in 2016, Tesla's capex spend can drop dramatically.

I ran the numbers before and I'll have to go through the SEC reports again and run the numbers again with new information. However, Tesla doesn't *need* billions in capex all at once. Stationary storage might make the difference between *need* and *want*. It might be slow enough that the free cash flow would be sufficient in 2016. However, I believe Tesla wants to do a capital raise to increase velocity. It would make sense to create a battery pack assembly plant somewhere in Asia, maybe near the existing Panasonic Osaka factories where they get cell output already. That way, battery packs bound for Asia and some of Europe's never needs to go through the U.S. The shipping alone might make it worth doing that. If the Model 3 design is ready earlier than later (remember, it's a less tech intensive, less new development intensive vehicle) then it would make sense to raise to build out the tooling in Fremont ahead of free cash flow. If stationary storage demand is sufficient, then starting phase 2 of the Gigafactory as soon as possible might make a lot of sense. You have to spend money to make money, and thus these are positives, but the bears will spin this as negative.

I read people for a living. I investigate for a living. Elon and the CFO's answer to a capital raise was super weak. It was almost a dead give away. I am not the only one from the forum who believes this. The pre-market action reflects this. It is now just a matter of what the offering price will be imho. They have created a self fulfilling prophecy. That is the problem with being a publicly traded company. You have to answer questions and be accountable for your answers. I will be purchasing shares during the equity raise (double the amount I recently sold) as I continue to believe Tesla is the best company on the planet and has the brightest future of all. If will buy in by the spring of 2016 or if/when SP hits $300.00.

I think it should be possible at this point or sometime soon at the tail end of the Model X ramp spend, to calculate how much money Tesla needs to spend in capex.

Certainly, just taking Tesla's previous few quarters of capex spend and just applying it forward belies too simplistic of an assessment and is often used as a bear's argument, similar taking the capex spent so far and applying it to the sold Model S's. That's used to as a specious argument to try to talk down the stock price and snares some gullible people. Hence the push back you are getting.

It should be possible to characterize the Tesla Gigafactory phase 1 spend, the Model X spend, and the ongoing Supercharger build out spend. Add to it the Service Centers and so forth. The Gigafactory phase 1 spend is almost over and Panasonic and other vendor's spending ramps up. Tesla could continue to spend on phase 2 immediately, or they could hold off. The Model X spend is almost over and some of that spend includes Model 3 spend (paint shop). The Supercharger spend is roughly 5% of capex so far and is probably relatively steady state, adjusted down as necessary to make quarterly numbers. The incentive program is being used right now to figure out how many more Galleries to build, especially in areas where it might be difficult to justify. Plus, lobbying politicians is expensive, so maybe they don't take that approach and just do the incentive program until there is sufficient groundswell/grass roots. It is certainly possible that in Q4 and through sometime in 2016, Tesla's capex spend can drop dramatically.

I ran the numbers before and I'll have to go through the SEC reports again and run the numbers again with new information. However, Tesla doesn't *need* billions in capex all at once. Stationary storage might make the difference between *need* and *want*. It might be slow enough that the free cash flow would be sufficient in 2016. However, I believe Tesla wants to do a capital raise to increase velocity. It would make sense to create a battery pack assembly plant somewhere in Asia, maybe near the existing Panasonic Osaka factories where they get cell output already. That way, battery packs bound for Asia and some of Europe's never needs to go through the U.S. The shipping alone might make it worth doing that. If the Model 3 design is ready earlier than later (remember, it's a less tech intensive, less new development intensive vehicle) then it would make sense to raise to build out the tooling in Fremont ahead of free cash flow. If stationary storage demand is sufficient, then starting phase 2 of the Gigafactory as soon as possible might make a lot of sense. You have to spend money to make money, and thus these are positives, but the bears will spin this as negative.

Since tesla is vertically integrated they require even more capital than traditional carmakers. No other manufacturer pays for fueling infrastructure, showrooms, and service centers like tesla does.

- - - Updated - - -

I read people for a living. I investigate for a living. Elon and the CFO's answer to a capital raise was super weak. It was almost a dead give away. I am not the only one from the forum who believes this. The pre-market action reflects this. It is now just a matter of what the offering price will be imho. They have created a self fulfilling prophecy. That is the problem with being a publicly traded company. You have to answer questions and be accountable for your answers. I will be purchasing shares during the equity raise (double the amount I recently sold) as I continue to believe Tesla is the best company on the planet and has the brightest future of all. If will buy in by the spring of 2016 or if/when SP hits $300.00.

Yeah they said no comment for competitor to uber just like they said no comment about a capital raise, it's pretty logical to infer that they are planning on doing both.

Status
Not open for further replies.