Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
11:50 ET: DowJones via WardsAuto.com - Tesla sales off 26% thru sept vs prior year

I cannot find anything on the internet about this. Do you have a link?

WardsAuto has been very anti-Tesla. They are dependent on established automakers, suppliers and dealerships for support.

Anything from WardsAuto regarding Tesla sales through September is dubious, since Tesla does not release such information. If there is anything to it, it might be due to shipment overseas to the detriment of domestic orders.

As a reminder to everyone, this specific point has been addressed before by Elon.. if it becomes a big annoyance in the stock expect him to talk about it again in the upcoming earnings call.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2201363-tesla-motors-tsla-ceo-elon-musk-on-q1-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Elon R. Musk
Very often, in the media, it seems like there’s confusion between Tesla production and Tesla demand. For example, like we’re sold of Q2 production, already. The term sales usually means demand, but in our case sales means deliveries. It’s our measure of demand, it’s a measure of how many cars we’re actually able to get to customers. If we had been better at production and delivery would have little bit more cost.

Elon R. Musk
Yes, and I think this is getting back to that what is still not early, this – it’s a confuse deliveries with demand, deliveries and demand are not the same thing for Tesla. They are for other car companies but not Tesla.

What is your take on the price action today and moving into ER? I would have thought the new USBank leasing program would have at least keep us market neutral, if not up, today?

I like the fact that expectations seem to be in the gutter. I expect Tesla made guidance, so as long as expectations aren't too high, that should go over well. I'm not liking the fact that we are sitting right atop the 200-day. If the market doesn't like something about the ER, we don't have much of a buffer before the stock becomes technically broken.

As with most TSLA ERs, I expect we'll either be up huge or down huge. I'm thinking that up is the more likely outcome this time.

I like the fact that expectations seem to be in the gutter. I expect Tesla made guidance, so as long as expectations aren't too high, that should go over well. I'm not liking the fact that we are sitting right atop the 200-day. If the market doesn't like something about the ER, we don't have much of a buffer before the stock becomes technically broken.

As with most TSLA ERs, I expect we'll either be up huge or down huge. I'm thinking that up is the more likely outcome this time.

Thanks. I am sitting on the sidelines right now having sold all my trading shares, LEAPS/calls...only my core shares and sorry..I feel bad, some $230 11/14 puts. I feel that the ER will be big either way.....If we rally/run up prior to ER I suspect we dip and I buy post ER. If we dip prior to ER, I will buy pre ER expecting an uptick. That is my plan now....admittably plans need to be changeable as circumstances dictate.

We might be technically broken already..

It's not over 'til the fat lady sings.

We'll see with the consumer reports survey coming in 1 minute...

Edit, here it is:

Tesla Motors Inc.'s Model S sedan wasn't included in the brand standings because it has only one model and the magazine requires data on at least two models. However, the magazine said it recommends the Model S, which received an "average" rating.

Edit 2: Thanks lump.. weird my article says what I quoted and talks about buggy infotainment systems are the biggest gripe with respect to other manufacturers

Edit 3: weird lump's post disappeared, but here's the article he linked about Tesla being top of owner satisfaction Car Owner Satisfaction Ratings - Consumer Reports

Last edited:
fwiw, with the CR risk of losing recommendation cleared, I picked up some trading shares on this sell-off. As others have suggested, much downside has already been priced in regarding ER, and I'll add, Elon could easily say some things far more significant than +/- a few hundred deliveries (though, of course, he could say something that moves the stock down, but that happens considerably less frequently than comments that move the stock up).

Well, I'm technically broke already.

Haha, j/k....still buying my S85D.

But think what a "rich driving experience" you will have!

Investors still don't get how far ahead Tesla is ...my 2012 Sig P85 is obsolete after only 2 years! Thank goodness for OTA updates to get some of the new goodies. I'm sure that the Nov ER will beat ... talking heads on CNBC today predicting lower oil prices will hurt Tesla...obviously, they never drove a Model S...saving money on gas is only one reason to own a Tesla! Even if gas was 1 dollar a gallon I would rather drive a P85D than any other ICE car.

Was that "average" in general or just regarding reliability?

Curt, that's regarding reliability, and I'm nearly certain that is the same rating it had in last years survey. CR's 99 overall rating, only matched by one other car in history, based on their comprehensive testing stands. "In general" apparently, owners have reported 99% satisfaction with the car to CR in the past. I thought I read somewhere that the new survey reaffirmed this, but, I'm not certain, as now I cannot find a reference to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.