Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
everyone saying that they're taking some profits now makes me think we have a lot more room to run in the near term...just my gut contrarian instinct that I've come to know over the past few years with TSLA...it's when we have a nice run up and everyone on here seems to be excited saying that they're buying even higher near term strike calls is when we seem to get to a top. We shall see though...

Haha! So true. Seems to be how these things go.

I'm curious for the technical analysts out there: since we had a fairly big gap (~$8) from prev. close to opening today, do you expect that we'll come back down to $248 or at least $250 before resuming upward?

I've made a pretty penny on my options today but I'm wondering if I should sell soon (next few days) and wait for the gap to fill... (or I could do the conservative thing and not pay too much attention to short term movements and focus on long-term growth, but well... this is the short-term movements thread :)

I bought some Aug 16 260s last Thursday for $1.10.....sold half today to book the profit but will hold onto the others to see what transpires over the next day or two. Nice to see some 'green' in the portfolio today...but I am happy taking 1/2 the weeklies off the table. I am not selling any of my Jan15 or Jan 16s.

Last edited:
Looks like that small quick drop in the last hour was likely because this hit the headlines. LG Chem working with automakers on a rival battery enabling $40k 200 mile car.

LG Chem Working on Battery to Rival Teslas Range - WSJ

GOOD! Seriously, I hope someone else makes a 200 mile car, and it would be really great if it was another American made auto bringing us back full speed into a manufacture leading country... plus it would be pretty great redemption for my hate of GM after the EV1 and their hobbled Volt range. Even if it isn't GM... I don't really care who, as long as we get someone else in the space.

As has been stated many times, this is good all around for that to happen.
1: There is certainly going to be more than enough demand for a good 200 mile+ car no matter how many they can manage to make at 30-40k. (note you will still need a bunch of batteries, on the order of 50GW if someone wants to compete at the scale of Tesla, but who honestly doesn't see at least a 5 million car demand in the short term giving more than enough room for any player?)
2: Mass adoption means more people will want it. Once we start into the early majority phase (we are nowhere near that yet) it will be really hard to sell most people in the market on an ICE.
3: Mass adoption means more charging options. Especially in the 200+ mile range, we will get away from all this crappy L2 charging infastructure and actually start seeing good charging options pop up. I mean let's face it... sticking a charger at the grocery store or pharmacy is just a stupid idea when you are considering 200 miles of range.

I am sure there are other positives, but all this means that this should cause the price of Tesla to go up even faster because it signals at least one other player "gets it".

everyone saying that they're taking some profits now makes me think we have a lot more room to run in the near term...just my gut contrarian instinct that I've come to know over the past few years with TSLA...it's when we have a nice run up and everyone on here seems to be excited saying that they're buying even higher near term strike calls is when we seem to get to a top. We shall see though...

On Thursday my wife does what she rarely does, and asked me how we were positioned. She said her friends on facebook were saying we were bombing Iraq and the market would be tanking and they were putting in sell orders for Friday. I said that that meant the market was at a local bottom and you could expect a rebound. It's a little early to call it on the general market in Aug, but the trend is sharply up the last two days. Doing the opposite of what the cool kids are saying to do is never a bad first instinct. (disclaimer, I am not cool).

GOOD! Seriously, I hope someone else makes a 200 mile car, and it would be really great if it was another American made auto bringing us back full speed into a manufacture leading country... plus it would be pretty great redemption for my hate of GM after the EV1 and their hobbled Volt range. Even if it isn't GM... I don't really care who, as long as we get someone else in the space.

As has been stated many times, this is good all around for that to happen.
1: There is certainly going to be more than enough demand for a good 200 mile+ car no matter how many they can manage to make at 30-40k. (note you will still need a bunch of batteries, on the order of 50GW if someone wants to compete at the scale of Tesla, but who honestly doesn't see at least a 5 million car demand in the short term giving more than enough room for any player?)
2: Mass adoption means more people will want it. Once we start into the early majority phase (we are nowhere near that yet) it will be really hard to sell most people in the market on an ICE.
3: Mass adoption means more charging options. Especially in the 200+ mile range, we will get away from all this crappy L2 charging infastructure and actually start seeing good charging options pop up. I mean let's face it... sticking a charger at the grocery store or pharmacy is just a stupid idea when you are considering 200 miles of range.

I am sure there are other positives, but all this means that this should cause the price of Tesla to go up even faster because it signals at least one other player "gets it".

Exactly, the more mass market EV programs, the more public charging development. Particularly if it's long range EVs from other automakers, it means higher speed public charging demand.

probably left his browser open at work or around friends! haha! I know my friends would probably do something like that to me too.

Looks like the stock is trying to settle around 260 for the day... Which means it might actually close above the previous high closing point, but we aren't going to break the ATH just yet... hrmmm...

Give you something to look forward to tomorrow :biggrin:

IBd Article
Tesla Motors' (NASDAQ:TSLA) stock jumped after Deutsche Bank upgraded the electric car maker to buy on views that its "growth trajectory" will top expectations as "additional assembly facilities" boost production to at least 1 million units annually by 2025.
Analyst Rod Lache raised his stock rating to buy from hold and upped his price target to 310 from 220.
Tesla's stock rose nearly 5% in afternoon trading in the stock market today Shares hit a five-month high intraday of 263.74 on Monday. The stock had hit an intraday high of 265 on Feb. 26.

View Enlarged Image
"In the previous versions of our Tesla model, we assumed that Tesla's (production) volumes would increase to 450,000-500,000 by 2019/2020, and that growth would moderate to around 7% per year in subsequent years as the company's further expansion plans were unclear," said Lache in a report. "Through our discussions with Tesla management, it has become increasingly that the company is already pursuing the acquisition of additional assembly capacity. While we do not expect any news on this front just yet, we believe that the announcement of one or two additional assembly facilities is likely (each with capacity in the 200,000-500,000 units) by the time that Tesla launches production of its Model 3 (in early 2017). Consequently, we would be surprised if Tesla targets anything less than 1 million units annually by 2025."
Tesla aims to manufacture 50,000 vehicles annually by the end of 2014 and double production to 100,000 by late 2015. Tesla plans to expand sales by boosting shipments of its Model S sedan, priced from $71,000 in the U.S., to China and other international markets and adding the Model X electric sport-utility vehicle in early 2015.
"We are adjusting our 2015, 2016, and 2017 volume estimates to 60,000, 100,000, and 129,000 from 51,000, 60,000, and 83,000. And even these estimates may be conservative," said Lache. "At this point we see an increasingly clear path to 500,000 units of annual production by late this decade."
According to Lache, Tesla's production at a Fremont, Calif., plant will top out at around 500,000 units "in the 2019/2020 time frame."
Lache says the electric vehicle maker's profits will surge if it succeeds in improving battery technology. Tesla plans to build a new Gigafactory for batteries. It's considering Reno, Nev., as well as sites in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.
"We expect Tesla to be much more profitable than we previously expected," added Lache. "Tesla suggested that their mix is likely to be much more richly skewed (Model S/X vs. Model 3) than we had been assuming. Moreover, Tesla is now explicitly targeting battery pack costs of $150/kWh by late 2017 (vs. around $250/kWh today). And they anticipate costs declining below $100/kWh within the next 10-years. Based on discussions with industry experts, we believe that improvements of this magnitude will likely require significant advancements in cathode, anode, and electrolyte technology. But they do not appear to be completely out of reach."

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: Tesla Seen Making 1 Million Cars Annually By 2025, Shares Jump TSLA - Investors.com

Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

Not complaining, but I think we might see ATH today; in which case I will miss out on a multi-bagger. But I can't monitor my position today, so I need to sell quickly.

As far as security goes, I really hope that they take care of this and be very proactive about it. I have a feeling that a hacker could potentially take over a car while it is driving if someone really, really, really wanted to do so and committed vast resources to get a program like this up and running. It would be a PR disaster for TSLA if just one car got hacked/hijacked on the expressway and that hacker caused a crash or worse death. It would be a death blow.

I'm fairly sure that the screen/internet system doesn't have enough control of the drive systems to do this. If a hacker could control the drive systems, they would be able to do it for most any other new car on the road too.

Well, to be fair, I think that everyone here that is taking profits is also expecting the price to go higher.

All time closing high in the books.

Indeed, Steve, today TSLA achieved an all-time closing high of $259.32, thus easily surpassing the previous record close of $254.84 set on March 4. However, today’s intraday high of $263.74 was $1.26 short of the record of February 26.

Surpassing $265.00 would show technical strength. It could unleash a flash flood of short covering, as all short sellers will be underwater.

Congratulations to the army of strong longs who have firmly stood their ground throughout all the highs and lows. Each day as more people buy Model S’s, many of them become TSLA shareholders who file away the stock and ignore price gyrations. That further solidifies the defense against short sellers who become unable to cover at lower prices. Unfortunately for the shorts, they only see a few nearby trees, while the longs are benefiting by envisioning the entire forest. Thank you, Elon Musk and your brilliant team of engineers.

Last edited:
Seems like Consumer Reports had many minor issues just like Edmunds
Consumer Reports' Tesla Model S Has More than Its Share of Problems - Consumer Reports News

Don't think this will be a big issue.
Seemed very factual and they make a point of saying they can only comment on their experience and not to assume it's true of all Model S.

My Tesla has had a lot of small things and some large (center screen replacement, inverter replacement, many smaller items). From a reliability viewpoint, none of them kept the car from running, but it's been in the shop a lot compared to previous cars. All small trips and service was great. I'm an early VIN though, 2310, and I fully expect a lot of those warts have been dealt with on the assembly line at this point.

First year Model S might not get a great overall reliability rating, but it's certainly not bad either and Tesla's service makes it pretty painless (well, as long as you're near a service center).

Consumer Reports' Tesla Model S Has More than Its Share of Problems - Consumer Reports News

I think it's realistic to have some caution that there may be a ding here on the reliability poll results CR puts out this fall.

That said, they are very impressed by the car, and if it turns out they do have to report a drop in the reliability polling, I would expect them to deliver it within the context of their enthusiasm for the car, which is quite evident from this clip on their best cars of 2014, starting at 23:15 in this link,

Talking Cars with Consumer Reports #25: 2014 Top Picks - YouTube

Anyone know if Doug Kass or other prominent shorts have covered yet?

From earlier in the year, it would seem he would change his tune up to several times a day claiming to have shorted more at pre-market highs then covered at intraday lows, etc. Really just talking up his book in any case, doesn't disclose his actual position.

I agree. That was a very fair report, as I expect from CU. I'm not worried about it.

The CU car has had far more issues than my late 2013 S, though I have had several: HPWC charging cable replaced (at my house!), driver display module replaced (proactively by Tesla, I had no problems), center nav display sometimes loses the blue route line, and some other things so minor I can't recall them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.