Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm as bullish as anyone on tesla long term, but I sold everything immediately after seeing the reporting of the fire. I knew what the last fire did to the stock and this is coming on top of the ER that everyone but those that truly understand tesla thought was a disappointment. I will be buying a tesla, but if someone like me who is extremely bullish on the car and the company thinks there may be an issue with the design, I know the general public is definitely going to think that. I think it's not an end of the world type problem, just need more protection underneath. Just one non engineer's opinion, I'll let Elon figure it out. In the mean time, I'll be buying TSLA on sale when the time is right.
You could not be more bullish than me. I bought car early enough to take delivery in February. Started investing back in October last year. Put all my money in it mostly options. Was up close to 40x investment. Now cashed out with only original investment in it and profit of 27x original investment in cash more than twice what I need to retire which I will do in 4 months

I too believe elon will do something to protect battery. I understand statistical argument and feel very safe in my car. My average watts/mile 295. I usually am above speed limit but I read in posts here average is 330 which of course indicates many a lot higher. People are driving crazy. Perception is everything. Should not want to read about continuing fires no matter how unfair in comparison to ICE. Perhaps adjust air suspension to keep higher or protective plate, I am not an engineer as everyone can tell.

In any event I still believe in tesla and will run up my current stake hopefully to prior level without touching the cash. Warn other long term investor too. Don't get too greedy should have done this before like when stock was in the 190. Greed is a terrible thing

Was up close to 40x investment. Now cashed out with only original investment in it and profit of 27x original investment in cash more than twice what I need to retire which I will do in 4 months

Congrats. If I had that sort of gain and endgame (eg ability to cash out and retire), I can't say I'd stay invested no matter how bullish I was on TSLA's future. You've kind of won the game of Life at that point. :)

I'm as bullish as anyone on tesla long term, but I sold everything immediately after seeing the reporting of the fire. I knew what the last fire did to the stock and this is coming on top of the ER that everyone but those that truly understand tesla thought was a disappointment. I will be buying a tesla, but if someone like me who is extremely bullish on the car and the company thinks there may be an issue with the design, I know the general public is definitely going to think that. I think it's not an end of the world type problem, just need more protection underneath. Just one non engineer's opinion, I'll let Elon figure it out. In the mean time, I'll be buying TSLA on sale when the time is right.
You could not be more bullish than me. I bought car early enough to take delivery in February. Started investing back in October last year. Put all my money in it mostly options. Was up close to 40x investment. Now cashed out with only original investment in it and profit of 27x original investment in cash more than twice what I need to retire which I will do in 4 months

I too believe elon will do something to protect battery. I understand statistical argument and feel very safe in my car. My average watts/mile 295. I usually am above speed limit but I read in posts here average is 330 which of course indicates many a lot higher. People are driving crazy. Perception is everything. Should not want to read about continuing fires no matter how unfair in comparison to ICE. Perhaps adjust air suspension to keep higher or protective plate, I am not an engineer as everyone can tell.

In any event I still believe in tesla and will run up my current stake hopefully to prior level without touching the cash. Warn other long term investor too. Don't get too greedy should have done this before like when stock was in the 190. Greed is a terrible thing

Nissan LEAF has several times as many vehicles on the road worldwide, yet there's not a single report of a battery fire.

Thats not quite true ... a quick bit of googling reveals many Leafs have burnt to the ground, along with every other type of vehicle you can think of :-

nissan leaf on fire - Google Search

corvette on fire - Google Search

audi on fire - Google Search

VW on fire - Google Search

ferrari on fire - Google Search

porsche on fire - Google Search

lamborghini on fire - Google Search

gas station on fire - Google Search

fire engine burning - Google Search

ETC ...

Energy Storage of any sort in a moving object is a risk albeit statistically a very low percentage one on the grand scale of things.

Thats not quite true ... a quick bit of googling reveals many Leafs have burnt to the ground, along with every other type of vehicle you can think of :-

ETC ...

Energy Storage of any sort in a moving object is a risk albeit statistically a very low percentage one on the grand scale of things.
I agree can not make 100% fire proof but why not strive to make safer if possible. As investor I certainly don't want to see recall BUT this would be a better time to recall while battery supply limited than later with plant going all out. I guess just looking for silver lining

ETC ...

This a GREAT post. Thanks for doing some homework.

The stock is rebounding a bit! Could it soon be trading at the intraday high?

We saw panic selling this morning. The price was down nearly $57 from the high on September 30. The so-so earnings report followed by another fire spooked the weak longs. These fires have been without injury and far less damaging than the countless fires that occur every day with internal combustion engines. Nevertheless, I’m confident that Tesla engineers will develop a cost effective method of further reducing the likelihood of fires.

I suspect that some potential good news was held back during the earnings report conference call due to lack of full proof for the analysts. Battery supply problems may actually be near resolution, and I would not be surprised by a formal announcement about a partnership to develop a huge factory for the production of batteries. I expect guidance during the next conference call to be clearer and rather rosy. We also may hear soon from the president with an answer to the petition requesting federal assistance in assuring that states do not interfere with interstate commerce by requiring Tesla to sell and service through middlemen.

Meanwhile, I’m the author of “The Investor’s Guide to Technical Analysis” published by McGraw-Hill. I see one of my pet patterns has emerged this morning. That’s an “Inverted Head and Shoulders” formation, which is quite bullish, especially when accompanied by high trading volume. It usually indicates that those who are most fearful of further declines have been washed out. In this case it is intra-day, but for the short-term it may indicate that the storm has passed and the coast is clear. As confirmation, after this morning’s low a bullish five-wave uptrending Elliott Wave pattern developed.

Last edited:
Red Channel:

HNo7qfZH.png

Why aren't you guys straddling this thing? At say $160. Long straddles are specifically made for this type of volatile market. Of course picking the strike price is the challenge but it seems like any around the cmv would work. Single direction strategies seem a riskier choice in this type of enviroment. Haven't seen much talk about collaring to protect gain but then perhaps folks were way more bullish and didn't feel the need.

As an engineer i believe there is room for improvement in the bottom design of model s. Its not normal that its catching fire every time
Im invested long term with 6 digit worth. My stop loss is 100 €. So maybe it will be executed today.

Have you considered that we are only hearing about the ones that catch fire? There can be any number of accidents occurring daily that would never be reported or blasted to social media because nothing out of the ordinary happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.